Current Events : Water park accused of racism

Water park accused of racism

A father has accused a Kansas City water park of racism after it abruptly called off the birthday party for his son when 500 people allegedly arrived and made staff feel 'uncomfortable.'

Chris Evans said he signed a $2,000 contract with Summit Waves Aquatic Facility in Lee's Summit to host 250 people for his 17-year-old son's birthday party on Saturday, but officials said a crowd twice the size appeared.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Evans said his family was told 'this event doesn't represent Lee's Summit Waves' and that his reservation was canceled because a park official was 'uncomfortable.'

A video of the heated argument with the Evans family and a park employee shows the family demanding an answer, with the official not giving a clear response as she's flanked by police officers.

'If this was a large group of white folks, there wouldn't be a problem,' a family member tells the employee, who shakes her head no as the park denies the allegations.

Evans says: 'I know you don't know us, I just want to know why you're uncomfortable with us.'
Park department officials said up to 500 people showed up in the parking lot for the party, with the park having a size capacity limit of 600.

But Evans claimed the event was canceled before the teenagers arrived and there was 'never anything close to 500 kids in the parking lot.'

'It appears to have been canceled simply because the park staff was uncomfortable with a group of Black teenagers having a pool party to enjoy the end of the summer,' Evans said during Tuesday's conference.

Officials said they grew worried about the event after other parents called asking about party details and safety concerns due to the size.

After several unsuccessful efforts to reach the Evans prior to their arrival, the department decided to cancel the party, according to the statement.

'Safety pertaining to the anticipated crowd size and the potential impact it might have on party guests and the staff was the sole reason for the cancellation,' the statement said.
The incident comes amid backlash against Sesame Street's themes park and Chuck E. Cheese, where black parents claimed their children were snubbed by costumed mascots due to their race.

Earlier this week, Naney D. Muhammad told TMZ she was unimpressed by an apology she was given by Chuck E. Cheese corporate and that she planned to litigate to find some resolution against a chain in Wayne, New Jersey.

In it, Cheese could be seen handing out a hearty helping of high fives to a stage full of white children, before seemingly completely ignoring the ebullient and jubilant black two-year-old at his feet.

'My 2-year-old was racially discriminated against,' Muhammed wrote with the video, 'As you can see, he gives all of the yt kids hi-5s and PURPOSELY ignored my black baby.'

The latest lawsuit announcement comes after the family of the two girls who were seemingly snubbed by a character at a Sesame Place in Langhorne, Pennsylvania, revealed they were suing the park for $25 million.

Re: Water park accused of racism

Imagine if Christina decided to go to a water park one day and then these hundreds of black people showed up 😂

My password is password

she planned to litigate to find some resolution
revealed they were suing the park for $25 million.
what? you can't sue because someone in a costume snubbed your kid. they probably can't even see out of the costume, so they didn't mean to snub anyone. even if they did, the kid won't remember 5 minutes later. they don't deserve money for that

Chris Evans said he signed a $2,000 contract with Summit Waves Aquatic Facility in Lee's Summit
He's a movie star, can't he find a better place for a party?

He broke the contract and now it is racism against him?

And how can they know 500 ppl?
They probably printed and put up flyers in the ghetto and made online announcements for an open party at the water park.

Is it creative to have an uncreative signature such as this one?

The man's son is a "YouTube influencer"

Joe Snook, assistant administrator of Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation said the Evans party was canceled after his staff became aware of social media posts advertising the event. “This raised serious concerns about the safety of party guests and the possibility the event would grow beyond the capacity of staff.”

Of course teens posted on social media. “How else would they invite 250 people to their party?” Chris Evans asked. Isaiah Evans is a YouTube influencer with more than 64,000 followers across the country. But that’s no reason to assume all those followers would show up for a private two-hour pool party in Lee’s Summit.

So what’s the message? If you’re popular on social media, which nearly every teen wants to be, you can’t post about a Summit Waves party? But as Evans family attorney Ivan Nugent told us, the park’s party contract “encourages” customers to promote events there on social media. It’s Summit Waves’ responsibility to count how many people enter for a party. The park had a contract for hosting up to 250 guests. It should have been prepared to manage that number.

City officials say about 500 teens showed up at the aquatic facility — a number the family disputes. “That’s not true,” Nugent said. Half the people in the parking lot were leaving after spending the day at the facility. They lingered after noticing the Evans were being turned away, he said.

Chris himself had taken extra measures for crowd control, above and beyond the contract’s requirements. He said he hired additional security, including five unarmed guards and one armed officer, and arranged for about a dozen adults to chaperone and patrol the parking lot. “We wanted everyone to show up, have a good time and for everyone to be safe,” he said.

Teens?
The park staff just wanted to be sure the water did not turn yellow with that many in the pool at the same time.

Is it creative to have an uncreative signature such as this one?

The park was prepared for 250 initially, not another 250 gate crashers.

Such a cheap shot to hide behind the racism card….

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

If this was a large group of white folks, there wouldn't be a problem

Which is heavier:

a pound of f̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ blacks
0% 0 votes
a pound of b̶r̶i̶c̶k̶s̶ whites
0% 0 votes

My password is password

Shit happens.

Just like in your pants.

My password is password

I like your theme.
Whenever you get tired of it, I might borrow it.

You can't please all of the people all the time.

My password is password