Music General : The song Bohemian Rhapsody is obviously about a man on death row

The song Bohemian Rhapsody is obviously about a man on death row

A man on death row in the America, up for the electric chair, as told from his 1st person perspective. Queen are from the UK yet were popular in America around this time, and the execution method in America was a foreign concept to him.

At least, in my opinion. Once you have this idea, the lyrics become more literal and less cryptic.

The first three verses are pretty self-explanatory, he's in prison, about to be put to death, reflecting on his life. He's just a poor boy… tells his mom what he did…yada.

Too late, my time has come
Sends shivers down my spine
Body's aching all the time
Goodbye everybody I've got to go
Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth

His body's aching from being in prison: either the strict regime of a prison sentence, fights and/or rapes with other prisoners, or physical assaults by the guards.

I see a little silhouetto of a man
Scaramouch, Scaramouch will you do the Fandango
Thunderbolt and lightning very very frightening me
Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, figaro, magnifico

At this point, the man is being attached to the electric chair; he makes out only a "silhouette" of a man due to the burlap sack placed on his head. He imagines the man is "Scaramouch" which is a joker character from Italian theatre and England's Punch & Judy puppet shows known for being a boasting and cowardice, and had an evil joker grin. He's calling the man about to pull the switch a boastful coward who gets off on putting people to death.

"Fandango" is a Spanish dance where you move your arm high in the air, then down quickly, which reflects the arm movement of the death row executioner who pulls the switch. He's basically mocking the executioner but also trying to find humor with sarcasm. Of course their are minor details we can interpret, but that is a basic elucidation.

Thunderbolt and lightning very very frightening me - referring to the his fear of electrocution that's just moments away.
Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, figaro, magnifico - expressing his fear.

Bismillah, no we will not let you go, let him go
Bismillah, we will not let you go, let him go
Bismillah, we will not let you go, let me go

Bismilliah means "In the name of God." The man is saying, "God please let me go. God responds no, in his own mind.

Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me for me for me

In folklore and some religious beliefs, Beelzebub is of the names for the devil, or a devil, who had demons/devils working under him (like Baal, Lucifer, etc.). Those who went to hell were assigned a demon/devil. He's basically saying he's going to go to hell and they know he's coming.

Discuss.

Re: The song Bohemian Rhapsody is obviously about a man on death row

If I'm not back again this time tomorrow
Carry on, carry on, as if nothing really matters

I take one minor detail back. The man says "if I'm not back again this time tomorrow" which means he's either on trial, and tomorrow refers to his verdict, or he's awaiting to see if his execution is appealed. So I think there's a leap to the future when he is being executed.

A very interesting explanation. Thanks.

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😼

Water is wet.

I don’t like myself, you know. I love myself, of course. I'm devoted to myself till my dying day. But I don't like myself.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Freddie said

“It’s one of those songs which has such a fantasy feel about it. I think people should just listen to it, think about it, and then make up their own minds as to what it says to them. Bohemian Rhapsody didn’t just come out of thin air. I did a bit of research although it was tongue-in-cheek and mock opera. Why not?”- Freddie Mercury