Moon : Fallen Angels and Biblical Stuff - Moon is religiously oriented

Fallen Angels and Biblical Stuff - Moon is religiously oriented

This film is clearly depicting the battle between God and Michael the Archangel.

The old and dying version of Sam is God. Fading into irrelevance. The youthful version of Sam is Lucifer. He is far more objective, nihilistic, and existentialist in his motives.

There are many biblical references in this film, starting with the first words of the film which are the names of apostles and bible verses.

The youthful sam descends to earth from the moon bringing truth to the masses. This is very much that whole "light bearer" archetype that is told time and time again.

The older Sam (God) can be seen building a small town, and focusing very much on material things. He is also enjoys botany as a hobby which reflects on his desire to produce, foster and nurture life. Somewhat God-like (but yes, I am reaching there).

Gerdy is basically the third spoke in the holy trinity which represents "rules" that govern all. Without Gerdy, both Sams would likely go insane. Gerdy represents technology and capitalism all rolled into one as a autonomous persona that Sam uses to orient himself with his mission. While Gerdy is Sam's "guiding light", he is also Sams jail warden which is an interesting concept regarding the institution of religion being highly restrictive and confining.

I haven't seen the film in a while, but I wanted to throw this idea on here to see if anyone else noticed these parallels.

Thoughts?

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Fallen Angels and Biblical Stuff - Moon is religiously oriented

The OP is not a Christian lunatic, he is simply a troll trying to piss of Christians and non-Christians.

______
Joe Satriani - "Always With Me, Always With You"
http://youtu.be/VI57QHL6ge0

I think you have hit the nail on the head, Yurenchu. I really doubt Keven Spacey would have anything to do with a "religious movie". From the interviews I have seen, the man is a far left-progressive.

You're a blithering idiot who cannot read and shouldn't be let near a keyboard.

This film is clearly depicting the battle between God and Michael the Archangel.

Umm - what battle would that be?

(but yes, I am reaching there).

Not just there, pal.

While Moon certainly deals with spiritual and unexplained ideas, the writers did not literally intend to make it about God.

Taken from the movie's Trivia section:
"The four harvesters are nicknamed Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John - corresponding with the first four books of the New Testament in the Bible. During the post-screening Q&A at the Sundance Film Festival, screenwriter Nathan Parker said that he just needed four names; no particular symbolism was intended."

The movie deliberately does not explain everything shown within the movie, but i wouldnt pin it down to pure religious analogy.

Old Sam built a miniature town and loved material things, but what alternative is there when youre alone on the Moon, not owning any of the equipment other than the stuff you brought with you.
Aside from that, he is now "a lover, not a fighter", but he was not known to always be like this, newly woken up Sam is very much like early Old Sam, a Jealous God, if i have to use religious comparisons.
His affection for botany mostly came out of being isolated and lonely, he starts talking to his plants and later explains that he was just really lonely.
Personally, i thought it was more of a nod to Silent Running than an actual point of the plot, other than allowing Sam to explain how lonely he was.

Also, cloning is considered unholy to begin with, it would be a bit ironic to have a clone be analogous for God, since original Sam might not be that much of a good guy at the end either.

The movie is packed with symbolism and analogies, but it doesnt particularly take a stance on either of them, which i think makes this movie great too.
While i tend to focus on the sci-fi aspects and take the spiritual moments for granted, people like you do the opposite and focus on the spiritual.
The movie lends itself to be viewed it the way you want, but that doesnt mean that it is actually religious in its message.

"This film is clearly depicting the battle between God and Michael the Archangel."

Er...no it ain't. You are clearly projecting your weird religious views onto the movie. There are certainly spiritual and moral questions in the movie but your interpretation is specious.

Blowin' the changes!

clearly only to masonists like you and in hollywood.