The Great Raid : Japan deserved atomic bombs

Japan deserved atomic bombs

If some folks are offended by this post, that's just too bad. The fact is that the Pacific War was so brutal becuase of the feeling of racial superiority that the Japanese held, which led directly to their horrific treatment of prisoners and foreigners in countries that they conquered.

This came directly from Japanese culture itself. In Germany, you had the Nazis who were bad enough, but did not represent the entirety of German culture...although that does not excuse the Germans for not trying harder to get rid of the Nazis when they could have. But they too bought into their own 'racial destiny' lies, and the concentration camps are the proof.

Having said that, the Germans were not cruel to Allied prisoners of war...99% of the POWs survived the war, while only 33% of POWs of the Japanese survived the war. The massacre at Palawan is just the tip of the iceberg...just look up the Rape of Nanking, in which over 300,000 Chinese CIVILIANS were slaughtered by Japanese troops. Or the Bataan Death March. (And don't bring up crap like Abu Ghraib, in which no one was killed. Abu Ghraib wasn't even the result of US military policy, unlike the Japanese atrocities).

All of this was encouraged by the ultra-conformist, militant, and racist attitude of Japanese culture at that time. Sure, there have been changes since then. But where is the acknowledgement of the Japanese for the crimes of WW II? They don't even teach their own schoolchildren what happened, which is much different than what Germany has done since the war ended.

A few years ago, there were a lot of protests in Asia when new schoolbooks for Japanese children were introducted that made NO MENTION of the crimes of the Japanese during the war...China and South Korea were especially outraged, since so many of them were forced to be laborers for the Japanese war machine. So many Japanese have grown up with no concept or realization that their country started the war and committed unspeakable atrocities on par with the Nazis.

Maybe that's why they spend so much time playing video games. They're in denial. If there was some sense of acknowledgement on their part, maybe people like my grandfather could have forgiven them for killing his commanding officer when they were pretending to surrender on Okinawa.

"Just do it. Sue sue sue. Do it. Go go go go." - Tom Cruise to his lawyer about bad press.

Re: Japan deserved atomic bombs

Agree 100% I've always said Japan got what they deserved. Even if prisoners were treated well the A-Bomb saved hundreds of thousands of lives by preventing an invasion. Its sad how all the schools teach how the bombing was bad when they don't look at the big picture

That's a pretty fncked-up argument. The U.S. could have dropped the bomb on a place like Iwo Jima or something, a place of military significance without a ton of civilians. "Strategic bombing" was one of the most reprehensible things about the whole stupid war.

No the cities targeted were WEAPONS centers. It's equivalent to dropping the bomb on Middle River Maryland (where missiles are made; and the national guard resides). You aren't targeting civilians; you're targeting soldiers and people who make guns for the soldiers.

Also the U.S. dropped the bomb on Japanese citizens who had supported the murder, torture, and slaughter of millions of Chinese, and thousands of P.O.W.s. If those persons didn't want to die, then they should not have supported the Japanese government in its Crimes against Humanity. They should not have cheered "Huzzah!" at the news reports of burning Chinese villagers and raped children.

But they did cheer.
They did support the Chinese Holocaust.
Therefore they were guilty.

Not really....we had a very limited amount of fissionable material at that point...only enough for 3 or 4 bombs..and it wasn't known how many it would take to force Japan to surrender...we couldn't afford to waste one with a 'demonstration drop' when there was no way the Japanese High Command could fully appreciate the destruction first hand if it had been dropped on Iwo Jima (which was being used as an emergency airfield for B-29's in distress on the way back from a raid...so suggesting Iwo as a demonstration target is infantile)...Hiroshima was home to Japanese Imperial Army Headquarters as well as the home base for the Fleet that had attacked both Pearl Harbor and Midway..bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki made perfect sense from a strategic point of view...besides which,it got my father back from Okinawa in one piece....anybody got a problem with THAT?

Well said.

The problem with today's liberal hippies is that they think they can win a war by just saying, "Please stop". They have no concept of what it takes to defeat an nation determined to rape, plunder, and kill everybody around them (which is what Japan was doing 1930-45).

It's like dealing with a nation filled with Osama Bin Ladens.
Irrational; unwilling to surrender; you have to crush them.
Only when they were utterly crushed did the Japanese finally give up.

Today's liberal hippies just don't understand. They'd probably let Japan take Hawaii as a "tribute payment" and think they had won the war.

The atomic weapons dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki ended WWII in the Pacific, period. It is a fact Japan was prepared to fight to the death, meaning every man, woman and child was expected and prepared to die in battle against the Allies. This goes in part to the deep seated belief at the time of the sanctity (in a religous sense) of the Japanese homeland. Hence, the horrific battle for Iwo Jima. Iwo was considered part of the Japanese homeland, the defense of which was paramount. Look up how many tens of thousands of Japanese soldiers died fighting, taking Allied soldiers with them, rather than surrender. The invasion of the main islands would of made Iwo look like a Sunday picnic. On a personal note, my father served in a tank destroyer battalion in the Pacific Theater. Doubtlessly, he would of been part of the invasion force. PS Just as many if not more (including civilans) perished in the Allied bombing of German cities but that doesn't seem to raise the ruckus of the atom bombs.

Even with the carnage of Hiroshimi/Nagasaki, there were some in the army who wanted to continue fighting. The army attempted to overthrow their own god (the emperor), in order to prevent the Emperor from giving his surrender speech over the radio.

THAT'S how stubborn the Japanese Army was:

A demonstration bombing would not have made any impact on these people, since they cared so little about life, they would rather commit "hari kari" like an old-time samurai, than surrender. They were willing to overthrow their own god-emperor, and face atomic annihilation.

The problem is that people are taught that the A-Bombings were bad. The stupid liberals can't look past the lives it was actually saving. A relative of mine who lived during the war (not served in it) recalled how she went to the theatre one day and they were showing news reels from the war and it showed a Japanese soldier throwing a Chinese baby up in the air and catching it on his bayonette. The Japs were evil cruel people who dererved more than they got. The ironic thing is that half of us are spewing our Japanese hatred from Japanese made computers.

Had the a-bombs not been dropped to Japan, lots of lives would have been lost on the allies in ending the Pacific war. Using living humans as test subjects, the Japanese unit 731 had developed biological bombs, and were about to use them to encounter the allies.

I'm rich and divorced

The Japanese also made thousands of balloon bombs that they sent up into the Jet stream toward the US. Many of these bombs made it to the United States and my husband's Aunt (Elsie Mitchell) and a group of 5 children on a picnic in Bly, Oregon found it and were killed when it exploded. This was the sole lethal attack on American soil on May 5, 1945. A number of these bombs were shot down by Air Force planes, fell into the ocean, and who knows how many of these bombs are scattered throughout the mountains of the pacific northwest all the way into Montana and other states. Read all about this at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_balloon_bomb

I have read all the emails and correct me if i am wrong but i haven't seen the now famous term collateral damage. I also had ethical issues of bombing civilian targets. But based on the emails of some here, they justify that there were military targets and civilians just happened to be there too. Hence collateral damage. Maryland was used as an example having a missile assembly (or something) and a national guard outfit. So come to think of it, can anyone really find a place that is almost absolutely a military target?

Let us remember this is World War II wherein precision bombing hasn't been even designed! It took the Persian Gulf War just to prove it worked. (Or at least majority of them worked). And to push the envelope further, not all nations possess precision targetting weapons. Hence civilians getting into the "cross fire" would still occur.

Let us also not forget that even before the bombing of Nagasaki and Hirsohima there were also bombing of civilian population in Warsaw, England, Dresden, Cologne, etc.

However, i do not agree in generalizing the whole populace as guilty for the crimes of a few. Of course the civilians supported their government at that time because that's their government and they were a proud and "abiding" people. Also, the Japanese Navy was always at odds with its Army counterparts for its unprofessionalism.

Can someone confirm or deny this rumour? I've heard that casualties for Operation Olympic, the planned allied invasion of the Japanese home islands were expected to be so high that the US military is still using stocks of Purple Hearts cast for that campaign.

Yes, I have heard that as well. The casualty estimates for Operation Olympic were upwards to 500,000 if not more.

If you are intersted in the operation, check out the book, Operation Downfall, which goes into the detail the plan to invade Japan. It is a great read.

I learned more about the necessity or lack thereof of nuking those two cities listening to Robert McNamera in the Fog of War than I would reading this stupid thread full of internet blowhards.

battle for Iwo Jima was "horrific" but the battle for Okinawa was even worse - Okinawa made it much easier to use atomic weapons against the Japanese

Both cities were war industiral centers

If it's gods intent to kill or harm me I will stick a .45 in his face to

Learn some history PLEASE!!! We dropped FLYERS by the thousands on those cities BEFORE we dropped a BOMB! We told them to get out! But with the arrogance that Japanese culture had at the time, they thumbed their collective noses at us! How stupid! So after the first bomb, they gave us the finger(so to speak) and so we dropped another. Stopping the inhumane Japanese was the greatest thing this country has done! They killed millions of Chinese in brutal fashion you can't imagine. They made Nazis look like school-children! Think what you want, but the Japanese were the absolute worst race of people(up till that time) in recorded human history! NO RESPECT for human life, other than their own, and even then Japanese were EXPECTED to DIE for their country if needed!

When the blade is at your throat, then I suppose a fool like you might believe that some of what this great country has done is good. Otherwise, go F yourself.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Hirohito tried on war crimes, but Jap/German civilians not firebombed

Dude, they targeted other people's civilians first. They just reaped what they had sewn. The lesson is, don't do to people what you do not want done to yourself. You rape, torture and mutilate others, you are going to get some of that back on you and yours.

so its perfectly justified to drop atom bombs... yeah! you are soooooo right about that i mean god how stupid its perfectly alright to drop atom bombs which had after effects for over 50 years on civilians, and lets go to japan and rape mutilate and torture loads of them because they deserve that too, god how stupid of the japanese to think that atom bombs are not ok they were let off lightly... man lets drop an atom bomb on america i mean after the vietnam war and the iraq war who can blame anyone? they raped and killed many a people out there so lets just go right ahead with that, say lets drop an atom bomb on any country that has caused an atrocity, thats a lot of countries you better get started, your lesson is stupid,"hey i know lets test out different types of atom bombs on americans lets say...plutonium and uranium oh wait we dont need to do that, already done on the japanese :D"

ironic bitching about the japanese when theyre a world super power and they create most of the technology we use today

and as for someone elses argument on the previous page about the japanese thinking they were a superior race, thats true but you forgot.... that the americans thought the same they thought they were superior to the japanese...convinient to forget that

Yeah, cause it's not like the United States has never raped, tortured, or mutilated noncombatants of other sovereign peoples!

Lisa needs braces. Dental Plan!
Pyle! Shazaam!
Can't sleep. Clown'll eat me.

I certainly agree that schoolbooks in Japan should teach about the atrocities of the Japanese army in the Philippines. Here's an ironic thing, though. When the Japanese went into the Philippines, they were basically doing there what the U.S. had done fifty years earlier, in the Philippine-American War of 1898-1902.

American soldiers massacred civilians, raped women, put people into disease- and starvation-ridden concentration camps, burned people's crops, killed their livestock, used water torture, and basically carried out scorched-earth campaigns all over the archipelago. This is all stuff that is proven in the historical record. Even after these atrocities started coming out in soldier letters and in the media (not to mention in the court martial of Waller and later Jacob Smith), most Americans were still supportive of the war.

Yet none of this is in American students' history books, or at least they were not in mine. I learned about it originally from reading Filipino-American novels and then I read Stuart Creighton Miller's Benevolent Assimilation: The American Conquest of the Philippines, as well as several other books about it. (Max Boot also has a section about it in his book Savage Wars of Peace.)

So I don't know. I guess a question could be, did Americans back then deserve to be nuked too? But really, a better question would be, why don't we teach students about the Philippine-American War in our schools today? I imagine it's in part that when we study it, we're just so horrified by it, by the idea that Americans could do such horrible things, that we shut it out of our minds . . .

Some of you here that are ignorant of history either do not know or forgot that both the Japs and the Germans were working on their bombs as well. What in the hell do you think they would have done with them? we just happened to beat them to it. Like it or not, the bombs saved an estimated 1 million allied casualties that the invaison of Japan would have initially cost. This doesn't even begin to count the Japanese casualties. Like one poster said, some in the Jap military were wanting to continue fighting after the bombs were dropped. How many of us, both Japanese and Americans and other allies would not be here if we had invaded like in Normandy? Yes, some of our troops may have committed crimes against people. They are the exception, not the norm. For the Japanese it was regularly practiced. Younever heard of a US soldier throwing up infants to spear with their bayonets like the Japs did either!

Thank you, sawyertom. That is a FACT that very few seem to be aware of. They (japs and germans) had wanted to nuke us before. The problem was neither had all that was needed so germany tried to send what they had to japan in hopes the japs could nuke us.

Didn't work out for various, and not real clear, reasons. Then the japs were going to try a "dirty bomb". They were in a rush so Their mission - which was never completed - reportedly was to use the aircraft to drop rats and insects infected with bubonic plague, cholera, typhus and other diseases on U.S. cities.

The japs sent two huge subs to our coast and we sunk them. Each sub was able to launch two planes carrying the worst payload they possibly could.

It was on the history channel and I had better links before. A quick search brought this up:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1366913/posts

http://www.kimsoft.com/korea/jp-hung.htm

the Japanese themselves were trying to build a uranium fission bomb with a yield of at least 20,000 tons of TNT. This would have made it about 25 % larger than America's "Little Boy" uranium bomb that hit Hiroshima.

More at the link and google.

Anyway, they have changed only because we forced them to.

One other thing to consider is that industries were one of the main targets of bombing raids. Now remembering the idea that we didnt have laser guided bombs then, look at a lot of the heavy war industries like shipbuilding, aircraft and tanks works, munitions factories, steel works etc, they were in the middle of the cities, usually with the housing for the workers nearby. It's different where a lot of modern factories are generally built out in green field sites now, but then it was common. I live near Glasgow, and the Clyde was lined with shipyards and docks, but there were houses near those self same targets and thats the sort of thing that happened.

IN WW2, my father was a British SF operative and in August 1945, was still in Burma and fighting with 14th Army against the Japanese. My mum was in the UK and fretting over his safety, in an unreal atmosphere where many Brits had lost interest in the war since Hitler was defeated. My dad didn't know what an A-Bomb was back then, but when he heard that the Americans had dropped them and the fighting had stopped, he didn't question Japanese losses - he was happy and relieved that he would be coming home alive. My mother felt the same way. Even now, I'm sure that they will say it's a pity that so many civilians died etc, but if they had to do it all over again, they would still be thankful the bombs were dropped.

Selfish ? Would you say "it's okay - don't drop these bombs and I'm prepared to die to save my enemies". I don't think so.

You wanna f * * k with me? Okay. Say hello to my little friend! (Tony Montana)

The Japanese deserved every bit of everything they got, though the atomic bombs were dropped to save American lives and end the war rather than an act of vengeance.

What the Japanese did was abominable, not only as depicted in the movie, but also in the attack on Pearl Harbor which was the most cowardly attack done in the history of the world until Sept. 11th.

That being said, the Japanese have made great strides to improve relations with America since then and as Americans, it is our duty to forgive them and extend our hand in friendship. This film is a reminder of what happened, not a hate film directed towards the Japanese people.

The Japanese military was both inhumane and brutal. They were horrible to many people especially Americans.

Dropping the atomic bombs savd both Japanese and American lives. As mentioned before, the Japanese military fought until the very end. They were trained to kill themselves to avoid capture and becoming prisoners.

How do you deal with people who are that irrational? You could compare them to the 9/11 hijackers who wanted to destroy the USA. How do you reason with people who want to wipe you out?

What I always find interesting is when people say it was wrong to bomb areas where there were civilians. If you recall, the US bombed Japan not once, but twice. The US used the 2nd atomic bomb because Japan refused to surrender after the 1st bomb. There was even talk of them refusing to surrender after the 2nd bomb.

If Japan really cared about their people which why did not........then they would have surrendered after the 1st bomb.

Why should the US have such compassion for a country which did not even care enough about their own people????

Dropping the bombs did make the Allied invasion of Japan unnecessary, so it was worth it.

It appears there are some nowadays who would rather have sacrificed 50,000 American soldiers over the same number of civilians of an enemy. Remember, before Pearl Harbor, most if not all of those American soldiers were civilians.

Nobody seems to mention that some 2 to 3 million Soviet PoWs were among the 12 million people systematically murdered in the halocaust !!!!!!!!!

"Why should the US have such compassion for a country which did not even care enough about their own people???? "

Because you claim to be better than other people.

Just because the enemy is acting like a barbarian doesn't mean you should act like one.

Would you say beheading terrorists on national TV is the right thing to do, sponsored by the US Gov? No.

Actually, in the Phillipine-American war, that was the norm. Then look at chemical warfare in Vietnam. And granted I have never heard of US soldiers throwing up infants to skewer them on the ends of bayonets, but I have heard of US soldiers ripping open the bellies of pregnant women, which the Japanese also did.

If you want to make the point that the atom bomb was necessary, then make that point. But if you're going to argue along the lines of a "morality spectrum" where the Japanese are all the way on the right and the US is somewhere more left, that's ludicrous. Perhaps that was not your intent, but the last few sentences in your paragraph seem to proffer the opinion that sure, Americans have done some bad stuff, but still not as bad as them. So it's okay that we used the bomb on them, cause they were worse. It's a completely arbitrary designation of what's bad enough to justify nuking a country.

I would have brought up this point to the OP, but the information contained in his/her post doesn't so much attempt a direct justification of the bomb because of Japanese atrocity as much as it alludes to the use of the bomb being necessary because of underlying attitudes.

Lisa needs braces. Dental Plan!
Pyle! Shazaam!
Can't sleep. Clown'll eat me.

Philippine Insurrection vs WWII (was Re: Japan deserved atomic bombs)

You want to know about the "Philippine-American War"? God, I just love the revisionist history of that name. Filipinos fought on both sides of that war. Two of my great-grandfathers-- my mother's grandfathers-- fought on opposite sides of that war, one as a member of the US Army's Philippine Scouts and the other as one of Emilio Aguinaldo's guerrillas. They were from the same town in northern Luzon and were friends before the war, they resumed their friendship immediately afterward and their children, my grandparents, married. Both were proud of their part in what was then known as, and I still call, the Philippine Insurrection, and there was a lot less animosity between the two sides afterward than there was in the United States after the Civil War. (For that matter, after the end of the insurrection in 1901, there was still more animosity between North and South in the USA than between the pro-American faction and the former insurrectionists in the Philippines.) My US Army veteran great-grandfather was certainly not seen as a traitor by other Filipinos.

But that's not the dirty little secret about the Philippine Insurrection. What few people realize is that Emilio Aguinaldo had become a leader in the Philippine revolt against Spain but he and his faction were forced to retreat and then to live in exile in Hong Kong, until the US forces brought him back after landing in the Philippines. So what does Aguinaldo do to the forces who reinstated him to power? Goes to war against them. Okay, maybe there was some justification, but that's not the dirty little secret either.

When the Japanese went into the Philippines, they were basically doing there what the U.S. had done fifty years earlier, in the Philippine-American War of 1898-1902.

If that were the case when the Japanese invaded, what does one expect Emilio Aguinaldo, this so-called icon of Philippine independence to do? This icon who stabbed in the back the people who placed him in power? Granted, at this point he's 72 years old, but does he support the fight against the new invaders with the same ferocity and passion as he did against the Americans?

NOOOO!!! HE WELCOMES THE JAPANESE WITH OPEN ARMS!!! HE CALLS FOR THE AMERICANS AND THE FILIPINOS FIGHTING ALONGSIDE THEM AT BATAAN AND CORREGIDOR TO SURRENDER!!!

Aguinaldo once said, "I'd rather see the Philippines run like hell by Filipinos than like heaven by Americans." I guess that just because they were Orientals too, he thought the Japanese were close enough for his wishes to come true! (He was actually imprisoned for treason after the liberation, but was spared from execution and given clemency because of his previous stature. He was essentially the Marshal Petain of the Philippines.) That is the dirty little secret.

But Aguinaldo notwithstanding, if the Japanese "were basically doing there what the U.S. had done fifty years earlier", then could you kindly explain why only some Filipinos rebelled against the Americans while others (including my US Army veteran great-grandfather) fought alongside the Americans against the rebels, whereas so many Filipinos fought alongside the Americans against the Japanese, and tens of thousands died over three years, resisting the invasion and waging a guerrilla campaign until the invaders were driven out?

Re: Philippine Insurrection vs WWII (was Re: Japan deserved atomic bombs)

MadTom:

For what they're worth MY Two bits: The FUNNY THING is that I got the impression that prior to WW2 MOST Filipinos didn't give a hoot who was in Manila as long as they left them alone to run their lives & that, in keeping with the tradition of the Spanish Caudillos, the folks running things in Manilla cared only about THEIR 'retainers' & little or nothing for the average peasant dirtfarmer...

NM

The atomic bombs were just as bad the holocaust, and those who did it are just as bad as Hitler. There is absolutely no justification for mass murdering on purpose hundreds of thousands of inocent people

"There is absolutely no justification for mass murdering on purpose hundreds of thousands of innocent people"

Rob:

You mean other than ending a war that had dragged on for 8 years, with hundreds of thousands of allied POWs & Civilian detainees languishing in horrible conditions in IJ POW/Detainee camps and tens of millions of Chinese, Indonesians, Koreans, Malay, Thai, Indochinese civilians who were either being to partake in forced labor or forced to live with LOUSY rations & dying in the tens of thousands EVERY month? OTHER THAN THAT then yes, there was no justification....

nm

R_D ..The atomic bombs were necessary to end a war that would have gone on longer...the Japanese were determined to fight to the last man.and by the way it was not just americans, but british, australian, indian, filipino and chinese forces fighting the japanese...talk to someone who actually fought in the pacific or suffered at the hands of the Japanese military before you equate the use of the bomb with hitler...Have you ever fought in a war?

So your saying you would rather give up the lives of 500,000 plus American servicemen, did you forget the brutality commited by the Japanese Army against its conquered nations people or the allied soliders.

If it's gods intent to kill or harm me I will stick a .45 in his face to

Came across this thread after just watching the movie last night. Agree 100% with Fatguy. Actually that's almost identical to what I told my colleague about the difference between Germans and Japanese. Germans acknowledge the mistake and that makes the first step to learning from the mistake and keeping it from happening again. Japanese on the other hand have never officially acknowledged the crime and still teach the "holy war" in the schools. One can't help but wondering, if a nation doesn't admit the wrongs, or even worse, doesn't believe the wrongs, how much has it learned from the history? Maybe they are still regretting they didn't get to drop the A-bombs on America first?

The OP's ignorant and childish megalomania is exactly what will make the whole world rejoice when the evil empire of America will finally fall. No, the world does not need you, your false ideals, your distorted version of Christianity, your hatred on anything that is not made in your image or anything else of yours.

DT03.. You make me laugh...

"DT03.. You make me laugh... '

JUST chuck the little cretin on the 'ignore pile';

NM

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

The Japs deserved the 2 atomic bombs and much more. What the Japanese did to the civilians of Asia and the Pacific was so much worse than what the Nazi's did. Its one thing to put people in a gas chamber and press a button and not have to hear their screams. Its a totally different thing to gang rape a 7 year old and then gut her with a bayonet. I agree the allies were guilty of atrocities too, but those were sporadic incidents brought on by rogue soldiers. In Japans case, massacres and rapes and torture was policy. Many people feel the entire Japanese race should have been exterminated for what they did during WW2. While, I don't agree with that, Japan is definitely a very violent barbaric culture. The fact that they still try and deny what they did back then and build shrines to commemorate war criminals and change history books shows they have no accountability for what they did and do not deserve respect. The amount of people killed from the atomic bombs is nothing in comparison to the number of civilians and POWs murdered in cold blood by the IJA. Hirohito should have been tortured to death slowly for his part. Again, a very sick and primitive culture.

And no I am not pro American or a christian. I know America has done horrible things but no where on the level of what the Japs did back then.

The funny part is how the Japanese try and make themselves out to be some honorable nation and how they put so much emphasis on maintaining honor and avoiding shame. To me they are the most shameful group of people. Denying and whitewashing your history is in no way honorable. Worshiping mass murderers and rapists is not honorable. Killing yourself is not honorable. Forcing your own people to commit suicide rather than surrender is not honorable. What a joke.

What a logic. Because some Japanese committed attrocities, others who had nothing to do with it deserved to be killed? Little children deserved to be killed? Civilians who opposed the government and the war deserved to be killed because they were Japanese?

America hasn't done such horrible things? Please, your history is full of violence. How about the systematic extermination of the American Indians? Does that not count for some reason? Does it follow that American babies deserve to be killed by atomic bombs?

Some sources say that Japan's surrender was inminent, and the atomic bombs were a warning for Russia.

Those sources are silly! ALL accounts of the day say the IJ Government was still prepared to 'immolate' itself & event tried to remove the Emperor to prevent surrender

NM

Probably, but I find it interesting nonetheless.