The Killer Shrews : Poor Rook

Poor Rook

He stayed behind on the boat to get things done and no one cares if he shows up for shelter or not during a hurricane on an island of killer shrews. The captain is oddly surprised he is dead the next morning. What did he expect?

Re: Poor Rook

Rook was the only Black character. Back when this flick was made, the Black guy always got killled first (which really sucked. I liked the character too, and I wish he'd survived.)

Was Rook the guy that tried to get to the house when the wind was getting really strong? Then he had to climb a tree to get away from the killer shrews only to have the tree break in the wind, causing him to fall into the middle of the snarling beasts?

That scene always haunted me. The look on his face as the tree breaks was horrifying, at least that's how I remember it seeing it at the movie theater 50+ years ago.

Was Rook the guy that tried to get to the house when the wind was getting really strong? Then he had to climb a tree to get away from the killer shrews only to have the tree break in the wind, causing him to fall into the middle of the snarling beasts?

Yes it was him.

Relax in the safety of your own delusions.- J.R. Bob Dobbs

Then yes, poor Rook. The guy never had a chance.

I too thought he was an interesting character. His screams and yelling for help were haunting.

It's interesting watching older horror and thriller movies and the treatment of Black characters. (Check out "King of the Zombies", "Whatever happened to Baby Jane?" And "The horror of bloody Beach")

I think Sherman felt like Rook was smart enough to come in out of the rain, if things got bad. They were both experienced sailors, after all.

His mistake was in panicking; he had six shots in that revolver, and I don't think more than 5 shrews were chasing him. He wouldn't have to hit them all, either; if he had taken a second or two to aim properly, he almost certainly would have brought down two of them. The rest of the shrews would eat the dead ones, they wouldn't starving any more, and they might have just wandered off and left him alone.

- Crazy. All crazy but I'm.

Poor Rook , why because he was Black? If he was White you would have enjoyed him being torn to pieces?

What a leap of logic. Wait, there is no logic in that comment. The OP explained the reason for calling Rook "poor", the reason is is plainly stated, it had nothing to do with race.
"Pardon me while I have a strange interlude"- Marx

What's crazy to me is that they seemed to value secrecy over the protection of human life. They knew that Rook was staying on the boat and they didn't bother to warn him of the dangerous animal life on the island.

🎃 Happy Halloween 👻

Dat wuff Sheriff Rosco P Coltrane! Huff hiffle hugoooooooo!