Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance : Comfort for those of us confused by certain plot points

Comfort for those of us confused by certain plot points

Peter Bradshaw, in his review for the Guardian, says:

"There are moments where the plot is opaque, to say the least."

And:

"Elsewhere, in the tough and bustling city, the kidnap-and-revenge plot clanks along, often reticent about precisely what is happening and why - and things aren't helped by the fact that subtitles are offered only for spoken dialogue and Ryu's sign language: closeups on letters, including a crucial handwritten note from Ryu's sister, are left untranslated, and the audience must scramble to catch up.

"Many festivalgoers at Berlin, where I saw it first, were baffled…"

Re: Comfort for those of us confused by certain plot points

Well he either didn't see the movie or downloaded a really crappy version of it.

He clearly didn't see the official release of the movie. I doubt he even saw the movie entirely. Probably fast forwarded everything then read up on it on wikipedia and half a$sed a review.

Snap, Crackle…CALL AN AMBULANCE!

There's no reason to believe he was lying when he said he saw it at the Berlin Film Festival.

"Elsewhere, in the tough and bustling city, the kidnap-and-revenge plot clanks along, often reticent about precisely what is happening and why - and things aren't helped by the fact that subtitles are offered only for spoken dialogue and Ryu's sign language: closeups on letters, including a crucial handwritten note from Ryu's sister, are left untranslated, and the audience must scramble to catch up. "

^

Yeah, that was already quoted in my post. Your point?

Pretty self explanatory.

If it was self explanatory, why not just leave it up there where it was originally? You did that in another thread (quoted something without commentary); did you do this in school too? There might be medication that could help with that.

I have the Tartan Extreme, 6 disc edition of the Vengeance Trilogy and everything written (such as the note) was left untranslated as he said. It did make following the film difficult.

I rented the basic DVD and I own the Blu-ray set of the Vengeance trilogy. The suicide note from the sister and the note from the anarchist gang was intact both times.

By "intact" you mean translated into English? Not in the version I saw.

——–
See a list of my favourite films here: http://www.flickchart.com/slackerinc

Then I'm not sure what version you saw.

Streaming on Netflix.

So if your version did translate that stuff, you can't really judge those of us who were left in the dark!

——–
See a list of my favourite films here: http://www.flickchart.com/slackerinc

True but even then you can still garner that A.) the sister committed suicide because she realized her brother had kidnapped the daughter and B.) that the anarchist gang killed the father because of his role in the girlfriend's death.

There's no excuse for shoddy subtitles but it's not like you're missing out on any crucial exposition this time.

We watched this on N*tfl*x streaming last night. Only the girlfriend's signing was subtitled. His wasn't. Her manifesto wasn't. The sister's note wasn't (although as we watched it, I knew what it was, and what that it was a suicide note, because I was paying attention, and it made sense).

That said, the plot is not opaque IF YOU (general you, not specific) ARE PAYING CLOSE ATTENTION. If you are expecting an American film that holds your hand and spoonfeeds you every morsel of the plot, then wipes your chin for you, well, you might have a little trouble with this film.

That reviewer was apparently writing his review while "watching" the film. Either that, or he's just not very bright. Your choice.

Right. It's a shame that the subtitles in those cases were missed but their significance to the plot should be clear. "Why did the sister kill herself?" and "Why did the anarchist gang kill the father?" are both pretty unambiguous.

Definitely agree with you because I watched the film without either note translated and I didn't miss a thing. My only question to you is was anything Park said at the end translated? As he lied there dying? I thought maybe it wasn't translated because he was just incoherent.

Kind of baffled how anyone could be confused as it's a fairly straightforward film plotwise. Lady Vengeance, maybe I could understand.

The plot was easy, but there were certain things i had trouble understanding, such as when Park listened to the radio through the wall… How did he make that connection?