Blue Velvet : The beauty of Blue Velvet - Sandy's entrance into the film

The beauty of Blue Velvet - Sandy's entrance into the film

Watching an artistically rich film like Blue Velvet over and over again over the years, there are frequently different things that catch my eye every time. During the last few viewings, I have really been struck with how visually striking the entrance of Sandy's character is into the film. The way she emerges from pure darkness and shadows and steps into the street light is beautiful, as well as a great visual metaphor / foreshadowing for the role she will play in Jeffrey's life. I love the shot so much I actually just put a screen shot of the scene as the background on my phone for this week.

What are some other shots or aspects of the film that you find beautiful, striking, and/or even haunting?

They Live. We Sleep.

Re: The beauty of Blue Velvet - Sandy's entrance into the film

I think that shot of Sandy is so functionally similar to the introduction shot of Mary at the window in Eraserhead, in the way they both fade-in like ghosts.

That scene you are talking about is the one that comes to mind for me as well. No one does surrealism as well as lynch. Beautiful eerie shot. Ill have to watch again to remember more

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

The fade to white during the scene toward the end where Jeffrey and Sandy embrace outside of Dorothy's apartment is another gorgeous shot that comes to mind.