Cinderella Man : Was the Star of David on Max Baer shorts that offensive that they had to

Was the Star of David on Max Baer shorts that offensive that they had to

..edit it out from the TV broadcast??

Really??

F U Hollywood.

Man this party is like an orgy at a campsiteits ***king in tents.

Re: Was the Star of David on Max Baer shorts that offensive that they had to

They did? What network?

Re: Was the Star of David on Max Baer shorts that offensive that they ha

I'm watching it now on SHO or HBO. In the Youtube video of the fight, there is a Star of David predominantly on Baer's trunks which I don't think is in the movie. I'm pretty sure it was never there in the theatrical release, but I could be wrong. There does appear to be something on the left leg of Baer's trunks, it's darker than the red of the shorts, and it's impossible to see what it is. I can't imagine why they would have not shown the Star. Although there are still a ton of anti-Semites out there, so who knows? Maybe they thought it would decrease attendance if they showed it. That's all I can think.

The OP makes some stupid comment about "FU Hollywood". Many of the "Hollywood" elite are Jews. I can't imagine who thought it would be offensive.

Max Baer's father was Jewish. When Max went up against Schmelling, the German champion, he wore trunks with a prominent Star of David embroidered on them and swore he would wear it from then on (Wikipedia). He certainly wore it the night he fought and lost to James J. Braddock. I don't remember seeing the Star of David in the theater and I don't think that it was edited out for TV or cable. I think that Ron Howard chose to not include it in Baer's costume. Why would he do that?

Wikipedia says that Max Baer did not train for the fight and did not take it seriously. That is clearly shown in the movie. The two fighters had similar styles, heavy punchers rather than quick boxers. Max Baer lost on points not on a knockout. And most important for a movie, it is better to have one hero and one villain than two almost heroes.

Max Baer needed to be the "villain" regardless of reality. Losing because he didn't train hard enough and underestimated Jim Braddock was not good enough. He had to be portrayed as a bit of a jerk. The Star of David would have given him some hero credibility and taken away from the audience devotion to the hero of the movie.

If they make a movie about Max Baer it will be different.

The star of David is definitely on his shorts in the movie.

I looked for it in this movie. I am sure that I saw it in the fight between Max Baer and Max Schmelling, but not in the fight between Max Baer and James Braddock. I could have missed it. The next time I get a chance to see the movie I'll watch again.

I agree. the star was most definitely there on his trunks, but is hard to see due to the color of his trunks and the star is black.

@son_of_tony Slate magazine did an article addressing this issue (and giving an insight into the real Max Baer) when the movie came out:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/culturebox/2005/06/fig ht_snub.single.html

FTA: Attentive viewers of the climactic fight of Cinderella Man, Ron Howard's Depression-era crowd-pleaser, will notice a Star of David on the red trunks of Max Baer, the lethal opponent of Jim "Cinderella Man" Braddock. The star is significantly less prominent than the one that the real Baer wore in the 1935 fight.

Considering how highly factionalized the character was they should have left it off all together.

I remember seeing the Star of David when I watching the movie in the theatre; it definitely seemed a little 'down-played'.
It is possible that the star was a shade of blue and might have appeared brighter in old black & white films. (Older film stock was more blue-sensitive than current film/video)
Max Baer was an interesting person; I wish they had included more of his story, even if it was a three hour movie.