The Twilight Zone : By The Numbers

By The Numbers

I just noticed the other day, while scrolling through the seasons list that there are (in all likelihood) a disproportionate number of episodes with numbers in them, from season one through season five. Among them: One For The Angels, Number 22, The Odyssey Of Flight 33,100 Yards Over The Rim, 4:00 O'Clock, Two, The Thirty Fathom Grave (the only hour long), through the back to back Probe 7, Over & Out and The 7th Is Made Up Of Phantoms, and the popular Nightmare At 20,000 Feet.

There's probably no one reason for this. One of them is probably Rod Serling's army background, as the military, especially in wartime, emphasizes time and things like weight, height and distance. Also, there were time constraints in writing for television, with The Twilight Zone no exception: Serling was practically writing by the clock, having to finish one at a certain time, then start another. It's no wonder that so many episodes deal with fear, generalized anxiety, a desire to get away from it all.

fascinating topic!

It might be really interesting to compare this to MOVIES of the same period.

A strange phenomenon!
Also, it hops over the problem of simply running out of movie-titles and episode titles.
Changing the numbers give you a lot more options!

(Hope you are doing great!)

Movies…

Movies from the Sixties? I'll have to think on that, PB. Early in the decade, of more or less Twilight Zone's period, and JFK's, too, there was The Magnificent Seven, Butterfield 8, The Three Worlds Of Gulliver, 13 Ghosts, One, Two, Three, Fellini's 8 and a half (which I can't write properly on my keyboard due to its not having the half button, which most typewriters did have years ago, eh?). Also, two from Frank Sinatra, almost back to back: Four For Texas and Robin And The 7 Hoods. Odd that the former came out around the same time as JFK was killed, in Texas, and just a year after the presidential assassination movie The Manchurian Candidate. That was Frankie's second movie on that particular topic. Do I see a Mob assassination theory pattern there or what? From the same period: Seven Thieves, My Six Loves, Two Weeks In Another Town, Convicts 4, Five Miles To Midnight.

Re: By The Numbers

Seven Days in May

Re: By The Numbers

Good one, that. Getting a bit into the mid-Sixties. Lots of movies were "numbers titles": The Seventh Dawn, The Devil At 4 O'Clock 36 Hours, The 25th Hour, 24 Hours To Kill (what's with numbers and hours here?), Seven Wimen, One Million Years, B.C., 100 Rifles (the last two featuring Raquel Welch), Two For The Road, Three Into Two Won't Go, 40 Guns To Apache Pass, Red Line 7000, 2001: A Space Odyssey, With Six You Get Eggroll,