Cocoon : Sudden change in tone

Sudden change in tone

It's a pity that what starts out as a relatively quiet, sober film ends with such a cheesy, 80s "family entertainment" tone... I think the change happens after all the residents of the home get in the pool in a frenzy. It's understandable that the following scene showing the weakened aliens would be emotional... Also the one of Bernie, taking his wife Rose to the pool after she'd died. But it very quickly becomes overly sentimental and then the next thing you know, the music seems to come straight out of E.T. The little boy then becomes a prominent figure (and it's somehow important that he's not "scared" anymore)... Within minutes, it feels like a children's movie, like The Goonies. There's the silly chase scene, to satisfy the crowds' need for action... They could have finished the film with class, but ruined it instead (in my opinion).

Re: Sudden change in tone

I sort of disagree. I think that the shots of the boy and his grandpa fishing in the estuary, & the boy looking through the telescope when his mother comes into his room to talk to him about his grandparents' fate were very emotional and powerful. I know what you mean regarding the water chase scenes, those were a bit too "Goonies-esque," but generally I thought the film was very consistent and deeply moving.

www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-j-winograd/PETA-KILLS-PUPPIES-KITTENS_b_2979220.html

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

"Cocoon" is very much a child of "E.T." and indeed of its times... but is thankfully a hugely enjoyable, superbly-made, lovely and respectful one at that! Love it in its own right!

The trailer for Super 8 used James Horner's theme music from Cocoon. Super 8 was largely influenced by E.T., and was produced by E.T.'s director Steven Spielberg.

Well, there had to be some sort of problem. Remember, the others were keeping the pool a secret and when Bernie shot off his mouth about it in front of everybody, they all got excited and went over there. Because so many people used the pool at once, it drained the life force and ended the mission of bringing the cocoons home. What did you want to happen-nothing?

I'm not saying nothing should happened after that. I just don't like how the ending was handled. All subtlety was lost after a certain point and the movie lost its cool.

I kinda agree with this. First half had all this mystery and little subtle details that made for an awesome atmosphere. Then it gets a messy and it goes on overdrive.
I still loved the movie, a lot. Too bad Kitty didn't have that much of screentime, she was such a stunner.

It may've been a Dramedy for the first 3/4 of the film but it was still a sci-fi flick in the end and I didn't think the movie "lost it's cool" at all. Was the tone a lil different at the end? Sure. But it would've been pretty boring if all those old timers had just disappeared and the next day their familes cried and the movie was over. It needed an emotional climax and a bit of action and i'm glad they went with that.