Pat Ast : Pat Ast beat Barbra Streisand in a High School singing competition!

Pat Ast beat Barbra Streisand in a High School singing competition!

I think that is just the most awesome thing ever. And I don't think many people know about this. They went to the same high school in Brooklyn. Pat did have a very commanding baritone. I think she could do opera. It goes to show that it's not just about talent, but ambition and perseverance and drive. Barbra obviously had drive and determination and focus in spades, whereas the affable Ast would have been more content to have just had a good time with friends, and I am sure she had many. She was the best.

Pat Ast is my all-time favorite star!

Re: Pat Ast beat Barbra Streisand in a High School singing competition!

Ast really didn't do much to prove of her worth as a star. It is nice to catch her in what little she did do and both her and Streisand were not exactly generic beauties. Ast also had her weight against her.

If Hollywood wasn't so crass, it could have made more of Ast perhaps. Sometimes too, it also about character/personality as well and Streisand had that in spades. Babs perhaps also had a higher IQ.

Being friends with Warhol, I wonder if she ever met that crackpot Solanas?

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

That's why I say that Pat Ast would have been more content to just have fun in life. It is hard to know whether she was ambitious the way the super ambitious Streisand was. Her extra weight was part of who she was and I thought she was charming and adorable. Pat would never have been able to go Hollywood. She was much too special and out there to be a crowd pleaser for the majority. The closest this type ever got to mass appeal would have been Nancy Parsons, ala "Beaulah Ballbricker". And as amusing as BB is, it's still not even Parsons' most entertaining creation.

Shirley Stoler would have been the dark side of this persona, with her super scary Martha Beck and villain appearances, e.g., "Charlie's Angels". I guess her lightest moment would have been when she was part of Pee Wee's Playhouse! She had a mean-looing face.

Pat At would have represented the lighter aspect, with the consistent non-threatening humorous characterizations. Her Edna on RSG is 100% camp. And her performance in "Heat" is sublime. She cannot be touched as far as I'm concerned.

Nancy Parsons would maybe straddle the scary and the funny the best of the three. I think she falls in between. She covers all this so well in "Motel Hell". Love her.

I'm just really impressed that Ast got this kind of recognition. It says a lot about her and the way things work, and I think it's a very, very cool bit of trivia.

Not that Pat necessarily had the better voice, but to the degree that a high school talent competition would be a popularity contest… I have no way of knowing this, except that Pat obviously had a great sense of humor and from what I've read, she was outgoing and gregarious, and maybe more people voted for her because they liked Pat more than Streisand. I like Babs fine, but obviously a lot of people don't.

Pat obviously had a great sense of humor and from what I've read, she was outgoing and gregarious, and maybe more people voted for her because they liked Pat more than Streisand. I like Babs fine, but obviously a lot of people don't.
I wonder if this would have been a source of frustration or even envy from Streisand?

As you say, Streisand may not have been as well liked either and may have been seen as a tad aloof. It would have been more difficult to get closer to her. Ast would have been more the everyman's person.

I read that Barbra was more interested in acting since singing came natural to her

She got her singing talent from her mom

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

Her half sister Roslyn can sing too.

I read a biography about Streisand long ago and they talk about Roslyn and Barbra

They must have the same mother but different fathers?

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

Roslyn is the daughter of her mother's second marriage to Louis Kind, who was apparently cruel to Barbra during her childhood. I have occasionally heard her mention him in interviews and in a non-reverential way.

I think she held animosity towards her mother too for marrying him in the first place.

What a jerk. Yeah, I'm sure she resented her mom for bringing him into their lives

I wonder if he lived to see her success?

http://barbra-archives.com/bjs_library/60s/louis-kind.html

He died in 69'.

Thank you for that. He speaks lovingly about her, I wonder what did he did that was mean?

Yes, interesting read, but I'd say it would be a sanitized account. It was an interview with a columnist who would have more than likely taken her own free license with facts.

Barbra has claimed he often said cruel things to her about her looks and in one interview I saw, she referred to him as not being Kind, like his name suggests.

It disgusts me when adults are mean to kids

All kids should be seen and not heard.

Spare the rode, spoil the child Ms. Cheeky!

You're a naughty man, Mr Toasty

Get yer' chompers around this Cheeky and then I can see you being naughty….

Oink! That little boy wants him to share

Yeah! That kid is like what's going on, where's mine?

No, kidding! That was big enough for several people

Would you wanna share it Cheeks? I bet you would scoff it all down and then go back for more and leave the kid the cone….😉

I have my own, thank you very much

I'm going into the big smoke tonight. There is an Italian ice-cream parlour next to the restaurant I'm going too, so I know where I'll be going to for dessert. That is if it hasn't closed down due to Covid Mania.

Enjoy, my friend! 🍨 🍦

Did you get your gelato, Toasty?

I forgot what makes gelato special.

Sometimes I prefer sherbet. But I don't know anybody who doesn't like ice cream.

👍 Pistachio

It looks so sexual. It's practically x-rated.

Eating ice-cream can be a sensual experience.

"I see everything you do! I see! I see you!" – This Chinese baby is all knowing and all powerful!