Moon : Saddest part for me was…

Saddest part for me was…

... When GERTY was talking about erasing his programming and rebooting. Sam just goes on about being human; but the thing is, GERTY has been making some pretty human decisions, even going against his programming. Sam even mentions this. Sam had also changed the last 3 years, he was better than his new clone in his view point and some new skills he had learned. GERTY seems to have changed too. So not just Sam Prime dies at the end, GERTY prime does too. That's why Sam even took off the "Kick Me" sign from GERTY, he was removing GERTY's humanity both figuratively and literally.

Re: Saddest part for me was…

I can see what you mean, but I have to disagree with the last sentence of your post:

That's why Sam even took off the "Kick Me" sign from GERTY, he was removing GERTY's humanity both figuratively and literally.
Removing a "Kick me" sign from GERTY doesn't mean removing GERTY's humanity. Sticking a "Kick me" sign to something or someone means dehumanizing/objectifying that something or someone (as if it were an empty soda can, lying on a dirt road), it means that Sam originally saw GERTY as something inferior that he and others are allowed to mess with. So, removing the "Kick me" sign actually means that Sam reinstates his regard for GERTY.

______
Joe Satriani - "Always With Me, Always With You"
http://youtu.be/VI57QHL6ge0

I agree, removing the sign was actually an act out of respect towards Gerty.

But logically, the post-it had to be removed because it is evidence of him being there, new clones are conditioned to wake up in a 'new base' without history, but i doubt that that was his motive in the movie.

I skip reading the bottom line, because it is usually some lame signature.

Ha, it just dawned on me that GERTY should have removed the post-it note earlier when he awakened Sam-6 (in order to remove all evidence of Sam-5), but he didn't, simply because apparently he wasn't aware of the post-it on his back. So maybe the post-it wasn't even placed there by Sam-5, maybe it dates from even further back, and Sam-5 merely assumed that it was written by an earlier moonbase worker and thought it was funny, hence he left it on.

(Also, if I'm not mistaken the Fairfield miniature town wasn't started by Sam-5 either; so apparently not all "evidence" of earlier use of the moonbase was erased. But the miniature town was probably an exception because GERTY recognized the amount of work and dedication that the Sams had put into it. It's funny that GERTY cleaned everything else, but was oblivious of the little joke on his backside.)

The explanation "Sam-6 removed the post-it because it was evidence of him being there, and new clones are supposed to wake up in a "new base" without history" wouldn't work here, because it wasn't Sam-6 who had stuck it on GERTY's back. If Sam-6 wanted the next clone to wake up in a cleaned-up base, he probably would have let that task to the Eliza Team; when he removes the post-it himself, it's actually proof* that someone has been on that moonbase between Sam-5's accident and the arrival of the Eliza Team. (GERTY of course couldn't have removed it, and Sam-5 couldn't have removed it either because he was supposedly "suddenly stuck in a rover accident".) So I think you're right to doubt that interpretation for Sam-6's motivation.

[*] Although the Eliza Team and the nonchalant coorporate guys would probably not catch on this "proof"; the Eliza Team would be unaware there had been a post-it note, and the coorporate guys might have may have noticed the post-it during their real-time communications with GERTY (and may even have laughed about it), but they aren't too detail-oriented to quickly draw the right conclusions when they'd see GERTY again without the note (they'd just assume that the Eliza Team had removed it).

______
Joe Satriani - "Always With Me, Always With You"
http://youtu.be/VI57QHL6ge0