Science : Has your life ever flashed before your eyes?

Has your life ever flashed before your eyes?

Never happened to me. They say it happens when you are about to die but that isn't necessary. It happens in situations where you have an expectation of death, so high stress. I don't know that it happens in people dying in their sleep or in a minimal state of consciousness. Doesn't seem like it should. Seems like doctors should be able to trigger it but nobody really studies the phenomenon. Some people say they experience all of their previous interactions with people from the other person's perspective and feel all of the pain they have caused. They say it's pretty horrible. Doesn't seem evolutionarily advantageous to distract you with a review of your life at the moment you are about to die. Depends on how long it lasts though. In a flash, they say.

Rep. Mondaire Jones says it happened to him in the Capitol on January 6:
We were also told that we should expect to have to lie down on the ground of the House floor in the event of gunfire. I saw my life flash before my eyes and my sense from my colleagues is that many of them did too.
It is the kind of thing that causes your life to flash before your eyes. That's what happened with me, and I know I wasn't the only person who had that experience, because I've have[sic] conversations since.
The life review phenomenon only goes back to the late 19th century in the literature. I would think there would have been many occasions to experience it in the past so it is odd that apparently nobody remarked on it. There is a Christian folk belief that St. Peter reviews your life. Maybe that is related to it.

Re: Has your life ever flashed before your eyes?

Every time I read my posting history.

I passed out once and the only thing I remember is being in darkness, alone and accepting my fate

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

💡 ¿Has your life ever flashed before your eyes?

Just about every day since I started taking smart pills. ¡Phosphatidylserine really works!

[center] [hr] [poll multiple] [s] [sic] [sub]2[/sub] [sup]th[/sup] [u]  

I've heard of it happening to people who are about to get in a car crash, or get shot, but never just from anticipating a life threatening event. That congress person is probably being overdramatic to gain sympathy for political purposes.

When you are about to get in a car crash you are anticipating death. It must have something to do with stress. Maybe in that moment the brain is frantically searching for some memory of an experience that will guide its reaction and that somehow is experienced as life flashing before your eyes.

That only happens in the movies.

It only happens in movies because it happens in real life.

Yes. I almost drowned and felt the sensation of “my life flashing before my eyes.” I really thought I was going to die. Like someone else mentioned, I also had a sense of accepting my fate.

How did it work, you saw moments from throughout your life?

It was sort of like all memories from throughout my life were remembered or flashed through my mind at the same time. It felt like an eternity in a split second. It was strange.

Wow. Mental.

Were you aware of each individual memory as they flashed by? Were there memories that had been forgotten? Was it like living through them in a first person perspective or was it second or third person? Were they vivid or were they sort of hazy? Could you recall everything afterwards? Was it chronological or jumbled? How early did the memories reach back? Did your memories extend up to the very present?

Yes and no lol. Some memories felt long forgotten and others very familiar. It was like witnessing something beautiful yet mystifying like seeing a blue-purple-orange sunset. There was a sense of wholeness by the end. And then the feeling of accepting my fate. I guess it was all the things you’re supposed to feel before you pass on. The sense of acceptance was huge.

Afterward when I was revived I was really worn out from the experience. I tried to remember some of the memories but the only thing I could recall distinctly was seeing a black dog barking. For a while I convinced myself that it was the hound that guards the gates to hell and that was where I would go when I died. But to this day I don’t know the significance of the dog. It was not one I owned at any point in my life.

That's an interesting account. Being worn out could be the after effects of an adrenaline surge. Maybe when you were very young there was a black dog barking at you and it was seared in your memory but became inaccessible due to childhood amnesia.

In a flash, they say
it's pretty horrible
In a flash, they say