Kevin Costner : I remember this guy used to be king of the world…

I remember this guy used to be king of the world…

I distinctly remember a time when he was pretty much the biggest movie star on earth...no doubt a few others have gone through that phase (Jim Carrey comes to mind, now it's probably Johnny Depp or Christian Bale). I remember a David Letterman show from this time that I was watching, where Dave mentioned what a huge star he was.

There's no point to this post...just that I'm getting old and time moves on I guess...you dont hear much from Costner anymore.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: I remember this guy used to be king of the world…

Madonna in her film documentary "Truth or Dare" blasted Costner as very uncool when he came back stage with his kids at one of her concerts that was in the film. At the time Madonna was too "KOOL FOR SCHOOL" and her words basically helped to stop Kevin's career in its tracks and Waterworld didn't help either, but all of this happened around the same time period. Costner really suffered with his A list star status after that.

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

Once the hits dried up, he's ego, star power and clout waned.

He really is heading for B movie zone when at his age he should be looking for character parts.

Its that man again!!

He blew me away in "Mr brooks",and i thought wow he is back, plus he was great in that coast guard movie too...but im half way through that "New daughter "movie and its back to what happened??!!??

I agree! I thought Mr. Brooks was an awesome movie.

Respectfully, Prism10 I disagree. I always thought that critics were savagely unfair about Waterworld and The Postman. I thought they were decent films and did exactly what they were intended to do. They were entertaining,for me. The director's cut of Waterworld is a great cut of the film with about 40 minutes additional that were not in the theatrical edition. Heck, the movies he made I did not care for like A Perfect World (also one of the few Clint Eastwood films I did not like), Dragonfly, The New Daughter, and Swing Vote were decent attempts but ended up like a movie of the week. Some of the best performances that people have never seen are his portrayels of real bad guys (A Perfect World not included of course). 3000 Miles To Graceland and MR. Brooks showed his darker side and it was fun to watch. But oh well, I love to see he is playing a REAL bastard in the Hatfields And The McCoys on the History channel. I did some research on his character and from what I have read "Devil" Anse Hatfield was a mean son of a bitch. I can't wait for the series to start. Anyway my opinion anyway and you have yours, I love to chat about films so jsut thought I would chat. Take it easy and have a great day! Respectfully csjintn@aol.com

A Perfect World (1993) is one of Clint's best and Costner's best role. An understated, powerful movie. haven't seen Swing Vote, but Dragonfly, Graceland are dreadful.

Waterworld is a great film. It's set in a time when society is absolutely gone and all you have left is human condition, su 5b4 rvival, perception, and misunderstanding. That's why it's written the way it was. Sure from our points of view these days as like 20 years ago when it was created the movie is easily classified as cheesy or goofy, but if you wipe several billion people off the face of the earth give them nothing but water & some real talk mountains like Everest to be considered land via global warming that story isn't too far off. Somewhere along the way people get disconnected from society's norms & taboo, thus losing all touch with perception of those around them.

Re: I remember this guy used to be king of t
1c84
he world…

I know....Costner used to be a big "star" a while back.

Then I just saw him in THE NEW DAUGHTER and I wondered how he went from making movies like DANCING WITH WOLVES, to that low budget movie The New Daughter??
But I guess some movie stars can't stay on top for ever and ever!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post deleted

"Madonna in her film documentary "Truth or Dare" blasted Costner as very uncool when he came back stage with his kids at one of her concerts that was in the film. At the time Madonna was too "KOOL FOR SCHOOL" and her words basically helped to stop Kevin's career in its tracks and Waterworld didn't help either, but all of this happened around the same time period."

Are you serious? You really think Madonna making fun of him is what ruined his career? Have you not watched his films? Stuff like Water World and the Postman and his version of Wyatt Earp, which came out at the same time as Tombstone? That's what killed his career, not freaking Madonna.

The guy is a hell of an actor, but he picked these huge movies and they all bombed. He just overreached.

I'm sure the millions he made off those turkeys soothes the pain though.

Listen to yourself. And now listen to me...NOTHING has killed KC's career and I mean NOTHING. The movies were not turkeys, they did not hurt him...it's opinions like yours that colors what others think also. There are other actors who deserve, truly deserve to be lampooned instead of KC. He's a very stand up man who takes on difficult tasks and sees them to the end. How hurt do you think he would be to hear the put downs? I would be pissed myself. Just go away and insult others instead. If you need help, well, let's see...hmmmm...how about Mel Gibson? Give him a whack or two.

Waterworld and the Postman bombing isn't an opinion and that's what killed his career.

"How hurt do you think he would be to hear the put downs?

Are you his mom or something? Costner is a grown man. I also said the guy is a hell of an actor....I guess you missed that? And I kind of doubt Kevin Costner is frequenting these boards or gets hurt when somebody points out the bombs he's made or that he's not a huge star anymore.

Just because you're some delusional super fan of Costner doesn't mean the rest of the world is going to not criticize the guy when he makes bad movies.

And if you liked the Postman you're the only one.

No I'm not a mother at all...second just forget it, There is absolutely no sane reasoning with you people who have already colored your opinions so know what? FORGET YOU

Did you take your toys and go home? <sniff, sniff> Being a fan is one thing but almost seeing you cry while typing a post on IMDB is another.

One thing you have to remember is Costner has made very few movies that screamed big box office. He had a great relationship with Orion pictures because they were one of the few studios willing to take chances. In the past several years, he has tended to make independent films and has gotten some of the strongest reviews of his career. The San Francisco Film Critics Circle named him the best supporting actor of the year for his work in "The Upside of Anger. He got strong reviews for his performances in "Mr. Brooks" and "The Company Men". Esquire Magazine recently called him our most underrated actor and said his performance in "The Company Men" could only be described as "wise". His career wasn't ruined. He simply reached a point that there was nowhere to go but down and critics and tabloids love to take celebrities in that direction. Dennis Hopper even mentioned that in one interview. He said eventually it happened to anyone with any real talent and success. That it had happened to him and that it had certainly happened to Costner as well.

nonsense

The bottom line is WHO CARES? As a big fan of his, I don't care if the movies didn't do well in the opinion of others. I like them and enjoyed them and it's just not important to keep pointing out what was a success and what wasn't. What is the point of that? KC did great in The Upside Of Anger---best supporting actor award by I think San Francisco Critics, can't remember. I have said it once and will say it again, IF YOU ARE NOT SUCCESSFUL, YOU ARE IMMEDIATELY FORGOTTEN AND NOBODY REMEMBERS YOUR NAME TWO DAYS FROM NOW. THIS IS NOT TRUE OF KEVIN COSTNER. HE WILL ALWAYS BE SUCCESSFUL IN ONE AVENUE OR ANOTHER.

Well said, slewsgirl.

LOL...oh yeah, no question. Madonna called Costner 'uncool' in 1991, and that killed his career.
Oh but wait, 1991 was the year he won the Oscar for Best Director, and then went on to star in multiple megahits and iconic movies in the 90's:

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
The Bodyguard
Tin Cup

Yeah, poor Costner, Madonna the B-Lister herself, killed Costner's A-list status.

OK I'm not defending Madonna, however, Kevin took his kids to one of her concerts and told the audience she owed him an apology, dedicating a song to him. He was grateful but did not thank her. HOWEVER, let's make this clear---Madonna did not hurt KC's career. If any one did it is the unfair critics and people who listen to those critics. A lot of those people have long since seen the movies dumped on and have reversed their opinions. Kevin will always be an A lister. His star hasn't EVEN begun to fade or dim one iota.

For me he is still the king. I love that he his still working on intersting things. Had he still been A-list he might not have done Open Range, Mr. Brooks or The Upside Of Anger. All small films that I like. I really like Tom Cruise but for me a film like M:I 4 is really boring. Lame PG-13 action that plays it very, very safe. I much prefer films like Mr. Brooks even if it was not a big hit.

Tell me, one189teen50five, are other people not allow to speculate on this board about why Kevin's career hasn't been as prolific these past two decades as it was in the 90s...or do they have to get your permission first? You act like the *beep* dictator of this board.

BTW, he wouldn't considered A-list at this point. A-list status is never permanent and can rise or fall depend on how prolific your career is at that moment in time.

Re:WILL always be king of the world…

If I don't tell you misinformed people, who would? Don't be flippant. It's your opinion, maybe, that he hasn't been "up to your personal standards, buddy boy" but he has been to me. Quit sweating it out...I haven't conquered even a tiny part of the world.

You're a freak.

To the OP: From 1985 to 1991, Kevin was one of the BIGGEST stars of the day. He's still got it, however I doubt will see anything that even comes close to Dances With Wolves, The Untouchables and Silverado. It's still ashame he was cut out of The Big Chill (83). Who knows what that film could have done for his emerging career. It's amazing to think he was 27 years old when The Big Chill was filmed and today he is 59. Incredible.

The Bodyguard was a HUGE hit for Kevin and that came out after Truth or Dare.

I absolutely love the guy, but all the bloated 3+ hour vanity projects are what ultimately sunk his career. Enough time has passed now that he's back on the upswing. I'm so glad. There's nobody quite like Kevin Costner. I mean, who else could have pulled off "Field of Dreams,"the one movie that guys are openly willing to admit they've cried over?

Madonna was a complete sh i t for treating him that way and it really did derail his career. He has had too much dignity to blame her publicly but it would not be surprising if he did not harbour deep resentment for it.

He is way to classy to let Madonna get to him, he even took his daughter to another concert of hers so that shows his character, he didn't want to let his daughter down.The real reason for her bitchiness is she auditioned for the role of Rachel in The Bodyguard but Kevin wanted someone that could really sing and insisted on Whitney, he even postponed filming for a year to wait for her,Madonna has never forgiven him. We should all be thankfull to him for not having to listen to Madonna singing "I will always love you" Thank God for Kevin Costner i say.

Well, when you consider that his last good movie, Dances With Wolves, was twenty years ago... it's not really surprising.

Yeah he's had a weird career. Meteoric rise from pretty much unknown in 1987 to Oscar winning direct 2000 or and top box office star by 1990. Early 90s he was undoubtedly the biggest 'serious' actor in the world (Arnie being the biggest action star) - the new James Stewart and the all-round go-to guy. Then 3 massive flopperoos and he's hardly had a film register in the last 15 years. Tom Hanks started getting all the roles he would have probably got - Apollo 13, Cast Away, Road to Perdition. Kind of a shame, I kinda liked him; although he's not a brilliant actor he had a bit of star quality about him.

I never understood the sudden and vitriolic hatred that was directed at Costner.

It began during the filming of Dances With Wolves, there was a feeding frenzy there. It was called "Kevin's Gate" during production and touted as an epic failure for months prior to release (Much like Cameron's Titanic). He poured millions of his own money into it. Perhaps part of the problem is that he funded it himself instead of signing his soul over to a studio?

And after that we got the incredibly classless garbage from Madonna (who now protects her own daughter from what she herself used to get rich by forcing on other peoples daughters), the silly Costner Vs Scorsese non-feud and the endless talk of WaterWorld being a disaster it never was.

Kevin Costner had one of the most amazing runs of success ever seen and that wasn't simply "luck".

Silverado

No Way Out

The Untouchables

Field Of Dreams

Bull Durham

Tin Cup

The Upside Of Anger

JFK

A Perfect World

Open Range

Dances With Wolves

Mr. Brooks

There are many other films he either produced, fostered or performed in that deserve degrees of credit but it's truly astounding how bashing him has become an ugly and dated sport.

There are people I don't personally like but I would never attack them the way some people attack Costner.

Particularly considering the fact his primary failing is sincerity.

Still is King

All this talk and assuming KC is past history is pure BS. I can't believe all the nonsense I read; the put-downs. Why? If you aren't interested in the actor, the movie, the co-stars, etc. you simply do as I do and don't go see it. Nobody's film history is spotless and perfect. You should go to YouTube and watch the Andrew Denton show, an Australian dude who interviewed Kevin who was promoting Waterworld. It's the funniest interview Kevin has ever done. It shows how truly warm and personable Kevin is. It tells a lot. Kevin is a great actor/director/etc. if people would just not pre-judge him on everything he does. They make the mistake of listening to critics who seemingly automatically diss the movies. Who are they to tell us what we should see or not? I for one do not listen to them.

Re: Still is King

Andrew Denton interview with Costner-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SphP2Eywrlk

BTW thanks for bring that to my attention, it's a very funny, entertaining interview.

One thing I'm curious about is if the Australian audience understood the joke about finding water (dowsing).

That bit really cracked me up because the film "The Thing That Couldn't Die" has always been a favorite of mine and it was centered on "Dowsing" which I had always thought was an American bit of silliness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zanrNUTSXlk

Dowsing is an international thing and older than America.

Dowsing is an international thing and older than America.

And? What's your point?

You were curious about whether specifically Australians got a joke about dowsing, I pointed out that it's not a practice tied to any specific region of the world. So someone's being Australian doesn't have to do with whether they got the joke or not.

"Particularly considering the fact his primary failing is 16d0 sincerity."

I find it interesting that you mention this. I've been thinking about this off and on recently and really started to think about it watching a little of "Field of Dreams" recently. And the thing that really sticks with me is, just as you say, the extreme nature of how Americans turned against him. It's interesting that there was SO much noise about him when he was at his height. Interesting that he was even considered a sex symbol. I mean if you look at him in "Dreams" he's really not that great looking. He's just handsome enough, but not too handsome. He really wasn't in very good shape, looks like the beginning of double chin almost, maybe? Definitely kind of rough around the edges.

But... He had that realness and authenticity about him. I think the way people turned against him is symptomatic of the change in our culture away from authenticity to our present world of sleek, corporate, soulless "sex-appeal". It's fitting that that one key incident was with Madonna, probably one of the biggest creators or representatives of our "culture of appearances". Like that quote of his in the quotes section:

"Popularity now is cultural achievement. If you can be popular, you actually can make a living out of being popular. It's not my way."

How things have changed. Too bad.

Yeah he was not THAT good looking even back in the day. Though I'm speaking as a straight guy, so I can only speculate on why the ladies thought of him as sex symbol back in the early 90s. He certainly never had a body like Tom Cruise, the late Patrick Swayze, Val Kilmer or Brad Pitt did in the 80s and 90s, but yeah he was considered a sex symbol. I think it was because he was like as you say, just handsome enough and had that Jimmy Stewart good natured quality to him. Like Tom Hanks did, though Hanks was never thought of as a sex symbol as I can recall it, in either the 80s or 90s. I honestly don't think there was any great change of culture in a mere 8-11 year span from 1989 to 1997-2000 that killed Costner's career. He just made a string of bad movies that were outrageously high budgeted. Waterworld anyone? THAT more then anything is what did him in. In the early 90s he was a superstar. In the mid 90s people were scratching their heads at his movie choices. By the late 90s and the 2000's Kevin Costner was an afterthought. You'd catch Field of Dreams or Dances with Wolves late at night on TNT or TBS and go, "Oh yeah, I remember when he was big".

Post deleted

The movie star peak is at 40 and then it's a struggle to stay on top for anyone.

Harrison Ford and Tom Hanks are definate exceptions to the 40 year rule. And as for Costner...he may not be an A-list star anymore(although the Company Men may turn things around for him)...but in real life hes very much a hero. I mean this man could possibly be the one that single handedly saves the Gulf. He's still the man in my book.

"You work your side of the street...and I'll work mine."

Post deleted

Harrison Ford is definately about the most resilient film star of all time, when you consider that he's still treated as an A lister despite only having had one hit in the last 10 years and that was the 4th film in 30 yr old franchise. I guess having been both Indiana Jones and Han Solo gives you a lot of room to fail. That said, I love the guy.

As for Costner, I think it's a shame that he fell as far as he did. Yes, it's true that almost no one stays on tops forever (Clint Eastwood, John Wayne a couple of exceptions) he still should have remained a decent level of celebrity.

Everything was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt!

Post deleted

It's interesting, there was a lot of talk of Costner playing Indiana Jones brother, a long time back, but that of course never happened.

Everything was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt!