Highlander : In alot of ways, it really sucked. But…

In alot of ways, it really sucked. But…

Overall it was actually extremely good. The story was great, and it had a lot of potential. That's what keeps me watching it. The crappy sword fighting scenes are awful, but I often watch it for nostalgia's sake. Sean Connery was a badass. Christopher Lambert, eh. But he still IS Connor McCleod to me. Just like William Shatner sucks, but he'll always be Captain James T. Kirk to me.

I loved the music. Queen did some amazing music for it. The opening credits just give me goosebumps when I watch it. I'll laugh at the movie nearly all the way through, but I just seriously enjoy the hell out of it.

For me it's a guilty pleasure.

Anyone else think so too?

Re: In alot of ways, it really sucked. But…

I've always said...

I love Highlander. But it does feature some horrible directing, editing and acting. Yes the sword-fighting is bad... considering these guys have been around for centuries "perfecting" their art.

However, the characters and the mythology is what makes it so damn great.

It's a cult classic, and rightly so.
But it does have a lot of problems.

And so, God came forth and proclaimed widescreen is the best.
Sony 16:9

well i disagree in that the sword fights were bad. i mean they had Bob Anderson as the sword master. the guy is legendary. he was Darth Vader.

Lambert to me is a unique actor. hes not everyones cup of tea. some say he is a terrible actor. i find him to be refreshing. there is always a presence about the man in every film he is in. maybe its cause he is french...i dunno. but he does stand out even in the worst of films.

this along with The Terminator , are two of my favorite films of all time. they are the ones ive watched the most the past 25+ years.

well i disagree in that the sword fights were bad. i mean they had Bob Anderson as the sword master. the guy is legendary. he was Darth Vader.

Ahhhh Star Wars, another film with inept sword swinging.

Does not matter how great Bob may have been, if the actor can not utilize his teachings, then it just does not work...see this film for proof.

Shakespeare could mutter his entire work into the ears of a monkey, does not mean the monkey could become a successful playwright.

And so, God came forth and proclaimed widescreen is the best.
Sony 16:9

Inept sword swinging? I thought the only film in the original Star Wars Trilogy with crappy sword choreography was A New Hope. Episodes V & VI had good choreography.

I don't think the sword fighting in Highlander was that bad.

DISPLAY thy breasts, my Julia!

A presence. Good way of putting it. I remember Day of Wrath where his acting is Meh at best. And he has worse films. But dammit, he is an actor that can make just about any role LOOK awesome.

In a way he's like an action hero without the action. He doesn't need great acting because he simply looks the part.

Christopher Lambert, eh. But he still IS Connor McCleod to me. Just like William Shatner sucks, but he'll always be Captain James T. Kirk to me.

That's pretty much how I feel. For better or worse, the actors define the characters.

Lambert's lack of Spoken English limits him somewhat as an actor, but yes he has a presence

http://myimpressionz.tk

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

"this along with The Terminator , are two of my favorite films of all time. they are the ones ive watched the most the past 25+ years."

I agree Donutpower. I've always thought of Highlander and the Terminator as kind of companion pieces. One is about a man from the past, the other about a man from the future; both with almost unstoppable and really memorable adversaries. Also both are quite cheesy, fairly low budget 80s movies, with several (inferior in my opinion) sequels. I think they still stand the test of time and bring back a lot of nostalgia for people who were first getting into films in the 80s.

I agree, the kurgans scenes in the motel are very similar to arnies scenes in T1, right down to his attire, the creepy synth music and the fact its a run down dingy place.

I taught you everything you know, but not everything I know.

Terminator's initial sequel (T2) wasn't inferior. It stands out as one of the very few sequels that was actually better than the original movie (Godfather II and The French Connection II were also arguably better than their predecessors). But the other two were inferior, the 3rd being the worst. However, they were not blatantly bad. Both were decent, and the 4th installment was actually a quite good action movie; but as a Terminator movie, it lacked quite a bit.

Highlander's sequels were, on the other hand, a pure and utter crap fest.

I never seen The Terminator (or this movie for that matter) as cheesy. I just assumed that anything laughable in Highlander was done on accident.

No Number is best. 3 builds better than 2. 2 loves better than 1 and 1 mind is better than 3.

While i strongly disagree on some points, i understand where you're coming from.

To me what makes this movie great is that it's all over the map, yet it works.

It's everything from action movie to historical romance to crime story to pure fantasy to purely ridiculous cheese. But what's wrong with cheese if you're having fun?

It goes from dark and mysterious to not taking itself seriously at all in a split second, and back again, but never skips a beat.

In short, it's entertaining as hell in every which way.

It is a truly original, one-of-kind film that let's your imagination and your emotions run wild. It's also a product of its time; 80s to the bone, and makes me very, very nostalgic.

This movie has it all, and I feel no guilt for the pleasure.

It has been a few years since your post, but I completely agree. it just, works faults and all.

You missed out the soundtrack though, that absolutely makes a massive contribution.

It is a bad film, not so bad its good, it's just bad, however it works in every way a film should.

It has gravitas, it distracts you from it's cracks, it engulfs you in it's world, such a bizarre yet beautiful example of different worlds colliding forming a pure 80's piece of art.

It stands the test of time too.

The creator did not truly understand his craft, the screenwriter did not, Christopher lambert does not, but they fluked this one, it is just something special.

I always think Robocop, Highlander, Terminator 2, Commando, Predator, Total recall, late 80's early 90's action pieces. Terminator 2 is a masterpiece, faultlessly executed, Commando and Predator are transparent mindless yet suspensful action pop corn flicks, Robocop and Total Recall are masterful, intentionally bad where they need to be but more than the sum of their part which is typically intentional by Verhoevan.

But.... Highlander wow lightening just struck, everyone was perfectly cast (Clancy Brown!), the soundtrack, the sfx it just works and Queen elevates it.

It does not realise how cheesy and corny it is, it is innocent in its over the top delivery and it is for that exact reason that even the most cynical of viewers just believe in it.

There can be only one.

Everyone has an opinion, people think there's is the only one that matters. That's just my opinion.

In a lot of ways, you suck....what a mindless post.

Its an awesome movie period. You dont need to make excuses.

Go kill yourself

AGREED RIDINGXLIGHTING... Did anyone else think that building that McCloud and Kurgan have their final battle in was exactly like the interior where Neo and Agent Smith duke it out (horribly) in Matrix Revolutions at the end.. I dunno just seemed like the exact same set which doesn't say much for Revolutions.

Very enjoyable film, OP sucks not this movie...

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE...

In a lot of ways, you suck....what a mindless post.

Its an awesome movie period. You dont need to make excuses.

Go kill yourself

... What are you? Four?? A mindless reply to a mindless post. Seems fitting.

I watched it last night and still enjoyed it after the mumble-ith viewing, but for the first time I was struck by the fact that it doesn't hold up in places.

For once, I will not complain when one of my favorite films gets a reboot. Hey, at least they waited quite a few years.

Be sure to proof your posts to see if you any words out

i just saw it again after a long, long and I have to say the direction was impressive. not the direction of the actors, but the angles and camera movements (although I can see why Tarantino apparenty referred to the director as a poor man's Ridley Scott).

"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school"

I think Highlander is a fantastic film and one of its kind but I agree with some points. The swordfighting could have been better and the direction was kinda messy.

Esta es mi firma

'Highlander' is the kind of guilty pleasure I don't feel too guilty about.
It's like a movie like 'The Room'. People can admit that it's bad, and often openly do, but there is still a group of people who enjoy it for just how bad it is.
In this case, I enjoy it because yeah, it does suck at times, but the good moments are like gold-coated diamonds that fell from the sky. They're just so damn good they outweigh the bad stuff by just the tiniest amount.

Can someone please actually explain what is supposedly so bad about the sword fighting? They weren't using those prissy dueling swords but gigantic heavy swords which take a lot of strength to even hold let alone swing around.

I doubt any of you even have a clue about actual sword fighting anyway besides what you've seen in other movies.

The dueling looked clumsy as heck. With Krugan it makes sense being he has a double-edged long sword. But for McCloud(?)he has a Japanese Katana and he's swinging it like its a baseball bat.

I will admit that I have not had sword training, but I have seen REAL martial artist word exhibitionist with katanas and daos. The dueling was atrocious.

No Number is best. 3 builds better than 2. 2 loves better than 1 and 1 mind is better than 3.

I agree with you completely. I just saw it last night for the first time with my wife. This is a movie with a great and original concept. The movie however falls on the fact it appears to be made on a bubblegum and shoelace budget. The acting is lacking, the main character is hard to understand and most of the fight scenes are horrible.

I give the movie slack however, due to the fact it was made in the 80's and had I seen it when it first came out I would have absolutely loved it. A reboot of this movie would do wonders with a much better budget and experienced director.

I was 16 yo when this movie was released. I loved it (In fact, everybody did). But, later views of it were kind of boring to me. It has lost its magic, at least for me. However, the "Who wants to live forever" scene is still amazing after all this years. It is impossible for me not to cry out loud during that part. So sad and so beautiful. For this scene alone, this movie will always have a special place in my heart.

A long while back I did a brief video review of this movie and basically pointed out what you just summarized. The movie really isn't that good, but something about it is just plain wonderful.

This comment I'm responding to is old, but I just watched it and this seems like the right place to comment. The way I'd put it is that it has a really good premise behind it, that could have been the basis for a really good movie. But they didn't deliver on the really good movie part. So you can be kind of fascinated by the concept, and overlook the fact that the movie isn't very good.

I couldn't really overlook it. Take the (non-immortal) ex-marine driving around NYC with a car full of machine guns, who fills the Kurgan full of holes with an Uzi. He gets impaled by a giant sword, picked up with the sword and thrown against a wall on the other side of the alley, and then survives to talk to the police in the hospital. In real life, that guy would have died almost instantly.

The movie is full of insanely over-the-top, ridiculous stuff like that, that makes it really hard to take seriously.

Take the (non-immortal) ex-marine driving around NYC with a car full of machine guns, who fills the Kurgan full of holes with an Uzi. He gets impaled by a giant sword, picked up with the sword and thrown against a wall on the other side of the alley, and then survives to talk to the police in the hospital. In real life, that guy would have died almost instantly.

So, you expect realism in an eighties fantasy action adventure film? Gimme a break!

The movie is full of insanely over-the-top, ridiculous stuff like that, that makes it really hard to take seriously.

Yes, parts of it is deliberately over-the-top and cartoonish, and if you don't get that or accept it. Then this movie is not for you.

The film's main strengths IMHO are the basic premise/plot, music & score, charming/good acting by the main actors, done 30 years ago with a relatively low budget (even for the time) considering the scope of it.

RIP Ian Richardson (1934-2007) http://akas.imdb.com/name/nm0007183

My major complaint is with the audio of the movie. In some scenes the music blasts and I turn it down and in others they are whispering and I turn it up...

Just like William Shatner sucks, but he'll always be Captain James T. Kirk to me.

None shall speak ill of The Shat. Ever!

More seriously, I've read that the sword fights had to be limited a bit due to Lambert being very near-sighted. They had to have Clancy Brown purposely swing at Lambert's sword, and slowed things down enough so that Lambert could meet the blow. Something like that. I don't actually think the swordplay is bad, though. I prefer it to the superhero-like CGI fights you see in LOTR and The Hobbit.