Lucille Ball : Celebs who didn't love Lucy

Celebs who didn't love Lucy

I know of at least three celebs who did not love Lucy (with regards to her talent, not her off-camera behavior). They are Henry Fonda, Jerry Lewis and Groucho Marx.
Does anyone know any more celebs who did not seem to appreciate Lucy's talent the way the rest of the world does?

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Celebs who didn't love Lucy

well i agree with the groucho marx one, course lucy didn't like him either...but jane fonda said that henry was in love with lucy till the day he died...they went out before they were famous, and on the date, lucy's eye make up rain down her face and henry looked at her and said "yuck", a long time after, henry said "well if i had only kept my mouth shut, then i would it would be called Henrylu productions". so he didn't hate her, i had heard he did too until i heard jane fonda say he didn't.

i can say one....katherine hepburn...b/c lucy threw her coffee on katherine, one time in a dressing room, they wouldn't let her in to get something, so she open the window and threw her coffee, but instead of hitting the makeup artist she barly missed kate, it got alittle on her...she was so mad that she almost go lucy fired, but lela rogers saved her, she said if you fire lucy then i go and so does ginger..

Post deleted

I did not know that Katharine Hepburn was the godmother to Lucie's daughter. That is cool. I really like Katie and Lucy

Post deleted

I know she also had fights with Glynis Johns, concerning her Desilu series Glynis, and Madeline Kahn, who was the original choice to play Agnes Gooch in Mame. This bothers me because I really like Lucy, Glynis and Madeline, so to think that Lucy did not get along with them is unfortunate.

Post deleted

I remember reading in a book that Tom Bosley loathed Lucy. He was quoted as sayin b68 g "Thank God I'll never have to work with that bitch again."

Much has been written about William Frawley and Vivian Vance not getting along on I.L.L. and Frawley had a sailer's mouth on him. I think he may have not been totally enthralled with Lucy's talent either. He just took the I.L.L. show for a steady paycheck.

Post deleted

Post deleted

Re: I Loved Lucy

Unpredictable Tallulah Bankhead gave them a tough time during the rehearsals for "The Celebrity Next Door" with her seemingly undisciplined ways, but surprised them by being letter-perfect when the episode was filmed.

"I don't use a pen: I write with a goose quill dipped in venom!"---W. Lydecker

Post deleted

Re: I Loved Lucy

Richard Burton guest starred on "here's lucy" and did not get along with her at all. This is mentioned in his autobiography.

Re: I Loved Lucy/Burton

Richard Burton guest starred on "here's lucy" and did not get along with her at all.

Oh hell, that's not fair! Nobody in film or on stage got along with Burton. In fact, most of the time, Liz didn't get along with 5b4 him! LOL!

What, just for once in your life can't you be serious?

An Agnes Moorehead anecdote

Lucy had just seen "How the West Was Won" & told her neighbor Agnes "Oh, Aggie, you have just GOT to see "How the West Was Won" - it's sensational!"

Moorehead was rather indifferent.

Days later, Lucy asked Agnes "Well, have you seen the film yet?"

"No, I haven't" replied Moorehead.

"Why in the hell not?" asked Lucy

"Because I'm IN it!" Agnes replied.

Lucy went on to say "She [Moorehead] was so ********* brilliant, I didn't even recognize her!"

Even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream

I was not enthralled with Frawley, who thought he was s funny.
I wish the Lucy show had everybody except him.
AND they gave Frawley the job , I hear, because he was out of work and an alcoholic.

Re: Celebs who didn't love Lucy/not so re: Bill + Vivian

Much has been written about William Frawley and Vivian Vance not getting along on I.L.L. and Frawley had a sailer's mouth on him. I think he may have not been totally enthralled with Lucy's talent either. He just took the I.L.L. show for a steady paycheck.

I am not sure where you are getting your information about Bill Frawley & Vivian Vance but you're dead wrong.

Frist of all, Bill Frawley helped Lucy out early on in her career, and she never forgot his kindness. Lucy suggested Bill for the part of Fred, only after learning that her first choice, Gale Gordon was not available. He needed the job on I.L.L. because he was an alcoholic that formed his reputation as such that it was very hard for him to find work. He was very grateful both to Desi and Lucy for the role. As for Vivian, she and Lucy had their ups and downs but she was one of the "three" childless female actors whom Lucy was very close to.
Amoung Lucy's best friends were Viv, Ginger Rogers,and Mary Wicks.

So, you're way off about Bill and Viv.

Bill and Viv, couldn't stand one another but everyone else on I.L.L. got along.

According to a book called Lucy in the Afternoon (by Jim Brochu http://www.jimbrochu.com/Booksandplays.html), when Richard Burton's autobiography came out (posthumously) people tried to keep it from Lucy, because he wrote some negative musings on her in it.

He and Elizabeth Taylor were in a greatly-hyped episode of Here's Lucy in 1970, and he apparently loathed the experience. Lucy was unaware of his feelings until she read them in his book.

"Well, for once the rich white man is in control!" C. M. Burns

Probably because she gave him advice and some direction on how to funny,as I heard it.
Sounds like Burton's ego to me.

Lucy was also friends with Judy Garland and called her the funniest woman in show business. Was Lucy friends with Carole Lombard or Jack Benny?.

Carole Lombard was her IDOL! Lucy started her Desilu studio because she said Carole Lombard came to her in a dream. Jack Benny was her nextdoor neighbor, also good friends.

View my sketches: http://ladyichabod.deviantart.com/

Wasn't Lucy also friends with Betty Grable?.

I remembered that Carole came to Lucy in a dream, so I wondered if they were friends, thanks.

How did she get along with other guests on her show like Maurice Chevalier, Robert Cummings, Eve Arden and Charles Boyer?.

Hi, Metalman091:

According to the latest movie done about Lucy's life, she met Carole at a nightclub, where Lombard was going out with George Raft. Carole and Lucy became fast friends.

According to the movie, Lombard had promised to get together with Lucy after her war bond tour was over. Lucy was devastated upon reading of Lombard's death in the newspaper. as was almost everyone else in Hollywood. Carole was one of those few stars who were universally loved by almost everyone, except perhaps Louis B. Mayer.

Joel McCrea knew Carole Lombard and Jean Harlow when they were kids, because they went to the same school for a very brief time: "Hollywood School For Girls." Since both Joel and Frances worked at RKO, I'm sure they were at least acquainted with Lucy.

Take care.

Deborah

Post deleted

Hi Deborah

I forgot that Joel had known Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard when he was younger. It's an interesting piece of trivia. I bet Joel knew Lucy.

And yes mfan0825 George Raft paied a young and struggling Lucille Ball, years later I believe she tried to pay him back but he refused.

Take care.

Post deleted

...years later I believe she tried to pay him back but he refused.

Raft was hit with a back taxes rap in the late 60s. Stories circulated at the time that Lucille Ball and Frank Sinatra were the ones to make good on the fines that were levied upon Raft. Ball also served as a character witness for Raft when he was expelled from England around 1966 where he was employed as a greeter at a club.

It ain't easy being green, or anything else, other than to be me

Re: Celebs who didn't love Lucy/Betty Grable

Viv Vance, Ginger Rogers, and Mary Wicks, were Lucy's best friends. Betty Grable dated Desi Arnaz before she married Harry James but I don't know if she and Lucy were friends.

Re: Celebs who didn't love Lucy/Betty Grable

Yeah I think Lucy was friends with Betty Grable in real life. They were Goldwyn girls and they were both extras at RKO. I think they became friends at RKO after working on a movie together.

Re: Celebs who didn't love Lucy/Betty Grable/Everything Lucy

Blondee, you are probably right. I just found a little anecdote on "Everything
Lucy" a blog run by Lucy fans, which is about a fur coat Lucy had treasured and given to Betty.

Here's the Link to the blog site and story:
http://everythinglucy.blogspot.com/2006/08/lucille-ball-fur-coat-fetch es-hefty.html

This is a direct quote from Lucy from Jim Brochu's book "Lucy In The Afternoon", pg. 152.

"You know, Desi had an affair with Betty Grable not long after we were married. I don't think she was married to Henry at the time. Anyway, she was a great gal. If I stayed mad at every woman Desi had an affair with, I'd have been angry with half of the nicest girls in Hollywood."

Don't play games with a girl who can play better.

in regards to celebs who did not appreciate Lucy's talent...

Henry Fonda, I don't care what his fans say...he does NOTHING for me. His talent is MINISCULE compared to Lucy's...
and
Groucho Marx was an arrogant pig. Lucy said herself that the only Marx Brother she liked was Harpo who had huge talent...Groucho's was VERY limited.
JMO!

Flaming is posting negative hateful inflammatory comments. If you are being flamed notify IMDB!

Post deleted

Post deleted

How did she get along with:-
1)Danny Kaye?
2)Clint Walker?
Just curious

I don't think Angela Lansbury was too fond of Lucy either.

It's been reported that Lansbury knew she was the front-runner for the 1974 movie version of 'Mame' and was set to do it, until Lucy got her hands on it and convinced the studio she was right for the movie role over Lansbury (Angela Lansbury was more of a B'way name than a Hollywood name, she alleged).

Allegedly, Lansbury was further infuriated when Ball later told the press (lied to the press) that she (Lansbury) chose not to do the film, and decided to take an extended vacation in Ireland with her family instead. It's been said Lansbury was "absolutely delighted" when the film was a flop and Ball was forever riducled for playing the legendary role, tarnishing her stellar career.

I had forgotten that Lucy was friends with Betty Grable. There was a quote about Betty from Lucy "I never knew where I stood with her, I just knew I adored her". According to the bio I read on her, Betty was not open with her feelings.

Lucy was good friends with Henry Fonda. Fonda used to date Lucy and go out together with James Stewart and Ginger Rogers. One day Lucy showed up wearing too much make-up, Fonda took one look and was disgusted. "If I had kept my mouth shut it would have been HenryLu" he later commented.

I also read she got along fine with Van Johnson, James Mas 5b4 on, George Murphy, Lionel Barrymore and Buster Keaton. Frank Sinatra wanted her for Mrs. Iselin in 'The Manchurian Candidate'.

Apparently Lucy and Red Skelton didn't become close friends, but I haven't heard if they disliked each other. Lucy had an argument with Danny Kaye over how to play comedy, but they managed to become friends years later.

You may or may not get this, HazelEyes86, but Lucy was good friends with Sammy Davis Jr. I know that for a fact.

'I know of at least three celebs who did not love Lucy (with regards to her talent, not her off-camera behavior). They are Henry Fonda, Jerry Lewis and Groucho Marx.'
-----------------------------
And i have heard Fonda was cold and insensitive, and that Lewis was an SOB.
Lucy should be complimented.

I read somewhere that Joan Crawford did not get along with Lucy after she guest starred on "The Lucy Show". Apparently Joan Crawford didn't like Lucy's "workaholic" personality.

I also read that Lucy was greatly angered when Desi and Ida Lupino were "flirting" alledgelly on the set of the Comedy Hour episode "Lucy's Summer Vacation".

I did hear that Lucy admired Nat King Cole...I don't know about that one though.

Lucy did work with the Three Stooges in 1934 and with Abbott and Costello (well she made a cameo in one of their movies) but I don't know how she got along with them.

'read somewhere that Joan Crawford did not get along with Lucy after she guest starred on "The Lucy Show". Apparently Joan Crawford didn't like Lucy's "workaholic" personality.'
------------------------------------
Thats because she found Crawford taking swigs of liquor on the set.
...she was afraid of Lucy.

And Desi flirted with everyone with a skirt.

Joan Crawford afraid of Lucy? Wow...well, Lucy must have been something if the alleged Queen Bitch of Hollywood was afraid of her. I've heard a lot of very unflattering things about Joan Crawford's behavior (and not just from Mommie Dearest...just check out IMDB...all the stuff under her trivia...she was a nut job). Lucy may have been at times neglectful of her kids (choosing work over motherhood) but she was never horrible with them the way Joan Crawford was.

Anwways, with regards to other celebs. I know John Ritter was quite fond of Lucy. Lucy hosted a Three Company's special and John Ritter guest starred one time on Lucy's last series: "Life With Lucy". I also heard she did something with Mary Tyler Moore. If Lucy was friendly with Agnes Moorehead (Endora on Bewitched) I wonder if she met Elizabeth Montgomery (her husband Bill Asner was a director on I Love Lucy...I think).

"Joan Crawford afraid of Lucy? Wow...well, Lucy must have been something if the alleged Queen Bitch of Hollywood was afraid of her. I've heard a lot of very unflattering things about Joan Crawford's behavior (and not just from Mommie Dearest...just check out IMDB...all the stuff under her trivia...she was a nut job). Lucy may have been at times neglectful of her kids (choosing work over motherhood) but she was never horrible with them.."
--------------------------------------------------------------
Home life is different than being in the workplace. Lucy was the boss and employed Crawford; that makes things different.
It doesn't mean Lucy was unfair for not allowing drinking on the set.
and Lucy was most likely a stronger person than Crawford.

No, Lucy didn't abuse her kids, you're right. She was a controlling strict mother,though

Patty Duke

"Patty Duke"
---------------------
It was more of a case of Lucy not liking Patty because she felt Patty was corrupting her son(17 yrs old) and the family name. She didn't understand Patty's intentions or problems at the time,and Lucy made her feel like a miscreant.
Patty now admits she can better understand Lucy's protective nature,since becoming a mom. (But,little did Lucy know Desi Jr. was not all that innocent).

The irony then was finding out my two most favorite actors were at odds.

She got along with Mauree O'Hara during the filming of Dance Girl, Dance (1940) I heard they were inseparable on set. and Later Lucille Ball said she had great admiration for Maureen O'Hara.

Wasn't see tutor by Buster Keaton too?

Post deleted

Lucy and Buster Keaton were good friends. She was also good friends with Phyllis Diller. However, after Jerry Lewis said that no women were funny, she obviously didn't care for him. Supposedly, Roseanne Barr bad-mouthed Lucy.

Johnny Carson 1925-2005. We will never forget you.

if anyone has any further info on roseanne barr badmouthing lucy, i'd love to know about it! huge fan of both, although rosie's last few stand up dvds arent good. but i still love her for going out there and saying what she thinks, even if it isnt popular. and for lucy, she was great. she really helped pave the way for women in showbiz. forever love them both.

"He's losing his balls! Cut him some slack!" - marley and me