Actors and Actresses : Poll: Which diva would come out on top?

Which diva would come out on top?

Which of these bona fide divas would come out on top if push came to shove? Nerve, audacity, resourcefulness, ruthlessness and fearlessness all count!

Bette Davis
0% 0 votes
Lucille Ball
0% 0 votes
Elizabeth Taylor
0% 0 votes
Shirley MacLaine
0% 0 votes
Alexis Carrington
0% 0 votes
Madonna
0% 0 votes
Tallulah Bankhead
0% 0 votes
Oprah
0% 0 votes
Dame Edna Everage
0% 0 votes
Joan Crawford
0% 0 votes

"My life is over. I might as well dance with Johnny Slash!"

Re: Which diva would come out on top?

Edit: Dame Edna, you've got me under your spell!!!

What I don't get is, what was wrong with the natural shape of her top lip???

Same with Lucy, just apply lipstick on your natural lip line, you're not Susan Lucci who barely has an upper lip

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

How's this

Tried fixing her lazy eye too, but there's only so much that can be done, I'm afraid.

Fantastic!!!👍

You asked a pretty question; I've given you the ugly answer.
Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

Beautiful!!! 💗💗💗

You are very talented!

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

How's this

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

I never noticed this on Bette Davis. With Lucy, it was just super obvious.

I was inclined to pick Dame Edna. So a big yahoo to whomever voted for her. And she might just be the one to win because she is the lady most capable of total disarmament, without a doubt.

I don’t see the grand Dame as being ruthless though. She’s a parody of all the divas that she would have admired and emulated.

This is a hard call for me and I might even go for the one and only Mommie Dearest, but her flaws and issues became transparent to others in her later years.

MD was just respected because of her standing. Christina sure put a tarnish on her frightful mother’s high and mighty persona and even emboldened it for her in a sense. She gave JC notoriety and Joan would have even relished that.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

No, Dame Edna was really none of those things. Well, maybe she had nerve! But I put her down because she had this thing about herself where she could get right to the bone each of these females' essential weaknesses and exploited them all for 100% full proof comedy gold!

I guess what Dame Edna had was perceptiveness and irony.

I guess what Dame Edna had was perceptiveness and irony.
And nothing but rib tickling tongue in cheek hilarity and all in the best possible taste, well for a Dame who is as moralistic as can be considering her desires and her juices……

I watched this earlier today with Dame Edna interviewing Cher, with Bea Arthur, Mel Gibson, Jack Palance and Larry Hagman who was a great sport. She wouldn't even let Gibson come inside….

Oh, yes, hilarity out the butt! Oh, what a funny funny funny character! Just hysterical.

I remember that episode. Mel is sitting in a sauna wearing a towel.. What a handsome guy. He had a good sense of humor, too. I remember Larry Hagman, too. Doesn't he talk about the BONG parties he gave on the beach? He was a cool guy.

In this one, Mel is only outside on the t.v. camera begging to come in. He is fully clothed and Edna pretends like she doesn't even know who he is. Cher then confronts Edna about her nasty side and asks her what's wrong?

Hagman gets eliminated and ends up in her inside pool and then drips water all over Madge. Edna makes him sit on Madge's little chair in the corner because its already wet….

When Bea comes in, her and Cher just ignore Edna having their own private conversation and a plant pot soon gets broken near them to get back her attention. 😆

I look at Davis, a genuine goddess, and I feel like I would have no qualms about kowtowing before her. I would not be worthy and would have no choice but to be humble.

I feel the same way about Bette Davis. In addition to her goddess quality, Davis had a fabulous sense of humor and that says a lot about the person. JC did not give off the semblance of humor in any of her movie roles.

I'm not compelled to watch JC in a movie. It would be a horrific experience….😱

I haven't voted yet Mr. H, help me out here please…..

Okay!

Bette was fearless and fought the male producers at Warner Brothers in the 40s and did not back down and her gift for having such guts was the starring role in "All About Eve". She had class right up to the end. When asked what she wanted to have on her epitaph, Davis replied "She did it the hard way"…

Lucille Ball was a pioneer in television and with ILL, it is said that around the globe, not one person has logged more hours on tv than Miss Ball. She had self-confidence in spades. When Joan Crawford guest starred on Ball's later program, "Here's Lucy", she would hide her 100 proof Smirnoff vodka in a hat box, and Ball would sneak up behind Crawford and tease her, "Whatcha got in there?"

Elizabeth Taylor did all the pioneering work with HIV/AIDS when everybody else was scared to death. Despite her incredible beauty, she seemed to be very down to earth and fearless. Huge heart. She was sometimes referred to as "Mother Courage".

Joan Crawford grew balls and busted them, too, keeping herself relevant in Hollywood for five decades. Interestingly, every decade saw in her a completely different persona. She is often regarded as the Ultimate Movie Star…

Madonna - I am not a fan and don't know much about her. Though it seems she deserves a place on this list. She came from humble beginnings and became the face of the 80s, at least in the music scene.

Ditto Oprah, though I thoroughly dislike her. Undoubtedly, she is the wealthiest woman on this list, with the most power and clout.

Shirley MacLaine - She probably would never win a poll like this, but I just can't help but regard her as a real fighting spirit. She was the only female to be a member of Hollywood's famous "Rat Pack" (well, maybe Angie Dickinson) and she kept at her acting for 28 years, focused on winning an Oscar. When I think of MacLaine and this arc of her story, I think of how many truly fine, riveting performances she gave all the way through and right up until her deserved Oscar win for ToE. Because after that, she became a crowd-pleasing type performer overnight. I don't think she has given an intelligent or subtle performance since. But she's obviously a fighter and has stayed busy acting for almost 8 decades.

Tallulah Bankhead - just for sheer wit and audacity. She was extremely competitive and I don't think she ever lost a fight. I find her dazzling. One of the most audacious quips of all time- "My father warned me about men and booze… He never said a word about women and cocaine." Woah!

I put down Alexis Carrington for fun as I was watching an episode of "Dynasty" when I created the poll. I'll let this clip speak for Alexis!

Finally Dame Edna earns her place on this list because with one of her classic crazy facial expressions, she could take out every other woman on this list! They wouldn't even know what hit them!

Thanks for the insightful and passionate write up Mr. Hutch.

After all that, I go with the Dame, she would leave the whole lot of them flabbergasted and holding their bellies in fits of laughter…..

Oprah. She created a media empire around her name.

Must you even ask?

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Bette was my number 2 choice. Love her!

I also love her look in this film. The hair, that dress! Irl, what color do you picture the dress to be, MissMargoChanning? I think it might be a darker shade of green.

I can't even imagine Claudette Colbert as Margo Channing.

And Gary Merrill was SEXY!!!

I agree. I always loved the way she looked in that movie. So stylish, and the hair was very Tallulah Bankhead, as in Lifeboat.

psssst…. Tallulah may have been another diva…

As for the dress? You thought green. I thought a deep red.
After googling it, it seems we are both wrong…

Image result for what color was bette davis dress in all about eve

In the film's most memorable scenes (and in the press photos), Davis wears a brown silk grosgrain dress with fur-trimmed pockets and cuffs, floor-length on her 5'3" frame. The iconic gown later appeared on the cover of Edith Head's Hollywood, and Bette David wrote the forward for the book.Oct 6, 2007

I'm so glad that Colbert was unable to do the picture. I just can't see her in the part of Margo. Davis really sold it!
As for Gary Merrill, I agree! I love hairy guys!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Dark brown, wow. A rich chocolate brown can be very attractive, but I never would have guessed that for her dress.

I'm sure you've long known about how she had broken some vocal cords (probably arguing! lol!) and it gave her the fabulous husky Margo voice.

Also, I remember reading how Edith Head (I think) pulled the dress down off her shoulders, which was not the planned way.

I believe too, darker earthier colors are best for black and white cinematography.

Monroe and Baxter are also wearing yellow. Lighter colors can dominate more in B&W and I guess this would have been the point with their characters. Of course Davis just dominated by being Davis.

I think Liz Taylor because she was really super famous and was still in the spotlight even when she was not making as many movies later on.
She just never went away until she died.

A lot of the others, even those still alive, are sorta like, "What happened to….?"
With Liz you never had to ask that.

"Please vote to preserve the unique character of Warren…" - Robert Duvall

A lot of the others, even those still alive, are sorta like, "What happened to….?"
With Liz you never had to ask that.

Ahhhhh… the ding dong has spoken.

Liz was no Diva. She was a fantastic actress. She was also an advocate for Aids research.
She was a charitable lady…

That hardly screams DIVA…

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Who would you replace Taylor with, MissMargoChanning, with a more suitable diva?

Diana Ross.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

This friend of mine met Diana Ross when she was touring. He did the flower arrangements for her and she complained. He was a top florist, felt insulted and said she was a f<>king bitch….

I believe it!

Her fellow Supreme, Mary Wilson, certainly had the stories about her.
I believe i read the book about her… "Call Me Miss Ross"? or something like that….

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

I'd say it would be a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of scenario with Ross.

I didn't see my friends flower arrangements he did for her, as this was before I knew him. I am not being biased, but he was a brilliant and natural artiste with flower arrangements. What he would have done for her would have been beautiful. She must've thought she was "supreme" by the sound of it.

I like The Wiz - '78 for many interesting reasons and one of the many missteps it took was the casting of Ross. It misfired many times and yet hidden amongst all its debris of booby prize explosions, is a production that had the sincerest of intentions which remained lost and couldn't find its way home.

I don't like her, but that's still pretty cool that your friend met La Ross. Did he tell if there was any conversational exchange?

Ross would complain no matter what. It really says something about society how those with the biggest egos can sometimes end up the most successful.

No, I didn't ask. He just got all worked up when he talked about her.

I heard her on the car radio today. She is an ok singer, but can be a bit shrill as well.

Diana Ross would make a really good choice. Liz lacked the bitchery, which La Ross had in spades.

I remember reading a story when Ross and her little boy were sitting in their seats in an airplane. The stewardess asked the boy if he cared for a snack or something to drink. And in what I would say in a completely friendly manner, the stewardess had gently placed her hand on the boy's shoulder.

Well, La Ross couldn't have been more bothered by that bit of business. She stood up and slapped the stewardess. "Don't you dare touch my child."

What a bitch. And a really bad example to set for your child.

There was an incident too when she objected to airport security patting her down once and she got cited for assault.

I remember reading that.

Also the semi-infamous "boob flap" thing that Ross pulled on Lil' Kim at the MTV awards. I don't even know what to think here. Maybe Ross was trying to take Kim down a peg or two?

A narcissist will do anything for attention, especially if they revel in publicity. Like they say, even bad publicity can be good publicity.

Incredible and sad… To be so full of one's self that you treat people like that. Ross is the first person I think of when the word, Diva comes up.

As for Elizabeth Taylor, while she was a big name movie star, I have read so many stories about her and the kindnesses toward her friends and family, not to mention animals… you gotta love anyone who cares for animals.
I'm sorry, but I can't think of her as a Diva.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

I must have been blinded by her dazzling beauty.

Plus I came up with the list fairly quickly.

I like your list, and the topic is a good one! It's fun to see what others think, and it certainly opens the door for good conversation. We need that here. 🙂👍

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

…it certainly opens the door for good conversation. We need that here. 🙂👍
Hutch is always good for this. Full of insights and fun and interesting ones too.

Absolutely. I am always interested in what he has to say.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

And I feel the same about reading your posts. You are definitely one of the more literate (as well as friendly) posters here.

Some people would disagree about the friendly part.
I just get irritated with stupidity.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

I like to have things be fun. You know that about me, Toasted Cheese!

You do! I can be a lot darker at times and it can boost me up.

That makes me feel good. Thank you for telling me so.

💜💙💚

Its like a little tickle with a feather, a giggle and can be a snap out. Don't ever underestimate yourself……💙