Harper's Island : Will anyone admit they didn't know?

Will anyone admit they didn't know?

Ha. There was a thread posted last year when the show was still airing, right before the finale everyone called who they thought the killer was. Almost nobody said Henry. Now everyone is all "Of course it was Henry dumbass, I knew it after episode one! When he told Abby he knew she would come! Duh!"

lol it makes me laugh. So if you are one of the people willing to admit you were clueless right up until the end, who did you think it might be? I recently watched the series again and I'm curious the other names that might come up.

J'entends son coeur qui bat. C'est comme du morse.
love4.gifMMMlove4.gif

Re: Will anyone admit they didn't know?

I seriously had no idea it was Henry. I was thinking maybe Cal or Jimmy at some parts.

At first I thought it was Henry, then was like "nah, it can't be him." So they got me there. I thought it was Jimmy

5nal Destination? F/ck that I'm calling my lawyer.

I pretty much thought it was Jimmy most of the way through, but then when they said it could be Jimmy I was like "Oh, well then I guess it can't be Jimmy. It is probably Henry". So I figured it out the episode before we found out it was Henry. I pretty much had Henry as a "possible" suspect in my mind since Trish's almost drowning scene (and even more so after JD's death), but it was really a minor suspicion until the end.

I first suspected Cal hard core for the first few episodes, then Jimmy until the "oh look at Jimmy's mugshot" scene, then it was Henry for the last 3. And there was a moment where I thought it could be Abby, but that lasted for like 10 seconds.

I knew it was henry because I spoiled myself but at first I thought it was either Trish or Jimmy.

No one writes songs about the ones that come easy
http://bit.ly/aMmHyS

i kinda had it spoiled as well and then cause i only caught a glimpse of the info i though maybe i was wrong or someone was just messing so i kinda started to doubt it was henry. But i was still really loving it and yes it would have been better if i hadn't known but it was awesome and i wouldn't have guessed at all.

I started having suspicions around the time Beth was murdered, but my jaw dropped when it was finally shown, yeah.

My top 3 suspects were Shea, Sully, and Henry. I thought Henry was too obvious (scratches, blood on hands, acts of violence toward Shane, and so on). His always being around Abby I thought was because he really just loved Abby more than Trish, not that they were related or anything like that (in a sick way like was revealed). I thought that either Shea (she is pretty cold you have to admit, in parts of the series) could've offed family members for an inheritance, and then Richard was acting suspicious before he died, and then with her trying to silence everyone questioning Madison made me suspect her more. But, then I thought maybe Sully because he looked more like Wakefield (possibly his son?) and maybe his accomplice. He also would've been far less suspect and made for a more unpredictable ending. Anyway, but I never would've guessed the whole half brother/sister thing.

Happily; I didn't know. Henry was a good candidate, since he knew all the victims and had organized the Harper's Island trip, but he didn't seem to have a motive. I had some issues with the series, but I thought the identity twist was very well done.

Maybe the biggest problem with Henry as the killer would be when he killed his brother; all J.D. would have had to say before expiring was "It was Henry." Instead, he says, "It's all about you, Abby." That's hard to understand.

As for other thoughts, I was pretty sure it wasn't Jimmy, since the first victim was an obscure relative of Trish's who was murdered before leaving for the Island, but there were doubts about everyone. I guess Sully seemed like a good candidate, a sturdy, capable misanthrope, but he seemed to come around late. The Sheriff was a good candidate early, but became less likely after he was hanged. Shea was an interesting option, since her daughter was such a creepshow, but she didn't seem strong enough. I was so sure it wasn't Chloe that I thought it might be Chloe. But, really, for me Sully and the Sheriff were the best candidates early.

jxhinitially I agreed with you on the whole 'why didn't JD say something?' thing, but in the end it made sense because Henry was right behind Abby. He didn't know/understand the scope of the situation, so it's understandable that JD wouldn't want to endanger Abby's life by saying something so plaintive. He didn't know the extend of Henry's obsession, so he probably thought that he would kill Abby if she knew so the obscure warning she gave her was reasonable.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Everyone *beep* new it was henry

too *beep* obvious

I *beep* Bitches, Get Money, Then *beep* more Bitches

for your infomation..it's "knew" not "new"

For your information, it's not "infomation"..also, sentences start with a capital letter and end with a period.

Also, yes, I know it's been a year since you made that post, but that's the joy of message boards; you can insult a person back at any moment in time. ;-)

Technically you shouldn't start a sentence with "also" though it has become more acceptable in recent years.

Personally I don't care but it's fun to comment years later on a post just to stir things up.

Indeed you're right - I personally couldn't really be fussed about a bit of bad grammar so long as it generally makes sense. I just don't understand people who would post such a thing on a message board so thought I'd give them a bit of a taste of their own medicine as they're clearly not as intelligent as they try to make out. I know I'm not the next Einstein so wouldn't be the first to point out someone's random, little mistakes that make no difference to my life.

___
Twitter: http://twitter.com/aps87

jxh13 and bulletproofclod:

J.D. was about to tell who the murderer was, and in a way he did. But before he said anything, Henry walked up from behind (before we saw who it was, only his shadow, and Abby didn't notice at once), and J.D. said "it's you" pause "It's all about you, Abby". Abby, and us as viewers, are supposed to think he was talking about Abby all the time, but when he said "it's you", he really replied to Abbys question to who did this to him, and he meant "it's you, Henry".

They blew up Congress!

My blog(Norwegian):
http://jennukka.wordpress.com

I honestly called Henry when his brother is killed and he was the only one around. I stuck with my prediction from that point and ended up being correct

I think he didn't say it outright because Henry was right there behind Abby listening. He may have thought that Henry would kill her if he revealed his identity as the killer.

What I want to know is how J.D. knew it was all about Abby. Did Henry launch into a long explanation before he gutted him?

I thought they went out of their way to make us think it was Jimmy or the Sherriff, even before all the suspicions from the rest of the characters. At first I thought it might've been Chloe, just because they emphasised why someone like her would go out with someone like Cal. Then I changed to Danny for a long while, as he was the one that seemed to have no backstory, or the quiet one in the background so to speak. And then at the end when it had to be Sully or Henry because of Wakefield mentioning his 'son', of course it was going to be Henry!

Nearly any guess is a good one right at the start though. Although anyone who thought it might've been Hunter Jennings probably hasn't seen enough of these whodunnits LOL.

I agree with the OP. It's so funny how many people suddenly came out of the woodwork insisting that they knew all along that it was Henry. Anyone on the boards during the original run knows that's a load of crock. There was nearly no serious suspicion until it was down to like six people, and even then people were pretty evenly divided on who they thought the perpetrator was. It's mostly amusing, but borderline annoying, especially because they aren't fooling anyone. Sure people had flashes of suspicion towards Henry like they did towards nearly everyone.

The popular schools of thought were The Sheriff, just Wakefield, Chloe/Cal thrill killers, JD of course before his demise, Abby having gone crazy and offing people, Trish, Jimmy, and Sully for the most part. Even Maggie, since she was kind of out of nowhere. But there was no legitimate outcries insisting that it was so obvious, Henry's the killer.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubblegum.

I was pretty much certain it was Jimmy!
Henry was just like wow!

what do you say to that broccoli stop mocking me

i thought it was the english guy haha, he was just so innocent! and when they showed him pull his girlfriend underwater in the first episode a red flag flew up in my mind and i was like ITS HIM!!! haha but yea it never crossed my mind that henry could be the killer. i thought it could be him for a minute when he was holding his dying brother in his arms, but when he was like "i found him here" i was like "oh ok hes telling the truth" hahhaha

Ros-

Anyone who has read an Agatha Christie, can pick up and piece together the obvious clues this show provides.

I'm renting this series via Netflix. I've just finished episode 8, end of disc 2. That means I have to wait until the next dvd arrives. That is why I am here. I don't want to have to watch two more discs to find out who.

At first, I thought there was an unknown assailant, but as the series progresses, I thought it had to be Henry or Jimmy. Why? Because whoever it was, had to be good at cutting up "live things", such as someone who cuts up fish for living. He also had to be familiar with boats (i.e the opening episode where the guy was tied under the boat) That would be Jimmy or Henry. Then, of course, it's the one you least expect. I really thought it was Jimmy until episode 7 and then at episode 8 I knew it wasn't. Why? 1)Because Henry was on the scene when Trish almost drowned (wasn't he suppose to be at that Bachelor party?) 2)his hands were covered in blood when his brother was dying. That really was the clincher.

I don't know why though. Why is it "all about Abby?" Why does he hate her? Did he become so unstable because of his parent's deaths and was able to hide it (unlike his brother?). And if he wanted to kill her, why not do it at the beginning? And who kills him in the end?

Someone please clue me in, I don't want to watch 2 more dvds in order to find answers to my questions. Plus, I like the characters too much to see anymore of them die.

Nice French touch :o)

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Of course they can piece it together. Looking back it makes sense to me, I'm sort of kicking myself for not piecing it together. But personally, I suspected everyone. I never had a solid person in mind. I had motives for everyone and it was simply which one the writers chose in my mind lol. But I stalked this board during the original run and like someone said, it was pretty evenly divided on who the killer was. And all of the posts now are about how it was obviously Henry all along. It's like, 'who do they think they are fooling?'

I agree there were issues and plot holes with the show, but I for one was obsessed with it. I've never been so addicted to a show before lol. And I think they pulled the ending off pretty well. It might not have made 100% sense in the 'real world' but I felt it made sense for Harper's Island. It kept me on the edge of my seat up until the end, and really, isn't that what you truly want with a show like this? Watching it a second time just made it more obvious how much it worked. One would think it might be a little boring knowing the out come, but it wasn't. At least not to me :-)

love4.gifMMMlove4.gif

Ros,

I think the ones who have expressed themselves here are true "who-dun-its". What I mean by that is, they are the kind that will scrutinize every detail as the show goes a long so they can come to a logical hypothesis. From what I gather from your comments, your priority was to enjoy the show first, dissect it later.

The series was rather addicting. As I said, I started to adore the characters and didn't want to see any more of them die off. So I decided not to finish it.

You would have loved this (it's a real eye-rolling moment)

My husband first thought it was Henry, not because of any clues, just because he would be the least likely suspect. Then, he thought it was Jimmy, then he thought it was Abby's father, then it was back to Henry, and back to Abby's father.

He looked at these folders to see who did it, then came away from the computer, marched right up to me, and said "See? I was right" then walked away preening himself. I justed rolled my eyes *g*

I think the series was great (sans some of the plot irregularities)and hope something of this kind of eerie brain teasers will be made again.

BTW- I was disappointed they made Uncle Marty one of the first to go. (well, actually the second). His character was quite colorful.

Have a great day!

Laura

my guesses just kept changing

I always wanted the killer to be Cal so he wouldn't die

My honest guess was shea maggie and henry was just kinda like a half suspect like maybe but I couldn't think of a good reason for him to be the killer so he was kinda just in the middle. I was clueless until Maggie died then I was like it's either Jimmy or Henry

"just blast an air horn, make sure the killer knows where escaping "

I was always very suspicious of Sully and I thought it was him for awhile. He just seemed like kind of a shady character and untrustworthy. He seemed like a bad dude, he tried to sleep with Trish when she and Henry broke up, he wanted Chloe even though she was with Cal and just didn't seem like a good guy.

For like a moment I thought it might have been Chloe and Cal as like thrill seekers and Chloe was all obssessed with serial killers and the look on Cal's face when he pushed Chloe under water in the first episode. But I left that idea very quickly and went back to Sully.

I kind of always knew that Wakefield was alive because the Sheriff kept saying he shot Wakefield so it seemed like he was pushing it too much and it wasn't the truth. Also when Henry and Abby dug up the bones, I knew it couldn't have really been Wakefield in the coffin because the body wouldn't have deteriorated that much after only seven years, at least my logic thought that it would have been that rotted away.

Whenever they started to make it look really obvious to be one person like Richard and then the Sherriff and then Jimmy, I knew it couldn't have been them. Richard and the Sheriff it seemed too early in the series to be doing that. I almost believed it was Jimmy when they found his file and it was getting close to the end but I thought that they wouldn't show the killer until the very last episode so it seemed a little early for him. And before they mentioned the kid, and even afterwards, I thought it might just be Wakefield by himself, maybe he hadn't even had contact with his kid since he had been in jail and the kid was up for adoption, that could be hard to trace.

I never once made the guess it was Henry. Sure he did a few suspicious things, especially where JD died, but I just didn't want it to be him. I loved his character, he was so sweet and adorable. Although I could tell that Trish really loved him and he loved her too, I liked the scenes he did with Abby more and I loved them together and wanted them to be like the last few survivors after killing the killer together. I kind of thought that maybe he was in love with her but never in the creepy sibling way it turned out to be.

When it got to the last few people, after we knew that Wakefield had a son I was really hoping it would be Sully, he looked more like Wakefield to me and since it couldn't really be Danny and I didn't want it to be Henry. Before it came out as Wakefield having a son, when they knew it just was a kid, I was positive it wasn't Abby. They were trying to make us believe she was, she couldn't have been it. I thought for maybe part way through the episode it might have been Trish. I thought having a female killer would be an awesome twist since most people don't expect that and she knew Cousin Ben at the beginning (or at least I always thought he was her cousin and not Henry's). But that train of thought didn't last too long because I remembered her reaction when her dad died and didn't think she could have been that great of actor. Sure Henry was great at acting, but he still broke a couple of times, like when he punched Shane and tackled JD.

Anyways, that was my train of thought throughout the series and who I thought/hoped was the killer

Post deleted

I was certain it was Chloe in a kinky game with Wakefield. However, when he left the honeymoon suite I knew there was something fishy going on.

My teenage angst has a body count

Right from the first episode when Marty gets chopped in half, I thought it was Jimmy, solely because the first thing we saw him going was chopping fishes in half. As the series progressed, it made more and more sense, as he was never around when the murders happened, but then promptly showed up afterwards. I thought he was the killer right up until the moment where Trish is running from Wakefield into the arms of Henry. Just him being there at that moment made me think "No way!"

Post deleted

I recently rewatched the entire series. I don't remember who I suspected when I first saw it, but I do remember that I didn't suspect Henry for a second! Even when he was covered in JD's blood.

I just watched the last episode with the commentary and they were talking about how cool it would have been if he'd gotten away with it, and Abby never found out. I actually found myself wishing that was how it happened. You just can't help but love him. I actually got a little teary when Abby killed him! Does that make me totally sick? smile.gif

The 21st century is when everything changes.

I thought it was Henry after the J.D scene, but then I changed my mind. Which made the fact it was him even better for me.

I can't remember who I thought it was up until then though, I probably changed my mind every episode. I can remember really wanting it to be the little girl, but knowing that would never happen.

I hope they bring out more series like this. I really enjoyed it.

It is funny how everyone is re-writing history and saying they knew it was Henry from the beginning, even though Henry wasn't even in the top 5 most guessed characters for most of the show's run. Personally, I did think it was Henry, but I didn't come to that conclusion until one or two episodes before the finale.

Lol. I know, even though he is messed up and evil I still kind of love him, lol. And yes, me too. I got all teary eyed when Abby killed him, and he said "I love you", it was so sad. My mom hated that part, she said it very depressing and sad.

Henry was obvious enough that at least some of us didn't want to believe that it could be him. We were hoping that the show's writers had put in enough effort to make it a challenge to figure out who the real killer would be. It's not that Henry wasn't a good choice, it's that he was a really disappointing choice. Possibly the most disappointing of choices.

There were theories going around about how many parallels the show had to Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" and in that book one of the victims wasn't really dead. It would have been a nice twist if one of the HI victims was really alive. So, some people were looking closely at who of the previous victims might somehow still be alive.

As we got closer and closer to the end then a lot of the talk that I was involved in was looking more to who would survive then who was behind it all. Shea & Madison were hated by a lot of people and so there was definitely hope that they would die, even though we knew that since this was a CBS show then they would probably be too chicken to kill the girl, or her mother. And there were also a lot of people pissed that the advertisements originally said that there was "One Killer" and really didn't take the truth very well. In the last couple of weeks there were definitely a lot of unhappy people around here.

Winter Is Coming to HBO http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-thrones/about/

John Wakefield was really alive when everyone thought he was dead. They couldn't do the same thing with a victim too. If they hadn't done that with John Wakefield though, I agree that would have been a good twist.

I had no idea it was Henry, at first i thought it was JD, Jimmy or The Sheriff, when i realized it was Henry was when Katherine was killed with the Shears because i remembered Henry picking them up in the kitchen earlier in the episode, but yeah i admit i had no idea until then

Billy Loomis: Life is like a movie. Only you can't pick your genre.

There was like, three different cliffhangers in the series where I thought 'holy sh*t, Henry's the killer?' but all of them (except the one where comes clean) were basically ignored, like when J.D. died and Henry stepped up with blood on his hands, but in the next episode that's pretty much ignored. So I just assumed those things were red herring cliffhangers, and did think he was innocent right up till the reveal.

As for who I thought it was I just had no idea. Pretty much everyone had a scene where a character was murdered and they were shown in a completely different place to the murder at the same time, so I had no clue.

Can I have an apple?
TheHobo.

I had an idea it was Henry when Trish's dad said he didn't have a reason for not liking Henry except that he doesn't trust him. That line really stuck with me. And it made me sad, because i knew that Henry was too perfect to be trueespecially since Trish's dad didn't trust him.

i cant say that i guessed it was Henry but most clichs pointed towards Henry. my question was: will this series follow clichs or not?

so, it was 50% Henry for me and 50% one of others.

Yeah, I had NO clue it was Henry! never! My mom on the otherhand, it was the episode when Henry told Trish to take the day off and he was trying to figure out seating arrangments for their wedding.. And my mom's like, Oh no, I hope it's not Henry! ahh! lol. And then after J.D died, my mom was like NOOOO why Henry?! lol. So the ending wasn't much of a shocker for her, though she still was a little suprised and upset.. But me and my sister, first we thought it might be Madison, after she ripped up Cousin Ben's name tag off the gift basket, we were like "AHH!! It's you, evil little girl!", but then people were talking about Wakefield and then they said no he's dead, so me and my sister were like, No please don't be about ghosts, gah! and then I think maybe into the 5th episode we were set on it being Jimmy. And we thought it was Jimmy through the whole season, up until Henry revealed himself. I think for a second I thought it was Trish, but only for a second.

lol you guys crak me up. But honestly, they could have made any of them have a motive. Here are some I remember that were floating around during the original run.

Abby, some sort of split personality due to trama from her mom's death/being sent away by her dad.

Jimmy, the cliche scorned ex lover bent on revenge

Sully was suspected simply because he was least likely and nobody could come up with a motive so they thought the writers might go with him for shock factor or something. Same with Danny, but not as supported.

Sheriff, I remember some people thought he was the original killer and he had set Wakefield up to take the fall the whole time.

Wakefield, the same people with that ^ theory thought Wakefield had come back to do the crimes he had been set up for. OR to set up the Sheriff in some sort of 'you got me now I'll get you' sort of revenge. From what I remember very few people really thought he was dead even from the start.

Chloe/Cal, some sort of twisted lovers game. Cal was the Hannibal Lector type sick DR and Chloe was the groupie type with the serial killer fasination.

Shea, set the whole thing up to get rid of her father, sister, step mother, and cheating husband so she could then get all the family money.

Madison, creepy little girl. Pretty much explains itself.

Some people even thought it was Booth, who faked his own death and then came back.

One of the only ones I can't remember anyone having a solid theory one was Henry. Go figure. I know some people thought it was him because like Sully there was no real clear motive factor. But anyway, there were some pretty funny/crazy theories going around at the time. It's cool to see people's thought on it now that it is over.

love4.gifMMMlove4.gif

There was one moment I thought it was Henry, just after they found his Fiance's ex on the boat with his head blown off, I just got this feeling that the character had changed - all of a sudden he displayed a lot more confidence and togetherness than he had in the previous episodes. (Brilliant acting on his part!)
Unfortunately, as I have absolutely no patience anymore I immediately started looking to see if I was right and subsequently have never seen the other episodes! I'm horrible at playing Clue I might add

I did have a look at clips from the end but I'm going to start from the beginning again and enjoy the whole thing - I'd love it if they did a second season with the same people but in different roles in a different place. I mean since most of the original cast are gone it's the only option right? :)

I honestly had no idea! I remember watching this with my mom and I think we both went into shock when it was revealed that Henry was the killer. I almost died when he stabbed Trish, I honestly never thought it would be him!

Shows lost in 2010: Melrose Place, Nip/Tuck, Mercy, and Lost.

not until he left Trish in the cabin did I even think he could be the killer. Even when he turned up after JD died covered in blood did I think he'd be the killer - WAY TOO OBVIOUS!!!
My idea was that Chloe had a very twisted love affair with Wakefield (once they revealed Wakefield). Before that I thought perhaps it was Cal and Chloe and before that I thought it was either cousin Ben or just a very psychopathic group of friends killing one another.
My teenage angst has a body count

No, because I did have a pretty good idea at the start, and I was positive towards the middle. My sister asked me who I thought it was at the start, and I said either Jimmy or Henry. It was obvious towards the middle-end that Jimmy was the person they were going to try to pin it on, and it was really Henry. There was just so much that Henry did that was suspicious; they didn't try to hide that. I like how they made it very guessable but not obvious. For a while I considered Sully too, because he looked like Wakefield, but then I saw Abby and Henry next to each other and then it was just so blatantly obvious that they were related. And Henry was SO friggin creepy-happy all the time. I wasn't sure if it was just the actor's face, but then in one scene he looked genuinely upset, so I figured it was just Henry being a bad actor.

After JD died I thought for a moment that it might be Henry. But then I kind of forgot him from the suspects list. Then I began to think it might be Jimmy But towards the end I was just clueless, so I saw the last few episodes even trying to watch it frame by frame through magnifying class searching for subtle clues.

"When Al ain't lying, he's the most honorable man you'll ever meet"

I didn't have one person in mind for quite awhile. It was more like okay, what is everyone here for? A wedding. If the wedding is called off, everyone leaves, so there will be no victims to pick off (and, obviously, no show called Harper's Island :P). Since I assumed the wedding was the quintessential reason for everyone being on the island, even if it didn't go through (but by then the killers had successfully sabotaged any exits/communication to the mainland), I looked to Wellington as the number one threat to the disintegration of the wedding (He had called in Trish's ex and was not quiet about his misgivings toward Henry). What got me, though, was when Trish's dad tells her he doesn't trust Henry. It's a statement that was blown off very quickly, but when I went back later I thought "AHA!" I watched this whole series in a day and a half-just finished an hour ago-so I didn't have much time to ponder any suspects. The only things I were thinking were about the wedding, as I said above, and at some point way early on I thought it was Wakefield's kid and that the sheriff never really killed him (the LIAR postcards gave that way clearly). Great show, I can't wait to watch it again!!