The Sopranos : Show is about Tony becoming a full-blown sociopath?

Show is about Tony becoming a full-blown sociopath?

In the beginning of the show Tony still somewhat has some morals (barely). He was having panic attacks over his crisis of conscience and always dreamed of what his life would be like if he wasn’t in organized crime (the Kevin Finnerty coma dreams). He was already a murderer after being pressured into killing the bookie as a young man, but in season 1 his first kill of the show was the guy hiding out upstate, and slowly he became worse and more murderous once he was boss.

I think this show is about how absolute power corrupts absolutely, but also how Tony was warped from a young age by his monstrous parents (who are also portrayed as being sympathetic and human too). That is the genius of the show, and people are shaped by their environment, the phoniness of the American dream, the ease of pissing away your life, and how the cyclical familial violence and trauma is passed down to the next generation. I think the ending cut to black signified not that Tony was literally shot to death, but that he had reached a ‘dead end’ and there was no escape.

Re: Show is about Tony becoming a full-blown sociopath?

It's better than trying to make a mobster a sympathetic character. They are all scum.

My password is password

Good points and take on the show.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense why a mob boss who has pangs of conscious will see a psychiatrist.

He feels overwhelmed enough with the stresses of his home life and mob rule to go and see her to help him cope with his life and yet he continues being an angry, passive/aggressive, abusive and murdering psycho?
I never really saw him making any progress in his therapy or with it helping him out in any way.
I think it was thrown in as a side bar plot point just to make it interesting.

That is the genius of the show, and people are shaped by their environment, the phoniness of the American dream, the ease of pissing away your life, and how the cyclical familial violence and trauma is passed down to the next generation.

I think we see signs of that in AJ.
While he will probably not be in the mob or even kill anyone like his dad he is a buffoon with no respect for authority and when he grows up will do whatever the fuck he wants to.

I don't see him ending up in college but instead as a dock worker or a truck loader/driver in one of the enterprises his dad owns or operates.
Some kind of working class meathead.

"Please vote to preserve the unique character of Warren…" - Robert Duvall

All Facts,
But he Was shot in the End.

Without strife, your victory has no meaning.
Without strife, you do not advance.
Without strife, there is only stagnation.