Priest : Freaking Awesome! Trolls go home.

Re: Freaking Awesome! Trolls go home.

yep you got me, i'm being paid $1 per word to say great things about this movie. So far I've made $500+ off this thread! Yippy!

HOnestly I don't understand people that don't like this movie. Some of the acting was a little rough, but I really liked the plot…. or maybe i'm just tired of seeing moody teenage vampires. Who knows.

I'd love to see a sequel… or prequel even, I'd like them to expand on this idea of man vs vampire war since the beginning of time. Every vampire movie I've ever seen is vampires hiding among humans, a war would be a great idea.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Post deleted

Well my experience on imdb boards is quite similar. It seems there are a few movies accepted to be good, like The Matrix, Pulp Fiction, LOTR and such, and theres Harry Potter and Twilight and a few others with its own group of fans and then theres 99% of the rest of the films who are all just bad reviewed, most of them are all declared 'Worst movie ever'.

-
http://imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=30854878">http://imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=30854878
http://imdb.com/list/HpEaYmtllZ4">http://imdb.com/list/HpEaYmtllZ4

Just upfront i liked this movie.

Pretty sure this one could of done better if the advertisement and trailers were made better, because of the trailer i allmost skipped it as it look'd like just a copy paste of all the cool and current stuff they could of though.

the early parts in the city got me way more intrested of this one ( there we're quite stupid stuff in there also ), it felt a bit like Judge Dredd city's.

Characters we're good enough for the action fest, action scenes weren't mocked up few things here and there were bit off but didn't bother too much of the flow.

recommending this movie to all who like this genre :)

Agree with the Judge Dredd reference, although the trolls on here aren't old enough to remember that movie ;)

I almost skipped it too based on the commercials, very glad I didn't.

Recommend to anyone that likes sci-fi post apocalyptic action movies

Post deleted

is it just me, or are there a lot of movies out there that seem like they're written/directed/produced by nothin' but 13 year old boys that grew up on a steady diet of the matrix/anime/dc comics and michael bay films?

great casts

horribly cliche'd dialogue

heavy use of special effects

uninspired scores/soundtracks or even worse soundtracks with lots of sh*tty metal guitar and electronic beats

decent to great camera work

overused and saturated with unnecessary symbolism (at the very least not used effectively)

that being said, they're not absolute garbage. but they quickly become the "seen one, seen 'em all"

My words, especially *uninspired* … boring plot and a really big lack of imagination. It's like a mash-up of other movies (I am legend, Jonah Hex, The mutant chronicles, Legion etc.) The *wasteland* was nothing more than a sandy flagstone, no details at all.

PS: Mostly the movies turn out to be bad, if the trailer already shows a lot. It's like they need to prove themselves having created an interesting story.

PPS: I've seen a lot more than 1'000 movies. Does that make me a troll? Just because I claim to know more about *good* movies than a *13 year old boys that grew up on a steady diet of the matrix/anime/dc comics and michael bay films*. This does NOT mean I can't enjoy a moderate movie. But I definitly do NOT enjoy a movie that aims at the 3D technologie and nothing more. There are enough of them already, like Avatar (which by the way is great entertainment).

PPPS: Thanks for your fit occasion firstborn1492

it was crap! simple as

It was a bad movie for sure
but i enjoyed it…..

Amen, Brother! I frikkin loved it! This was an awesome adaption of the graphic novel. I can't believe it's only got 5.7 / 10 here!

Padwanna!

The internet has the ability to turn sane people into ranting fools!

I liked the part where the Maggie Q sliced a familiar into dozens of pieces with her whip. Otherwise, this movie was terrible. No trolling here. Its only redeeming factors were the previously cited action moment and its short run-time.

i have to agree, great movie.

I think the commercials and title sank it, made it look too religious when really it had nothing to do with religion, they could have called the "church" any organization and the "priests" any high ranking member of the organization that was no longer appreciated and the movie would be the same.

It was nice to see vampires that weren't whining about teen angst BS

Amazing story line and concept, I waited for DVD because the commercials looked like crap but now that I saw it I really wish I would have seen it in theaters. I'd love to see a sequel but considering they spent $60 million and made only 30 I don't see a sequel coming.

Count me in too. After being let down by REC 2, Priest gave me a good ride. Yeah I have no idea how can anyone not like this. It had solid production values, nice set designs, good cinematography, interesting and formidable characters, and a good old fashion story of good vs evil.

And I am so glad in the end there will be many more sequels to come. I rather watch this weekly than over rated boring bullcrap films like True grit or Rango.

I just watched the movie on pay-per-view, and I loved it! Great "bad guy" (Karl Urban is great in anything), great "creatures", it DID need a little more of the "Queen" … we're left kinda thinking "vampire queen" or "praying mantis-lady" from Buffy?
The "Priests" are great "heroes" and the "human" help is okay! It really left me immediately wanting a sequel
!
To me, it's fine if you want your "sparkly, non-fanged" vampires, or your Underworld (which I also love) vampires that never actually BITE anyone (the werewolves carry that franchise, basically), but I liked this movie with it's different take on the vampires, yet still ferocious! I want sequels!

"I'm gonna hunt for U, I WILL find U, and I will KILL U"! L.Neeson - TAKEN

Ok, to both reiterate a point or two, and respond to comments & questions…

1. I'm 45, and have been a movie buff for as long as I can remember. Was weened on classic cinema, wonderful B-movies, cheap & cheesy sci-fi, and noir flicks. I was probably the only 10 year old from my generation that not only knew who John Garfield was, but had seen all his major films and loved 'em. :)

2. I have absolutely no problem with people having their own ideas, tastes and opinions. That's not what I said at all and to make out like I did is just, well, trolling, plain and simple. What I did say is that I'm tired of watching the few people that do enjoy a movie and attempt to post about it getting buried under classic troll posts, which IMDB is replete with. My definition of an IMDB troll is someone that, whether they've actually seen a flick or not, is posting negative, angry comments just for their own sake, because they enjoy stirring things up and watching others react. It's childish and annoying, and a total waste of time for anyone other than the trolls themselves. (A good friend of mine is an admitted troll, and I get to listen to him laughing his butt off as he goes fishing for fights on various forums, and always succeeds in finding people's buttons and unceremoniously pushing them, much to his sadistic delight…)

3. No matter what you think of Priest, there's on thing that I honestly don't think can be argued (but I'm sure some will try, if for no other reason than I said that): It was fun. Cliches? Yep. Unrealistic? You betcha. "Homages" out the ying-yang? Clearly a truckload. But y'know what? I was glued to the screen, and came away from it with a grin on my face. I enjoyed the experience and had a good time, and that is pretty much how I define a good movie, whether it meets everyone's criteria for "quality cinema" or not. If a movie achieved what it set out to do, it's a win. The Crying Game and Naked Lunch are proof that such "wins" don't always equate to enjoying oneself, but you get my point.

4. As stated, no, I have never read the original graphic novels. I did, out of curiosity go and read a bit about them after seeing the movie, and can tell that the film doesn't even come close to being faithful to them (similarities appear to be slightly cosmetic and end there). So yeah, had I been a fan of the comics I'd very likely have been disappointed, but as someone that came at the movie fresh, and was able to take it on its own merits, I enjoyed it.

I agree with Kurgan here. Despite not being faithful to the original material, this is a fun, albeit cliched, movie. I did find it to be mediocre, but at least it wasn't horrible like you critics are making it to be.

Welcome to my Nightmare- Freddy Krueger

It was crap. As bad as that other piece of sht Green Lantern.

I agree. I really liked it. I mean, come on people, does something have to be an Oscar contender for someone to say they liked it? I thought it was entertaining and different.

cmon now, don't be bringing in real *beep* and try to mix it with something decent. Nice try broomstick.. now go fly off a cliff or something

Post deleted

Dude how can you love this movie. The story itself was decent, the concept was really great (i have yet to read the manga but it sounds awesome). But the execution, the direction, the cinematography, and worst of all, THE DIALOGUE IS SO CHEESY! Everything about this movie reeks of B-grade. If it weren't for the hype, the advertisement, and Paul Bettany, no one would even care about this movie.

i haven't seen to many movies then ..

I loved it! Every minute of it. It was a hidden gem! Someone stated that it was nothing like the book/comic?? No movie is just like the book. I figured this one out in high school with Jurassic Park. I nor anyone near me could enjoy the movie b/c I kept pointing out the differences. If Jurassic Park comes on I only now can actually enjoy it. Why, b/c I've forgotten the book. You shouldn't expect a movie to be just like the book. If movies were all just like the book why would you need to watch the movie.

I agree. I personally didn't care for the movie, but that's just because I don't like that many vampire films. I feel your pain though, my favorite series the Final Destination series and I have to put up with the hate everyday. I don't know why everyone thinks every damn movie has to be the shawshank redemption or the exorcist, neither of which I found enjoyable.

Signature.

I for one agree, this movie was fantastic!

The movie was released here in the UK on dvd today , bought it ,watched it and loved it , very entertaining - thats what movies are all about :)

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
Grey ships pass
Into the west

Just saw it last night. I thought it was very good!

I'm with you on the score for this movie. I too am used to sci-fi/horror/fantasy genres getting 6-7 range on IMDB. It's an unfair fact of life that these genres get less respect from reviewers.

Karl Urban was the highlight for me, and deserved more screen-time. I won't do a full review, but I too loved the Western flair. The bikes were badass!

So I am surprised at Priest scoring in the 5 range. I figured upper sixes to mid sevens on IMDB. To me, those ranges translate to "excellent" for these genres. With that in mind, I don't understand why Priest is down in the fives…

Just saw it last night and enjoyed it. Definitely takes most of it's cues from The Searchers. Felt it just needed more scenes. Needed more development in character and mood. When I watched the extended scenes in the extras I was dismayed they weren't used or finished because the film would have been better. For eg. the opening sequence of the Priest's losing Karl Urban in the raid on the Hive. They had a longer attack sequence that would have established a) how bad ass the Priest's can be and b) how dangerous the vampires can be.

Also more dialogue for Bettany and Urban on the train. Karl Urban was really underused as was his character in general. I was surprised they didn't have the Cliche of the head Monsignor having a deal behind the scenes with the Queen, hence his strong opposition to acknowledging the vampire's return. The director in the commentary said that a lot of stuff wasn't done/extened because of money. He obviously can't manage a budget well because the movie really feels overly edited down and suffers for it. District 9 had reportedly half the budget and was twice the movie. Visually and emotionally. Didn't care for the Sherrif actor. Just seemed incredibly WB/CW TV like.

Fun, B grade movie with A cast…absolutely. I would embrace a chance at a sequel but can't see it being made except for straight to DVD. Mind you I was shocked Ghost Rider got a sequel so who knows.

I give it a 6/10.

As someone who's been a follower of Priest since 2003, it is really, truly hard to not treat this the way I do Dragonball: Evolution. I mean, I could have dealt with them changing almost everything about the series (oh wait, there was still a train in the desert, so that's something), if they'd at least have kept half of the style and flair from the manwha. This should have been something closer to Constantine or Legion in the wild west (not that those are fantastic either, but damn, at least they're watchable); a battle between heaven, hell, and the man who just wants revenge on both. The idea of Ivan Isaacs being a seriously religious priest is laughable at best.

I wonder if the script writer even bothered to open one volume of the series. What irritates me even more is that, since this is a Korean comic, I really doubt it'll ever get a proper adaptation. Its rare to see Korean manwha turned into anime, even rarer for it to be adapted into a live action movie….

The movie, admittedly, is not the worst adaptation ever, but by no means is it anywhere near perfect. If you want a really good horror adaptation, check out Gantz.

After watching it, my general feeling was "meh". It was shot and edited fine, with fairly entertaining action sequences. But I just didn't care about the characters at all. It didn't have much of a backstory, and it didn't explore the characters motivations beyond face value. They could have had a little less riding around in the desert and a little more meaningful character interaction. It was obviously cut down to the bare minimum. By the end I was kind of hoping they got into the city just so we could have a plot point that wasn't cliche.

Is the unrated version only for Blu-ray?

As a person who hasn't read the comic and knows nothing about the story, I liked the movie.

What made it for me was the twists on the theme and the visuals. I'm sure had the film had a larger budget it would have been stunning. Another story that takes place in the cities and fleshes the society out better would also be great. That would be A level SF.

The theme is old but that's super common with films today and so watching something a little different is enjoyable, and this was.

So when anybody doesn't agree with you then he is a 'Troll'? If that's so then you better do as you said and don't post at imdb boards anymore. Everybody is entitled to his own opinion.
Also I suggest you to search the term troll, like here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll

Btw I liked the movie.

well said. We live in a generation full of opinionated kids that only try to hate on everything to try to stand out from the crowd. Unfortunately this desperate need of attention has set off a chain reaction through mindless tools who feel the need to cry over anything and everything.

Not only do kids just want to stand out, but they also love ranting, complaining, and crying because it relieves a lot of built up anger that they can't express in person without getting punched in the teeth, so they flood these forums with their tears.

There's 1 thing you should always remember. If someone is offended by something you posted, then whatever you posted applies to the person who is offended. For example, if I said you were poorly educated, but you had a doctrine, you would laugh at me. If your education was really low, you'd probably attack me back.

So take a look at those posts who disagreed with you and started attacking you. Those are your trolls. They might not realize it, but they are. :)

That being said I won't be back to read these trolls try to argue against me because the ones who will be replying are the ones who I've offended (the cry babies) and I don't want to read cry baby tears.

Actually Kurgan, I have to agree with you, though I've also seen the hardcore love also, but it's all annoying.

I thought this was fun

It's a fun action movie with very good actors (although the dialogue needed some work). Who doesn't want to see Maggie Q kick some ass? And the creatures were nicely creepy. I did get a Joss Whedon, Firefly era, vibe rather than a monster movie vibe. The opening cartoon was pretty awesome in setting up the world too.

THE-KURGAN
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/data.filmboards/images/emoticons/clap.GIF" alt="clap.gif">

P eople for the
E thical
T reament of
A ishwarya

I liked it a lot as well. Love Paul Bettany and Karl Urban and I thought the movie was just plain fun to watch with really fantastic fight sequences. It was a nice surprise to see Stephen Moyer as well. I liked the mix of western/horror with some steampunk thrown in.

Purrrr!https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/data.filmboards/images/emoticons/cat.GIF" alt="cat.gif">

When it comes to movies all that matters to me (whether im watching an action, comedy or some independent artsy flick) is that it be entertaining. And i though Priest was very entertaining..

I think that the movie delivered exactly what I expected from the cover and the trailers. It was solidly made and very atmospheric.

If someone watches a dark dystopian action movie with CG vampires, he shouldn't complain that it's no OSCAR material.

I'm a hundred percent with you

"I used to love her but I had to kill her"

I hardly ever agree with the so called professional critics and it appears most other movie goers don't either. If you have access to the VUDU movie service you can see what I mean.

The viewers gave Priest 3.6 out of 4 stars, and the critics gave it a 17% on their rotten tomato meter. Makes you kind of wonder if they are viewing the same movie.

It is a good mix of genres; the spaghetti western feel reminded me strongly of the trash I loved to watch when younger. So, yeah, highly enjoyable for me as well.

As you have already placed a finger on it: More and more posters on IMDB mistake ripping a movie apart and focussing on the bad with providing a review. Consequently IMDB is becoming less and less useful; I have started going for other sources of information even commercial sources like amazon, where people are often too optimistic but that is easier to deal with in my opinion. I am also sick of trolls, and it usually stops me from posting reviews of movies. Don't need the abuse, have better things to do.

Thanks for speaking up.

"I am so sick to death of watching a movie, loving the hell out of it, and when I come to IMDB afterwards, all I see are dozens of lame-ass trolls and haters ragging the hell out of it."

i tire of watching a rubbish film then coming here to see ignorant fan boys with no taste praise said rubbish film

Whatever bro….this movie was boring, went off course and was very unsatisfying. Wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but its still pretty bad.
Oh and why is it that if someone disagrees with you about a stupid movie, then they are a troll?

What's that, lord? Its okay to eat meat and beer and cheese? Alright I'll tell her

apple sauce comes from apples

It wasn't BAD…

But it did feel too rushed and some of the editing was disjointed, which really detracted from what could have been a great movie. Rather than a quick, animated segment at the beginning, the movie could have delved more into the mythos without overly extending the viewing time (only 87 minutes!).

Think of the deliberate pacing and character development in a movie like Blade Runner…

I just watched Priest and quite enjoyed it. Ok it wasn't the most intelligent or original film ever, but as action films go it was ok.
Haven't read the graphic novel, so can't say how it works as an adaption of that.
The bad guy was a bit underdeveloped, but the acting was general ok.
The dialogue was a bit rubbish.
I liked the concept of the church as a controlling authority in a post-apoc world.
Overall it kept me entertained and had some interesting touches.