Current Events : UK roads seen melting into black goo

UK roads seen melting into black goo

Tarmac can revert back to a liquid state once it reaches a certain temperature and two roads across northern England have melted with motorists left feeling like they were "driving through water."

Extreme temperatures melted busy roads across the UK as the searing heatwave continues to cause travel chaos.

Broadstone Road in Stockport, Greater Manchester, was turned into sticky black goo as the heat liquified the asphalt.

One onlooker said it sounded like cars were "driving through water" and described how his feet sank into the soft road surface.

They added: "It sounded like it had just rained and the cars were driving through the puddles. It was that soft your feet got stuck in it if you walked across. The tarmac was all stuck in the treads of my tyres."

Roads in Lincolnshire have also started to "melt" as surface temperatures exceed 54C.

Lincolnshire Police Sgt Mike Templeman shared an image on social media. It appeared to show the road surface sinking as he investigated a collision in Blyton, near Gainsborough.

He said: "Currently out dealing with a single vehicle RTC near Blyton and the road is starting to melt under us."

Temperatures hit a record 34.3C in Greater Manchester yesterday - beating the previous record of 33.9C from July 25, 2019.

Roads in the sun can get as hot as 50C, and at these temperatures, they begin to become soft, according to the Road Surface Treatments Association.

This is because the road surface absorbs heat and this builds up during the day. When temperatures soar, some councils grit the roads to prevent them from melting.

Asphalt is a bit like chocolate – it melts and softens when it’s hot and goes hard and brittle when it’s cold – it doesn’t maintain the same strength all year round.

Re: UK roads seen melting into black goo

London had fires all over yesterday. It's crazy.

The roads melting are nothing new tho lol

/. is like a box of chocolates, you never know which one you're gonna get.

Luton Airport cancels ALL flights after runway melts in extreme heatwave

A popular UK airport suspended all of its flights for nearly three hours today after the tarmac melted in boiling temperatures.

Luton Airport, which has one runway, is used by airlines including EasyJet, Wizz Air, Ryanair and TUI as temperatures in Luton have reached 36C today.

The last flight believed to have taken off before the airport suspended departures was at 3.07pm. A spokesperson announced that all flights outbound were suspended and any flights scheduled to arrive at Luton airport were being diverted.

Nearly three hours later, an airport spokesperson confirmed that flights leaving the airport resumed at 5.40pm. However, inbound flights are still suspended or diverted from Luton Airport.
It comes as parts of the country could see Death Valley highs of 42C today as Brits are warned to "stay indoors, do as little as possible" and avoid public transport as the heatwave forces hospitals to cancel appointments and some schools close.

The rise in temperatures has forced the UK Health Security Agency to issue a level 4 heat-health alert alongside the Met Office red warning running from Monday to Wednesday and the chief executive of the College of Paramedics has warned that the “ferocious heat” could result in people dying.

and some schools close
Why are schools open in the middle of July? What a weird country.

My password is password

Last week this week.

They should've been released last month.

My password is password

Not when the country is ran by retards. Tbf it never really mattered here cuz the weather was always **** 😄

But they get off more during the rest of the year. It's better. The way we do it in the US is outdated and suits and agrarian society.

ᴳᵒ ᶠᵘᶜᵏ ʸᵒᵘʳˢᵉˡᶠ

"stay indoors, do as little as possible"
oh no, what will the uk posters here do, they're usually so active

My password is password

Wasn't that a British Rap Group?

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤨 Let's go, Brandon! 🤨 Try that in a small town.

Re: UK roads seen MELTING into BLACK GOO!!…

BLACK GOO??

"THAT'S SOME BAD SHIT, HARRY!".

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤨 Let's go, Brandon! 🤨 Try that in a small town.

There are much hotter places in the summer heat than Manchester. Do their roads melt. Must be the tarmac mix. Non-news!!!

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

SHRIEK!!!! Who caresss about Old Blighty, we livessss in Oz!!!

Precious Hutch and I get stuck in the melted road, riding dingos, several times a year!!!! And that's in winter!!!

This be yous precious, melting in the fallen Blighty roadsies.

Hisssssssss………

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

We don't worry about roads melting here in Drake, Arizona. The only heat related failure I've had has been with a motion detector. It's not guaranteed to work above 33°C. I only know of one failure and it was at 36°C.

[center] [hr] [poll multiple] [s] [sic] [sub]2[/sub] [sup]th[/sup] [u]  

I USED to live in Yavapai County, but NOT in the town of Drake. NEVER heard of it (TIL now)! So that's WHY you're DRAKESTRAW?? NOT that it's your FIRST, MIDDLE or LAST name?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake,_Arizona

What's the population of this UNINCORPORATED community? The link above DOESN'T mention that.

"THAT'S SOME BAD SHIT, HARRY!".

What's the population of this UNINCORPORATED community?
Don't know anyone else who lives here. It's an old railroad town with a lot of idle boxcars. I haven't knocked on any doors to count the hobo population. I don't live in downtown Drake. You might say I live in Greater Drake. I adopted it as my character's hometown, because I thought it had a cool name! There's a big cement factory in Drake. Easily, more people work here than live here.

[center] [hr] [poll multiple] [s] [sic] [sub]2[/sub] [sup]th[/sup] [u]  

What online rag is that from? They should be shot for instant tautology.

Reverting back indeed. 😂

Our pavement in the UK isn't made as sturdy as it is in the US. Therefore it melts a lot with this heat. It's like a Custard 🍮.

Travel influenser, Skyrizi theme song writer and Most Handsome