Kevin Costner : Should he have done "Tombstone" and "Apollo 13" instead of…

Should he have done "Tombstone" and "Apollo 13" instead of…

"A Perfect World"/"Wyatt Earp" and "Waterworld"??

I heard that he was originally involved with "Tombstone" but felt the story should concentrate more on Wyatt Earp- leading him to develop his own WE project, 1994's disastrous dud, "Wyatt Earp". He was also reported to have been offered the role of Jim Lovell in Ron Howard's "Apollo 13" (even was in a bidding war with Howard's company for the film or book I think??). Jim Lovell even wanted Costner to play himself due to the resemblance, but Costner of course decided to do the epic Hollywood bomb, "Waterworld".

Now I actually enjoyed both Clint Eastwood's "A Perfect World" (which was released around the time of "Tombstone") and "Waterworld" (although "Wyatt Earp" stank on ice); I just wonder if Costner's career would've faired better throughout the rest of the '90s had he chosen to do "Tombstone" and "Apollo 13" instead, rather than his career turning into the rather turbulent mess it had become the following twenty years-??

Re: Should he have done 'Tombstone' and 'Apollo 13' instead of…

Tom hanks came back in right around the time Costner began to go down in popularity. Hanks had a better 1993 than Costner did.

He sure did- Hanks had a "double whammy" in '93 with both "Sleepless in Seattle"- a huge hit at the box office in the summer of '93- then of course at the end of that same year- another hit- "Philadelphia", which would win him the first of two back to back Academy Awards.

Re: Should he have done "Tombstone" and "Apollo 13" instead of…

its a myth that waterworld was a bomb. it was the highest grossing film of the year when it was released.

Re: Should he have done "Tombstone" and "Apollo 13" instead of…

Well, for a movie to break even it has to make twice it's production costs (since the theaters get half), and WW cost $172mill, and made world-wide $264 million- so in fact lost money. However, it would end up breaking even with video and other "post-cinema" sales. And "Toy Story"- released the same year (in 1995) did in fact make more money- at $362 million. I will say though, WW did make a lot of money, and there were other movies released that same year, that cost millions and made pennies. So WW was not the infamous bomb it was made out to be- as well as the critical reaction was mixed, not overall panned...

We got another Hollywood accounting genius here. Lol funny stuff

Hanks had a passion for the space program and was the right man for Apollo. He wouldn't have fit the tombstone version of the wyatt Earp character. His portrayal of Earp was much more accurate