Moon : on the moon?

on the moon?

I realize it's common -- like 99% of the time -- to ignore gravity in SF movies, but I find it very difficult to buy someone running on a treadmill on the moon! My advice: when you're cheating -- try not to make it obvious.

Re: on the moon?

Apparently there's an artificial gravity field inside the moonbase. When Sam was hopping outside the moonbase, they did try to make it look like there was less gravity.

______
Keiko Matsui & Carl Anderson - "A Drop of Water"
http://youtu.be/kPUENUUuqSk

Hi yurenchu, Thanks for the reply.
I didn't see that part. How well did they do with that?
Bruce

The hopping outside? Not so well. They specifically showed in a special features (or was it just a mention in the director's commentary? I don't remember...) where they made it a point that they had to do everything on the utter cheap, because they had a minimal budget; it mentioned the hopping as an example. (The movie was made during the WGA strike, so there were few to no big budget studio projects that hired experienced film crew. Moon had a small budget but benefited from hiring quite good/experienced/inventive crew (SFX guys, set builders, decorators) for relatively little money, who had to create sets and effects on a budget/with little resources.)

______
Keiko Matsui & Carl Anderson - "A Drop of Water"
http://youtu.be/kPUENUUuqSk

I still have the movie recorded so I watched some more. Saw scenes with a jeep-like vehicle. It seems to me that you could pretty easily fake some low gravity in a vehicle like that by filming the vehicle going fast over bumps and such -- then play it back slowed down so it looks more like floating over bumps. I think slow motion could help in other situations, too.

Apparently there's an artificial gravity field inside the moonbase.
I can't tell if you're saying that facetiously or not. I suspect you are. Artificial Gravity has long been a standard cop-out for not creating low (or zero) gravity scenes -- especially considering the extreme unlikelihood of ever having such a capability.

If and when we actually get to Mars and have actual high quality video, maybe the general public will become familiar enough with reality, to no longer be quite so willing to accept the current short cuts.

Well to be fair, as much as i like Space and Sci-Fi, but i am very willing to suspend disbelief for Artificial Gravity inside a base on the Moon.

This was not a movie about objects being all floaty in Space, especially considering the budget, it was a dramatic movie about what it takes to be, and the circle of life, at least, thats what i took from it.

If i want things to float in Space, i will watch Gravity, but that movie has its own problems too.

Btw, im sorry if youre now stuck with Elton John in your head...

I skip reading the bottom line, because it is usually some lame signature.