Crime : Care to recommend British crime films?

Care to recommend British crime films?

I've recently been (quite unhealthily!) obsessed with anything that has to do with British cinema. The Take, The Runaway, Eden Lake, Harry Brown... These are just a few series/movies I've watched over the week--and I need more! If anyone can recommend me any crime related movies set in England, that'd be awesome.

The fat man walks alone.

Re: Care to recommend British crime films?

I'll check 'em out, thanks. :)

The fat man walks alone.

Help, film junkies! I need more!

The fat man walks alone.

Dead Man's Shoes and Kill List. Both have a really realistic, gritty, domestic feel to them and involve nasty people doing bad things, but touch slightly towards the horror genre. Not your standard crime films but they're among the best British genre films of the past few years. I guess if you liked Eden Lake then you'll appreciate these too.

Lock,stock and 2 smoking barrels.
Snatch.
Scum.
Nil by mouth.
Layer cake.
Sexy beast.
Kidulthood.
Adulthood.
Bronson.
The football factory.
The Krays.
Rise of the foot soldier.

Thanks all!

The fat man walks alone.

Dancing with Crime - 47
A Prize of Arms - 62

-basildeardonfan, Nice to hear from someone like yourself and deathcab too that there are still fans out there who appreciate these extremely entertaining great old British crime films.
The trouble is, is that only occasionally do they bother to show them and if they do it's usually in the middle of the night, failing that, it's simply a matter of tracking them down on video or DVD!
You've mentioned several in your reply that I've certainly never heard of and now intend to track down.
I couldn't agree with you more about 'My Brothers Keeper' Jack Warner is simply superb in it! a really nasty piece of work, but then that amazing (for its time) ending, certainly not what you'd have expected from a film made in that era! a true shock when it happens. A great pity Jack Warner got locked so securely into playing police officers and 40's and 50's Cockney Dads.
A classic crime film with another real shock moment (for me anyway) is 'The Good Die Young' when and the manner in which Lawrence Harvey murders the policeman! it truly leaves me cold every time I watch it, yet to see such a murder in a more modern film doesn't affect me in the slightest (very strange).

Accrochet toi a ton reve

Firstly, my apologies to deathcab for hijacking his OP! (but you see how addictive these British crime drama's are deathcab.
Hello again basildeardenfan.
We just have to be related my friend! you have exactly the same taste in British films, right down to the actors themselves!
I do recall vaguely 'They Made Me A Fugitive'but a long time ago.
Some you've listed, I know I haven't seen and will certainly try to check them out, others I have seen and recorded or acquired from ebay.
'The Long Memory' Well! what more can I say that you haven't! a brilliant brilliant dark brooding film and you're correct, as I too have many times thought that John Mills was an odd choice (he certainly aint no hardcase), yet still superb in it. I always thought either of my favourite actors could have made a great job of it too...Stanley Baker or Patrick Mcgoohan! now they DO look like real hard men (both in 'Hell Drivers'). By the way, most of the Gravesend locations featured have long gone, but the church can still be found on Google Earth! along with what's left of the hulks (another strange pass time of mine, searching out the locations).
'Blackout' is excellent too, even though Maxwell Reed isn't seen combing his hair, not even once in any scene! well, maybe just once if I'm honest. That particular film is available as a double feature along with 'Bond of Fear' on 'The Best Of British Collection.' Also try and get 'The Third Alibi'
A couple of delightful shorts to look out for are 'Smokescreen' and 'Roughshoot'
'Man Bait'well now then basildeardon, you may have unintentionally solved a long standing annoying problem for me. Is there a murder scene set in a cellar library in that one? if so, I always thought wrongly, that it was Walter Pidgeon and not George Brent (by the way, did you know Mr Brent was a runner for Michael Collins during the Irish uprising?).
Yes! Diana Dors was probably, to me anyway, THE best actress of her day bar none and simply got better the older she became! then died way way too soon! but certainly no 'dumb blonde!'
'Pool of London' spot on and way ahead of its time, I have that one on Video but not DVD.
Well basil' great to have a crack with you and if you can recommend any others, I'll by happy to hear of them (so long as deathcab doesn't mind having his posting Hijacked that is).

Accrochet toi a ton reve

Hello again basil', 'Home To Danger' I'll certainly look out for it. Rhona Anderson eh! of 'The Black Rider' fame no less! and also Mrs Gordon Jackson to boot! (being a British Bike nut I just have to love that hammy little gem)from Nettlefold Studios, if only for the British iron! and good old Leslie Dwyer.
'The Stranger Left No Card' no, I haven't seen it, but I did vaguely recall an episode of the 1980's series 'Tales of The Unexpected' along the same lines and after checking it out, find that it was called 'Stranger In Town' and by the same director no less! but I will certainly keep a look out for the superior original if it's that good.
Robert Shaw, how about 'Diamonds' a bit late I know, but superb, although the colour has to be turned off!
I mentioned 'The Gelignite Gang' earlier, not a bad low budget film at all and yet another rather brutal little cold blooded murder of the young man, then a nice unexpected twist for the ending.
Stay in touch basil'and deathcab too, the more the merrier!

Accrochet toi a ton reve

Watch the series Luther. It's the best thing British tv has ever produced.

deathcab, it's certainly not an unhealthy obsession. British crime dramas are my favourite films, especially the black and whites, here's a few to try out if you can get them.....

1/ PAYROLL,
2/ THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY.
3/ THE GELIGNITE GANG.
5/ THE GOOD DIE YOUNG.
6/ HELL DRIVERS (not sure if you'd class it as crime though, but still great).
7/ STRONGROOM. (not for the claustrophobic).
8/ SCOTLAND YARD (50's tv series).
9/ THE MYSTERIES OF EDGAR WALLAS (60's tv series).
10/MY BROTHERS KEEPER.
11/ROBBERY.
12/ THE LONG ARM.
"The Long Good Friday" is just superb and so well made that it could have been shot in the 50's rather than 20 years later. I prefere to watch it in black and white in any case (now that is weird!).
The two tv series are a must get, they occasionally turn up on ebay, or Stojo, they're worth every penny, you'll watch them over and over again and never tire of them.

This one may be Irish, but it is worth seeing:
A Film With Me In It.
It has murders and black humor--shocking and funny at the same time...highly recommended.

The bank job- very good film. Hot fuzz more crime comedy but still good.

As 'Harry Brown' is prominent at start, why not the original #GetCarter , has Michael Caine & a small bit by ( my #ZuluKarmaCrow ), Glynn 'Dave' Edwards.

Also try the original historical Scottish feature 'Burke & Hare' , ( the reMake wi @simonpegg is actually uniquely funny, & a likely #Twilm ), plus of modern movies, 'Blitz' & @Parkermovie are credible & contrasting film upon those leading more 'Criminal-Lifestyle'. ( #Parker however is set in America )

f< @Crow_TLJ0NG

Its 'the long good friday' all the way dude. Stars Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren its funny, .gripping, realistic and brutal. Up there with the best of gangster films.

Also worth considering are

The Krays, Snatch, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Layer Cake.

Must, recall 2 *see 'Long Good Friday, aGain., Chris_McHugh ,Know its good. Believe its slightly hampered
by '70's censor aspects., if anything, Bob Hoskins performance in 'Unleashed, was nearly equal. However, not highly 'British', in style.

Other 4 selected, each have their own 'facets, which *Shine.

(At this time, only 1 has headStart upon, 'Twilm, status to rival 'Parker.
Will reWatch, & give a 2013 *punt if many are current.)

On my current 'upGrade, list was prior Bexleyheath visiting (2010 trivia) DJ, Danny Dyer.
Based on a more controlled performance/edit in 'City Rats, found it had a highly credible script for its ensemble cast.

f< @Crow_TLJ0NG

Also "Eyewitness" 1956 with a pretty good cast.

Accrochet toi a ton reve

Bronson [2008]

Rob Zombie is one of the greatest directors today

The Parole Officer (2000)

The Bank Job (2008)

Kidulthood

Green for Danger (1946)

various Agatha Christie adaptations

So Long at the Fair (1950)

~~
Jim Hutton: talented gorgeous hot hunk; adorable as ElleryQueen; SEXIEST ACTOR EVER

Re: Care to Recommend British Crime Films?

The Long Good Friday (1980)

Bob Hoskins' best movie.

Volker Flenske: (While torturing David) I don't know why you're doing this to yourself!

Re: Care to recommend British crime films? (another one)

The League of Gentlemen (1960)

~~
cheers.gif JimHutton (1934-79) & ElleryQueen cheers.gif

Re: Care to recommend British crime films? (another one)

ROBBERY (1967) with Stanley Baker and Joanna Pettet

'Jigsaw' from 1962 is one that I saw recently. It stars Jack Warner as a policeman in a coastal town investigating a murder. It has an intriguing atmosphere and exhibits a good eye for the seaside locale and the little details that come together to form the backbone of the investigation. Overall, it's a really involving little gem thanks to admirable work all round. I wholeheartedly recommend it to fans of classic crime movies.

I also really liked 'Mona Lisa'. Bob Hoskins was just wonderful in that! It's well worth catching for his performance.

Lilli Palmer and Tom Walls are great fun in the 1938 crime comedy 'Crackerjack'. It's diverting and exceedingly pleasant and flighty in tone. If you want the lighter side of crime, this one is well worth seeking out.

That's all, folks!

Sitting Target (1972) starring Oliver Reed as a convict who breaks out of prison to murder his unfaithful, pregnant wife.

Gangster No.1