Cocoon : the opening of the cocoon scene *spoilers*

the opening of the cocoon scene *spoilers*

*spoilers*

The scene where Bernie ruins everything by blabbing his big yap and the alien gets mortally wounded.
Did anyone else cry? I thought that was one of the saddest scenes in a film I've seen. It makes me cry EVERY time.
The whole idea of an innocent, confused and friendly alien looking desperately at his friend for help.

I also have to say those special effects were brilliantly done . I forgot for a few seconds there that it was make-believe! That's a true sign of incredible talent in effects.

Anyone else cry??

When every now and then, the Piper.... dreams again.

Re: the opening of the cocoon scene *spoilers*

Anyone??

"I'd say this cloud is Cumulo Nimbus."
"Didn't he discover America?"
"Penfold, shush."

Yeah that scene really was sad good movie too.

Yes, I have seen the film many times. I still feel moved in the scene.

"Eye of the Beholder"

The music certainly helped, I think. And the fact that the fun was now over with the pool no longer working.

Yes, in many ways it showed the senior citizens and in fact humans generally to be thoughtless and rather clumsy which is exactly what we are - destroying everything in range even if unintentionally. It was a very sad scene and I think also enhanced by the fact we see dolphins circling near the start of the film which indicated that the Aliens were kind of at one with them and the ocean and didn't deserve to have the life literally sucked out of them!

"Has anyone seen my wife?" - Columbo

I wanted to punch all of the old people who went into the pool. Knowing that they were they reason the alien died angered me. And all of them got to go with the aliens in the end.

Three main elements come together to make this such a desperately sad and emotion-evoking scene... a. the top-notch alien ceature effects (can't beat the practical-puppetry-done-well of the past over the "un-REAL" c.g.i. of these days)... b. Brian Dennehy's heart-tugging performance and real tears... and c. James Horner's towering music score (one of his all-time finest) - and all of course wrapped-up in Ron Howard's masterful direction. Fantastic scene.

I think the other facet that makes the scene so powerful is Walter's forgiveness and understanding later. That Walter was so kind in the face of having been grievously hurt and betrayed makes him seem more alien than all the special effects in the world.

That Walter was so kind in the face of having been grievously hurt and betrayed makes him seem more alien than all the special effects in the world.

Would you think that of Jesus? lol

This is the highlight of Cocoon.
Xtreme Feels.