Orson Welles : Young Orson Welles, handsome?

Young Orson Welles, handsome?

Hey guys! I just wanted to know if anyone else thought that Orson Welles was really handsome in his Citizen Kane days, other than me.I hope I'm not the only one that thinks he was really attractive.

-Kristin

Re: Young Orson Welles, handsome?

Orson was an attractive man before he put on all that weight.

Charismatic too.

Orson Welles has quite a few of my favorite faces; many of his own invention. He certainly has my favorite voice! If you want to see him at his most breathtaking, see "Prince of Foxes" wherein he plays Cesare Borgia. As Harry Lime in "The Third Man" his look is one of bland innocence. Until his eyes twinkle with mischief. There is a radio station you can get on the net using radiotime.com It is called MPIR [Mystery Play Internet Radio] There are also several sites that have lots of his radio days available on line. Great stuff.

-Mrs. Ross

Im 17 and I watched The Third Man for the first time and when Harry got his first shot of the movie and hes smirking in the light i kind of went......"Oh wow"

I love the way he looked when he was young ( he carried all that weight very nicely :) Also , a tall and well built man with an innocent face & deep voice is such a hot and sexy combination . Watch him in "Jane Eyre " and you will know who was the real Roc 5b4 hester ;)

i agree very handsome in jane eyre i watch it at least once a month

Not handsome, but attractive.

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

I've always thought he was very sexy when he was younger. The voice, the height, the attitude, those dark eyes...they all made a nice package.

Time of your life, huh, kid?

Oh definitely. He was gorgeous as Rochester, even though he's not necessarily my favourite in that role. :) Or maybe I'm being unfair, considering it's really the adaptation as such that I have an issue with.

This is always a great misunderstanding.
Welles was as made up playing young Kane as he was the elderly Kane. As well as wore a girdle.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Made up in them too.
He was made up in all his films, especially falses noses, the one and only exception is The Third Man at Carol Reeds insistance. No make up, no false nose, no nothing.

Post deleted

So what if he was made up , I don't think you can "make up "the captivating voice , the height and the strong built and this face with touch of child like innocence . Nowadays, actors are almost always heavily made-up or either airbrushed stilll they are no match to welles and other classic actors ..!

Post deleted

I had a crush on him just for his voice after listening to him as The Shadow and Gabriel Syne in The Man Who Was Thursday. Pity he aged so poorly. How hard it must have been to go from playing dashing leading men to villains!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Speak softly and carry a sakabatou."

well, that's just silly -- I suppose he wore make up for his radio work in the 30's too, right? no make up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Orson_Welles_1937.jpg

and he didn't wear a girdle in "Kane," he wore a back brace (so he would walk stiffly as an old Kane).

I think he was very handsome in the 30's & 40's (and he was definitely considered so by many young ladies, and others, at the time).

Considering he's the one that said that, I don't really believe him. Neither did his good friend Peter Bogdanovich who was doing the interview. Plenty of contemporary candid photographs exist that bear this out; he was just being self-deprecating.

"It's that kind of idiocy that I empathize with." ~David Bowie

Oh my goodness, yes. If you haven't seen it yet, get hold of a copy of "Prince of Foxes." He plays Cesare Borgia. Actually, I don't think he was ever unattractive. If a person was really unsure, all they had to do was stick around until Mr. Welles began to speak.

No doubt about it. Orson was a handsome man.

Yes, sir, I'm going to do nothing like she's never been done before!

Makeup or not, he was hot.

If only he'd taken a little exercise now and then. He seemed to age faster than anyone I've ever seen.

I dunno. He looked pretty much the same until about the mid-fifties, which would make him forty. Most people start to go down hill after that.

Though he always had beautiful hands, even after he started gaining weight like crazy.

Post deleted

YES.
EXTREMELY.

I think he looked best in Citizen Kane, The Third Man and Lady from Shanghai.

YES YES YES! Not only was he very attractive, but he also had a "voice that works a nerve". I think that the closest to Orson's double threat we have today is Seth MacFarlane.

He was beautiful. Guh. He's also got the presence, the voice, and the comportment. Makes him a bit devastating.

I just bought The War of the Worlds book. It comes with a cd of the original radio broadcast that he did and a short 5 page thing in the front about Orson with quite a few 16d0 pics. Looking at the pics I kept thinking "Damn, he was a bit of a hottie in his early days!"

He was gorgeous in his youth.

I think he was a pleasant looking and charming old man.

HOT HOT HOT! Can I tell you, I saw the movie for the first time today 16d0 and my lips tingled when I saw him. My lips actually tingled.

Yes, and without question. A very handsome man in his younger years.

Very handsome :o)

So, like a forgotten fire, a childhood can always flare up again within us.
G. Bachelard

I just watched Citizen Kane for the first time today and he was quite handsome when he was young in it which completely surprised me since I've only seen him older and meatier lol.

real human being and a real hero

Orson was GORGEOUS when he was younger! The way he carries him self, the dark eyes, the voice, his 2000 height.....OMG, he would have been a guy I would have a crush on if he were alive today.

For starts I think I'll break your neck.-Charles Kane (Citizen Kane)

woooahh very handsome :)

Orson's voice alone made him sexy. But when he was young and before he put on weight (around 1949), he was adorable. I wouldn't call him "handsome," but he was definitely VERY attractive.

I just watched Jane Eyre again and he was very handsome, sexy and with a great voice.

Welles had the confidence [arrogance], charisma, voice b68 and talent that made him a striking presence even if he wasn't really traditionally handsome. He was good looking enough to play the romantic lead when the situation called for it.

I found him handsome. I don't care about him gaining weight. I'm not shallow like the person who responded first.

------------------------------
"I am just a grain of sand on your beach..." - FNM

I'm not shallow like the person who responded first.

Not "shallow", just the truth.

Hey at least this thread isn't one of those "Women do you like ____ and would you do him" posts from that weirdo on here lol.

Welles was considered a romantic idol of sorts. He was often cast as the brooding and romantic type from 1941-1949.

Welles was considered handsome, but he was a different type. His was more of an intellectual attractiveness. He wasn't extraordinarily handsome like Tryone Power, and he wasn't rugged like many of the actors who were starting to dominate cinema in the 40s [John Garfield, Sterling Hayden, John Wayne, Dana Andrews, Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Robert Mitchum, Richard Widmark, Robert Ryan, Glenn Ford, William Holden, Gregory Peck, Robert Preston, Van Heflin, etc].

Welles was more suited as a brooding romantic lead rather than a traditional or rugged one.