Shallow Hal : Doesn't this movie fat shame…

Doesn't this movie fat shame…

…without making it seem like it is really fat shaming?

They put a fat suit onto a skinny actress and there are fat jokes galore.
Seems like fat shaming to me.

"Please vote to preserve the unique character of Warren…" - Robert Duvall

Re: Doesn't this movie fat shame…

Idc but I love this movie. 😂

My password is password

Lucky for you that you can hide your shame behind the chickenshit /. sock account!

Once more hon I don’t have a main. Never made one bcuz y as long as this is available.

My password is password

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

On the surface, it does appear that way but if you really pay attention to the movie, it has a very heartwarming message.

Post deleted

They could make a movie like that without the fat jokes especially with a love making scene.

Post deleted

Maybe. But being fat is shameful so meh.

My password is password

Yes, absolutely. The only reason Hal fell in love with the fat girl in the first place was because he was hypnotized into believing she was skinny and beautiful. Once he found out she was fat, he still loved her because he had fallen in love with her inner beauty. So the movie is basically saying that fat girls can be beautiful people on the inside because they damn well aren't attractive on the outside. The film only reinforces stereotypes about fat people. If you're a fat person watching that movie, you'll most likely walk away from it feeling bad about yourself.

That said, some of the jokes were funny and it was entertaining (for the most part) but something about the film just doesn't sit well with me.

Post deleted

Yup.
See my response to that.

Exactly.
You got it.

The ironic or hypocritical thing is this is directed by two men who are sympathetic to retards and cripples that they will put them in movies to elevate and to force acceptance onto them and yet somehow fat people are fair game for targets of jokes at their expense.

They also do this in the movie Identity Theft with Melissa McCarthy.
There is a love making scene only instead of it being hot they make it into a joke to get us to laugh at a fat woman having sex.

Being retarded or crippled isn't a choice. Being fat is a personal choice so it doesn't deserve sympathy like having an actual disability that you can't control.

My password is password

That depends.
Pregnancy can stretch the stomach to where it stays that way where the only way the woman can get her old shape back is through expensive surgery which insurance will not cover.
That is not her fault she ended up that way or being fatter than she has to be.

Overeating can be a tough habit to break and snack and junk food companies make it harder by putting in sugars, salts and other chemicals that make their stuff to eat too hard to resist.

Some folks are just in too much pain to do stressful exercise to burn the calories.

Nah I don’t think it’s fat-shaming per se, just that Hal is hypnotized into seeing what he personally finds physically attractive, which is skinny. Not every guy is into skinny chicks, some are chubby chasers that love big women and some have a fetish for obese.

Anyway, the point of the movie is that Hal fell in love with her personality and his shallowness is cured because he sees her as beautiful both inside and out. Lots of relationships end up like that where a guy could find a woman physically unattractive or ugly, but overtime they become attracted to the whole package and suddenly their looks become attractive to them too. If Hal’s girlfriend was just ugly instead of fat would you say it reinforces stereotypes about ugly girls?

https://i.ibb.co/CM60Md8/IMG-5376.jpg