John Wick: Chapter 2 : why are the ratings so high?

why are the ratings so high?

even the top voters gave 7.5. IMO it is 7 at tops.

Plot was predictable. Script was also dull. Good action but not in a high end way. I just can't understand.

Am i missing something?

Re: why are the ratings so high?

Movie critics, especially at major papers, are an endangered species. They probably are being bribed or have no control of their opinions anymore.

Worse yet, how cheap do you think it is to bribe some of these bloggers out there?

People have varied tastes and opinions. Is it really that hard to comprehend?

"Hey, I feel this way about a movie, why doesn't every other person on this planet agree with me?!"

STFU. The movie's writing was absolutely poor and it's incredibly easy to make an argument for this.

You really are making a conspiracy that all bloggers, youtube personalities, and movie critics are all being paid off.

Keep that tin foil hat secure on your head.

Paid off or influenced, and I'm betting it's easier than you think.

Actually, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhfxo8xPNGU

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Ignore me then. Want me to show you the button, baby?

It doesn't matter. The boards will be shut down soon anyway.

Amen!
-----------------------
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

The prime example of why the board is being killed. Including this thread as well.

STFU.

This is like the shill's last stand, going on here.

Give me a break, you're that much of a baby that you can't handle dissenting opinions?

If studios were to pay off and/or influence critics, why waste it on a relatively low budget and return movie like this and not on huge blockbusters like Batman V Superman that got killed by critics?

"Aint got no time for bird sex, I wanna fly"

Well there's your answer right there: you know why you didn't like this movie? Because it's an action movie, and you're whining about the script. It's the equivalent of watching Scorsese's 'Silence' and saying "I don't get why people liked this, it had no action in it! 0/10 rating."

I didn't see where he was whining. And why can't an action movie have a good script? The reason movies like Die Hard, Aliens or Predator are considered classics are because not only do they have great action, but they have good, likable characters whose actions are logical and smart, with good pacing, and that comes from the script. That's what the first John Wick had. Not every action fan is sitting in the movie theater drooling into his popcorn and chortling over a kill scene.

No it is not so hard. I weren't bashing. I said IMO and I can't understand. I've just wondered am i missing something.

Same quality movies have much lower ratings and i also think first john wick was way better than this and has only 7.2

So please don't whine under this thread.

This will end up around 7,2 as well obviously.

I doubt that

"Think of it. 90% of the population united against a common enemy. We'll be unstoppable!"

Because some people I am one of them think it was great. People have different opinions get over it.

It was great and you're upset

Yes and America is the greatest country in the world.

What is the greatest country if not America?

Kazakhstan

Yeah actually a Kazakh director made a movie called Wanted also about assasins. Again way better than this but with a 6.7 rating.

It's cause the sequel took ballsy risks and developed everything right better than the first. It may be a predictable plot, but you know this because of how the first one ended. It's the facial expressions and emotion that John goes through that you know instantly what was about to happen. When they're shooting guns, they reload when they are supposed to and run out of bullets when they're supposed to. The director made sure everything was almost logically accurate with guns as possible. It's why Keanu Reeves had to go through a bunch of tactical training for 40 hours or more. There's also this brilliant and comic book style of using subtitles with highlighted words. They reinforce things from the original John Wick into the sequel. It's not over crammed with a bunch of subplots, but differentiates each time based off of Wick's choices and actions. There are layers of conflict in the movie that keeps the movie at a pace where it doesn't have to deteriorate. The problem with the first is that it died after the club scene. The action scenes near the third wasn't as good as the first half in John Wick. The scenes in here however had a consistent pace on the level of action, so it flows much better. Chapter 2 also pays homages to a bunch of action movies such as Enter The Dragon, Collateral, James Bond, etc. I also liked how they use the talk of religion to connect with the way the movie ended. Santino's sister calls wick death's appretentice and his fear is damnation. Knowing that he can't ever stop killing and leave the life of a killer behind. Winston is the devil, he controls everything and we see he could get every assassin to look in one direction all at the same time just in one text. Winston is like the devil and it sets him up for a greater threat in the next one. While, Santino and Viggo are not necessarily physical threats, their actions and rules break John into coming back.

How much are you getting paid to write this crap?

I am not getting paid anything. The movies are great. I wouldn't call them the best action movies ever made because The Raid films and Terminator films still hold a quality as the best of all time. Especially, T2. T2 is a classic and has too many iconic scenes.

I disagree, I think its one of the best action movies of all time AND I also hold Raid 2 and Terminator 2 as my favourite action movies along with Predator and Commando coming in at a close 2nd.

I got paid 7 dollhairs

I actually love wanted.

Correct.

you seem salty. i watched the movie and it was great. go back to your country then...

ppl are tired of quick cut action scenes that have begun the norm where no skill or choregraphy is needed.

Yes you are missing the most obvious point, entertainment is subjective (obviously including films). I will never understand people's inability to realize others have a differing opinion than theirs.

Because your opinion absolutely sucks and this movie is terrific.

I loved it. Gave it a 9.

It's rated as high as it is because folks liked it that much. We don't all agree on ratings. Personal opinions can differ no matter what the topic. There isn't one movie where everyone thinks is perfect.

I thought it was a ton of fun and just as good as the first. Probably would give the first one a slight edge though but both were solid, fun action flicks. Criticizing the script is ridiculous. This isn't supposed to be Shakespeare, it's fun revenge flick. The characters were interesting and pretty well fleshed out and there was some great humor in it.

What's not to like? If you liked the first, I don't see how you don't like this one.

The action just keeps going at a great pace, I think that gives it an edge over the first. Its also got better villains this time around that you can credibly see as being a real threat to John, and I would say the action is slightly more refined than before. Can't quite put my finger on what it is, perhaps its the training Keanu goes through. If you want another message board, go to IMDB v2: http://imdb2.freeforums.net/

Because the movie kicks some serious butt, and I am sure the lovers outweight the haters, so suck it up.

why are the ratings so high? by kadiratakanata » 21 hours ago (Sat Feb 11 2017 10:36:39)IMDb member since July 2011
even the top voters gave 7.5. IMO it is 7 at tops.

Plot was predictable. Script was also dull. Good action but not in a high end way. I just can't understand.

Am i missing something?

This is so predictable

Is there some rule every board on this site has to have this thread?

"Why is this movie rated **?"

Because we all have different opinions & different tastes?

Fascists decide that you are a criminal, then they find the crime

I am not judging anyone's tastes here. I agree with this being a good action flick. I gave the first one an 8 and 6 to this one.

Kids of roundtable is one of my fav. movies. It has a meaning for me and I gave it a solid 10. But it's not weird for me that movie has a 5.0 rating.

All i was trying to point: Isn't it weird it's got the same or higher rating than;

Star Wars

Forrest Gump

Lord of the Rings

Goodfellas

Matrix

Leon

Saving Private Ryan

Interstellar

The Departed

Etc.

But everyone thinks that's ok. So I am cool with it. You don't need to be offensive.

I think the problem that you have when you put together a list like this and compare it to a movie that has been out for a week is sample quality and sample size.

First Sample Quality. For any movie, especially a sequel, the first viewers are typically fans. The ratings almost always start very high and then level off as a wider range of viewer types start to rate it.

Then there's sample size. John Wick has about 20K votes. There isn't another movie on your list here that has less than 500K votes. Over time, the size of the sample will cause the sample quality to be much better, and the rating will probably fall somewhat closer to that of the original.

I personally loved this movie, right out of the theater I wanted to give it a 10, but I know that once I see it again, I'll find the faults and eventually come back down to earth.

I liked the movie and gave it an 8 star rating. Tastes vary, nothing to misunderstand about it.

I guess Keanu Reeves fans like it.

It's that man again!!

Because everyone have different opinions and the majority really likes this movie. Does that answer your question? Only small minority thought it was crap.

Shut up you stupid shill, got your job apps out yet?

What did I do to you? I'm just answering his question and it's true. We all have different opinions. Are you just insulting random people for no reason? I guess that's what trolls like to do.

People why do you even feed this pathetic troll?