Sacheen Littlefeather : Academy apologizes to Sacheen Littlefeather almost 50 years later

Academy apologizes to Sacheen Littlefeather almost 50 years later

Nearly 50 years after Sacheen Littlefeather stood on the Academy Awards stage on behalf of Marlon Brando to speak about the depiction of Native Americans in Hollywood films, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences apologized to her for the abuse she endured.

The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures on Monday said that it will host Littlefeather, now 75, for an evening of "conversation, healing and celebration" on Sept. 17.

When Brando won best actor for The Godfather, Littlefeather, wearing buckskin dress and moccasins, took the stage, becoming the first Native American woman ever to do so at the Academy Awards. In a 60-second speech, she explained that Brando could not accept the award due to "the treatment of American Indians today by the film industry."

Some in the audience booed her. John Wayne, who was backstage at the time, was reportedly furious. The 1973 Oscars were held during the American Indian Movement's two-month occupation of Wounded Knee in South Dakota. In the years since, Littlefeather has said she's been mocked, discriminated against and personally attacked for her brief Academy Awards appearance.

In making the announcement, the Academy Museum shared a letter sent June 18 to Littlefeather by David Rubin, academy president, about the iconic Oscar moment. Rubin called Littlefeather's speech "a powerful statement that continues to remind us of the necessity of respect and the importance of human dignity."

"The abuse you endured because of this statement was unwarranted and unjustified," wrote Rubin. "The emotional burden you have lived through and the cost to your own career in our industry are irreparable. For too long the courage you showed has been unacknowledged. For this, we offer both our deepest apologies and our sincere admiration."

Littlefeather, in a statement, said it is "profoundly heartening to see how much has changed since I did not accept the Academy Award 50 years ago."

"Regarding the Academy's apology to me, we Indians are very patient people — it's only been 50 years!" said Littlefeather. "We need to keep our sense of humor about this at all times. It's our method of survival."

At the Academy Museum event in Los Angeles, Littlefeather will sit for a conversation with producer Bird Runningwater, co-chair of the academy's Indigenous Alliance.

In a podcast earlier this year with Jacqueline Stewart, a film scholar and director of the Academy Museum, Littlefeather reflected on what compelled her to speak out in 1973.

"I felt that there should be Native people, Black people, Asian people, Chicano people — I felt there should be an inclusion of everyone," said Littlefeather. "A rainbow of people that should be involved in creating their own image."

Re: Academy apologizes to Sacheen Littlefeather almost 50 years later

She very gracious

50 years too late, they can stick their apology

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

What did they do wrong? They let her give her speech.

My password is password

Yes, it was the jerks in the audience who booed her

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

There was a lot of cheering too though.

My password is password

That's good

I think it's admirable that Brando took a stand for Native Americans

The audience can react however the fuck they want. She's not even entitled to speak at the event. The Academy allowed her to do that. SO some people in the audience didn't like it and she's owed an apology for that? Please. She's not owed a platform of blind supporters.

I guess thinking people should show someone a little respect is too much to ask of the entitled and pampered

Respect for who and what? She crashed their party. It;s an awards show, not a rally or lecture. She wasn't at the event for it's intended purpose and some people didn't want to hear it. That's not why they were there.

Brando asked her to do this

So the audience has to like it because Brando "asked her"?

No one has to do anything, excuuuuuuse me for having an opinion that differs from yours

That's the fucking point. No one owes her anything. She's an uninvited guest disrupting an event. She's not owed a platform or an audience that agrees with her.

Aren't you a bit of a fragile flower going against an elderly woman instead of the many males here

I don't give a rat's ass… Brando turned down his award and asked Sacheen to go there instead. How dare they! The Hollywood elite were celebrating each other, for the love of everything fabulous!!!!

What an intolerable burden they had to endure on their night of a self-congratulatory awards show to honor the overpaid ego maniacs

"going against an elderly woman instead of the many males here"

Of course this is where you go.

Pretty good, wasn't it?

Respect for who and what? She crashed their party. It;s an awards show, not a rally or lecture. She wasn't at the event for it's intended purpose and some people didn't want to hear it. That's not why they were there.

Exactly. People there to have a good time and this victim comes on stage trying to guilt everyone.

She didn’t “crash” anything you fucking retard, she was giving a speech for the award. Would you have been this mad if Marlon Brando gave the speech instead?

Fuckin pigeon-brained nimrod.

Respect for who and what? She crashed their "party". She is the one who interrupted their event. It's an awards show, not a rally or lecture. She wasn't at the event for it's intended purpose and some people didn't want to hear it. That's not why they were there.

Sometimes life is about hearing things you don't want to hear. You would rather just ignore the problem altogether and pretend life is all butter and cupcakes.

Just because I'm not on THEIR side, doesn't mean I'm on YOURS.

I don't give a fuck what her message is, it's where she's delivering it. Get the fuck out of my face when I turn my TV on to watch a movie, TV show, or game. Do that shit on your own time.

Yeah, what the fuck took them so long?

Does this mean that Kevin Hart will get to wait to host 50 years from now when they realize their mistake in firing him and they will somehow make it up to Rock for getting slapped by Smith also in 50 years?

She should apologise for lying about being native american. She's an hispanic named Maria Cruz

Wildmanwizard, Mildman
https://login.proboards.com/login/6870873/1

Sacheen Cruz Littlefeather (born Marie Louise Cruz on November 14, 1946) is an American actress, model, and Native American civil rights activist. Littlefeather was born to a Native American (Apache and Yaqui) father[1] and a European American mother.

It was good they did this. It ends the thing.

There is no end to it.

It will go on forever.

Kind of pointless. The Academy didn't do anything to her.

🎄Grade "A" Fully Loaded🎄
🎁"Sexy as Hell"🎁

1. That's very true. The Academy didn't do shit to her.

2. Even the people who booed don't owe her an apology.

She was blacklisted by Hollywood, so yes they do owe her an apology

Hollywood blacklisting her and an audience booing her are separate things.

🎄Grade "A" Fully Loaded🎄
🎁"Sexy as Hell"🎁

The audience booing her are the ones black listing her, so no

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

The same reaction whenever a woman sees your micropenis

They give no reaction at all, because they don't get to see it fuck knuckle.

Now that’s a sad commentary

Not as sad as your virginity.

Your sister will be one of my thousand virgins once I allah ackbar your house

You wouldn't know what to do with a woman, so stop pretending like you do. Animals are your thing. You keep bringing them up.

Animals are your thing, you’re gonna be fucked by a horse till it comes out your mouth, and then you’ll be fucking dead fuckstick

The only deadshit around here is you, bestiality boy.

Redacted

You couldn't cut off a toenail, retard!

Redacted

You have never been that hot, so stop deluding yourself.

I found a picture of you in high school

That is you before you progressed to gimp suits. You thought it best to cover up your ugly mug.

Redacted

There is no end to your depravity and what you will do for a dick fix.

Now you’re fucked by a hammer