Groundhog Day : Rita was a bit of a Bi**ch

Rita was a bit of a Bi**ch

I was just in the bath today and for some reason this movie came into my head and I was thinking about Rita in this movie and realized she was a pretty unpleasant character.

I was remembering the scene where he constantly tried to take her on the perfect date and every day she would end up slapping him hard across the face and walk off.

I mean think about it. How many dates has a person gone on where he ends up being assaulted by his date. Pretty unbelievably rare.

Was Phil a slime bag trying to take advantage - not in what was shown he was trying to take her on the perfect date and being slapped for harmless incorrect gestures. There is literally nothing Phil did, or could have done to warrant getting slapped. And each day he was trying to improve to make it the perfect date and yet every day she kept slapping him.

There is no way Phil could be that bad at dating. The only conclusion to reach was Rita was a complete and utter nasty piece of work.

Therefore I am not sure why she is portrayed as this nice wholesome women. He should have got rid and stuck with Nancy in the film.

Re: Rita was a bit of a Bi**ch

At first he just wanted to have sex with Rita as just another notch on his bedpost as it was for Nancy and all the other girls of the town he must have bonked.
And I think she saw or suspected that.
He was just trying to do the perfect date just to score with her and she wanted a relationship and not a one night stand.
When he changed and became caring and sincere she saw it too and accepted him.

"Please vote to preserve the unique character of Warren…" - Robert Duvall

Re: Rita was a bit of a Bi**ch

At first he just wanted to have sex with Rita as just another notch on his bedpost as it was for Nancy and all the other girls of the town he must have bonked.
And I think she saw or suspected that.
He was just trying to do the perfect date just to score with her and she wanted a relationship and not a one night stand.
When he changed and became caring and sincere she saw it too and accepted him.

I agree with Warren. That's how Rita seemed to me.

The part I disagree about Phil being some kind of playboy. Phil seemed like a cold hearted selfish arrogant jerk. He only cares about himself.

We didn't see what Phil said or did to make Rita slap him. For all we know, Phil was testing his boundaries with her since he was the only person at that town to be fortunate to be re living the same day. Whatever happened that day wouldn't have any negative consequences carried over to the next day.

Donna is the only member of filmboards that nimda punished for wanting to leave. eyes.gif