Cocoon : I was involved in the production of 'Cocoon'

I was involved in the production of 'Cocoon'

It was a lot of fun. Terrific memories of that time. Ron Howard and his wife were both a true delight, and the cast was a lot of fun.

Just an FYI: Maureen Stapleton cussed a blue streak. She had a mouth like a sailor! But it was all in good natured fun, she was hilarious!

Re: I was involved in the production of 'Cocoon'

Well, what did you do in the production? Too embarrassed to tell us?

Technical support. At the time, the production borrowed two IBM XT's for use on-set for script revisions and such. I was the local guy who was hired to be on-set to support their use of the PC's and software and printers and such.

Back then, support was big. Not like it is today.

Great to hear from you O.P.! Always though Maureen S. would have a bit of a "wild" side to her lol! Any other thoughts/memories from the set?

Just wondering if anyone knows where the Publix (where Hume Cronyn swung around the pole then jumped up on the Publix bench) is actually located in St. Pete.

Cronyn also stops at a drug store with a lunch counter in the same scene. This article (http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/ron-howard-and-cocoon-p ut-st-petersburg-tampa-bay-in-spotlight-25-years-ago/1103331) mentions using the Woolworths in the Northeast Shopping Center (where they had a lunch counter). There is a Publix located here. Can anyone confirm that this was the actual Publix they used in the film?

imdb lists the location as the Southgate Shopping Center in Lakeland. (This is where a scene from Edward Scissorhands was filmed.) I find it hard to believe that the film crew would travel 60 miles from St. Pete to Lakeland just to shoot that short scene.

I cannot confirm the Publix location, but I can confirm the lunch counter shoot at Northeast Shopping Center. I wish I could be of more help. I can only say that I was not aware of any shooting in Lakeland, nor did I spend any time providing any support for the production in Lakeland.

Tell us more, give us a detailed account of your time working on the movie, I would be most interested to read it
'Ziggy Piggy'

Ron Howard and his wife were, without a doubt, some of the sweetest people I've ever worked with. Ron was quite busy, of course, but even so he was never rude or abrupt. His wife, who was doing a lot of the script revisions on set, spent quite a bit more time with me since I was supporting the two computers she was using (both IBM XT's if anyone remembers what that is).

The one cast member who really stood out was Maureen Stapleton. She cussed like a sailor constantly! But it came across as good-natured, not abusive or mean. The F-bombs were flying.

Oh! And I got to see the script for a film they had in development at that time called "Willow" which did get made, of course. And a script for a film called "River Walk" which I don't think was ever actually made.

This is one of my favorite movies. What were the cast like? I always loved the interaction between Brimley, Ameche and Cronyn (the way they would talk about boners was hysterical). Likewise the interaction between Guttenberg, Dennehy and Welsh was just as good ("I really like a woman with skin" and "Face eating Jack? Is that some kind of delicacy?"). I have heard that much of the area remains unchanged. Is that true? Do you know if the pool house is still standing? After all of the hurricanes that hit Florida I would assume that it isn't. Anything else you can write about would be great. Thanks!

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

The "pool house" was built for the film and wasn't designed to be a permanent structure. The pool where the scenes were shot was actually an outdoor pool and production built the enclosure. I don't know what happened to it after production wrapped, but since it wasn't made to be permanent I imagine it it long gone.

Actually, the owners of the house liked the pool house so much that they had a permanent one built after filming was completed.

"Life is uncertain, eat dessert first!"🍨-HOMER J.SIMPSON

I have heard that much of the area remains unchanged. Is that true?

There are posts in this thread that suggest that the areas where Cocoon was filmed have changed very drastically:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088933/board/nest/103157990?ref_=tt_bd_6

www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-j-winograd/PETA-KILLS-PUPPIES-KITTENS_b_ 2979220.html

Sounds like it was a blast to be around all of those movie legends. Great memories.

I think it's safe to say that, if the lunch counter (which was inside the Woolworth's) was at the Northeast Shopping Center, then the Publix they used (or at least the Publix bench Hume Cronyn walked on) was in the same shopping center. If you look at this screen shot from the film, you see the Publix bench is right in front of the Woolworth's (on the left) which Hume walks right over to in this same shot.

screenshot: http://s29.postimg.org/oh0nck0w7/Cocoon_Hume_Cronin_publix.jpg

Thanks for helping me piece together this little mystery.

Don't know if anybody else has posted this but here's a Tampa Bay Times article from 2010 on the filming of Cocoon with a lot of production info (including the Northeast Shopping Center) with some cool photos.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/ron-howard-and-cocoon-p ut-st-petersburg-tampa-bay-in-spotlight-25-years-ago/1103331

Thanks so much for sharing your memories!

Just read it. Very interesting to read.

Wow! Glad you had a great experience on the production of this film. That must've been quite an exciting and lovely time. Great to hear that Ron Howard, his wife, and the cast were nice.

Thanks for sharing. I was hoping for some tidbits about the film. Since it's been such a long time I didn't expect to learn anything.

Bored now.