The Black Cat : The Black Cat (Albert S. Rogell, 1941)

The Black Cat (Albert S. Rogell, 1941)

The script is inspired by the Edgar Allan Poe story according to the opening credits, they should have added the words ‘very loosely’ since they basically retained simply the title and the presence of a black cat. Still, it has mood to spare and a great cast that includes Bela Lugosi, Basil Rathbone, Hugh Herbert, Gladys Cooper, Gale Sondergaard, Broderick Crawford and Alan Ladd. It ends up being more enjoyable than it should have been in spite of Herbert’s antics threatening to mess everything up. The whodunit twist is a good one and the last line is priceless. 7/10

It appears the health of wealthy spinster Henrietta Winslow, who lives with her pet cats and mysterious servants, is failing. Her greedy relatives descend on the isolated mansion hoping to inherit a portion of her vast fortune. Joining them is Gil Smith, an enterprising real estate broker who hopes Henrietta will sell him the property and his comic sidekick, Mr. Penny, an idiosyncratic furniture dealer who sees a treasure trove of profitable antiques in the mansion. Henrietta's doctor surprises everyone by announcing that his patient has defied the medical predictions and is currently in remission, much to the disappointment of her gathered family. Not content to wait until nature eventually takes her course, someone expedites the process by murdering the old woman with a knitting needle.

AVWwxe8.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033397/reference
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-black-cat-1941/

🚫👻 I'm not Sophie 👻🚫

Re: The Black Cat (Albert S. Rogell, 1941)

I like that movie a lot. I like all the films inspired by that story even if only loosely based on it. The Black Cat is my favourite Poe followed closely by The Tell-tale Heart.

I don't remember much about Poe's The Black Cat tbh but, yeah, The Tell-Tale Heart is great. Also The Raven and The Masque of the Red Death, both which have also been adapted quite wonderfully to the screen. Poe's stories feel already so cinematic, I think. Not saying the stories are rather easy to adapt them to the screen, I wouldnt say so, but they are called for being made into atmospheric and enjoyable spooky movies. 👻

🚫👻 I'm not Sophie 👻🚫

If you liked The Tell-Tale Heart as a story you'd love The Black Cat. It's been visited a few times cinematically but none that I recall did the story straight-up and I don't know why. It's SUCH a great story as it is.

I particularly liked the Fulci verion and the Argento version (because I love those two directors).

duly noted. i don't know Fulci but i also like Argento! yes.gif cheers.gif

🚫👻 I'm not Sophie 👻🚫

Fulci did a lot of gory movies with a great soundtracks. He's one of my all-time favourites. smile.gif