The Lego Batman Movie : Is there anyone who is going to stop using IMDB after the 20th???

Is there anyone who is going to stop using IMDB after the 20th???

I haven't made my mind up yet, but to be honest of all the message boards is the main reason I come on here.

Just curious to see if anyone else is??

Re: Is there anyone who is going to stop using IMDB after the 20th???

I'll hardly use it but there are a few things I'll still need:

IMDB's user ratings have been quite reliable over the years. Movies rated above 7 I've generally enjoyed. Movies below 5 I haven't liked. Movies around the 6 mark have mostly been...meh. So I'll continue to use IMDb to check ratings.

I'll also need the parental guide when watching movies with family. And finally, I run an Instagram page with over 60k followers, and I need the "trivia" section on IMDb to share some things about movies that most people didn't know.

It's sad that the message boards will be removed, but I can live without it. I fully understand IMDb's reasoning behind it's removal.

Social Media winner, you are - It seems? Jeez' on a floppy Donkey!

Re: Is there anyone

I'm hoping my petition will work

Alot of random people have helped me spread the word so we're up at 5000 people now:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going#

It won't. This isn't kind of decision which can be cancelled.

Nolan, I love you forever!

We'll see, I just got interviewed today about the messageboard shutdown for a famous online newsservice about my petition and IMDB messageboard culture in general

And I definitly think it's better to try than not

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going#

A) You're silly. Of course it can be cancelled. Almost any decision can be cancelled.
B) Who are you that you have the inside scoop on what can and can't be cancelled?
1. Best on the Nolan statement, you're young and don't have a clue about IMDB's executive decision making process.

A) No it can't. People has been already set up for this, thanks to the notifications. And if you look closely, you'll see that various boards on the pages of artists and movies which never were used or used too rarely, is already closed. So the process is already moving.

B) I seems to be the only person here who actually understands WHY the boards gonna get closed, so yeah, I definetely have a clue.

The right question is, who are you that you have the inside scoop on my age?

I thought the bards are being closed because they can't be monetised? It doesn't cost IMDb anything to keep them open but since they don't generate any revenue they're being discontinued. Which is absolutely rubbish. It's nothing to do with "trolls" or anything like that...it all comes down to the money.

"How perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure"

I thought the bards are being closed because they can't be monetised? It doesn't cost IMDb anything to keep them open but since they don't generate any revenue they're being discontinued. Which is absolutely rubbish. It's nothing to do with "trolls" or anything like that...it all comes down to the money.

"How perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure"

If something doesn't cost you anything but brings you the new customers (users) every day, I see no reason why closing it. No, there is something different than money.

Just an educated guess based on the way you express yourself.

Good job man (whether it makes a difference or not)! I signed it.
I will use imbd minimally after they remove the boards. It will be the beginning of the end for imdb, unfortunately, the page is gonna die out and give way for something new. Quora and Reddit will grow in turn. It's sad, I've enjoyed the boards and all the movie-buff-wisdom they comprise.

Nice job on the petition, i dunno if it will change anything, but at least you tried your damndest. I respect that.

Thank you

Yeah we've almost reached our goal of 10 000 signatures now

Of course. IMDb is by far the best site for movies. I only used the message boards to find out people's general reaction to stuff, and I agree that all the trolling has gone too far.

You think the trolling is bad? That's rich coming from the guy who sent me this:

from bobholt27 » Thu Jan 19 2017 17:05:08 Delete | Reply
IMDb member since January 2016
Get a brain, idiot. I bet if everyone jumped off a cliff you would do it too. You're so desperate to be "cool" and follow the trends. You're garbage. I'm ignoring you after sending this, and I only sent this as a final "screw you" to the flock of sheep. Bye, retard. Get a life

You're the reason they're shutting down the message boards.

do you just follow this guy around the boards and post the *beep* he sends you?

Those seven years of MacGyver finally payed off

Just pointing out the hypocrisy. You're acting like I spammed him over this and that's simply not the case.

That's not at all what I was making it out to be. You came from nowhere and started complaining that you got cyberbullied

He was complaining about trolling. I pointed out (with evidence) that he is a troll himself.

I think the logic speaks for itself here.

But why? Did you follow him here? Is it some freak chance occurrence that you saw his post and thought "Hey, I should tell everyone I don't like this guy"?

I was trying to see what I said that he sent it to me in the first place so I was looking if we had any conversations in common. Does the fact that I was interested in what ticked him off, since he didn't mention it, suddenly put him in the right? I'm seriously not seeing what point you're making here.

Uh, did he make a good point or not? Should people be held accountable or not?

He didn't make any point at all. He just complained about some dude.

Uh, no, he made a point. Now you're just digging yourself an even deeper hole, best quit while you're ahead.

Lol, this just seems like you copy/pasted a random response. The guy didn't make a point he just showed a PM. "You are why they're getting rid of the message boards" isn't a point, and if it is then it supports the "cyberbully" guy since he was literally saying that.

The comment served no purpose except to express how butthurt he was.

No, it proved that the troll went out of his way to be an ass then did an about face here and tried to make himself seem like a guy who was against the exact actions he carried out. I think that's really clear.

I will use it for ratings and trivia, but its going to be a sad day when the message boards are gone, where else are you going to discuss that obscure 1950s french movie. being in a fandom with no fans to talk to sucks, and imdb is one of the few places you can talk despite its flaws

Pointing me out on spelling is just one hell of a poor argument..

It still have most of database and movie rating.

Doubt I will use it much the rating system here is as skewed as hell because of the ease that anyone can create a sock account and have multiple votes, I would rather use RT for ratings. The message boards are pretty much the main reason I use IMDB, I guess that trivia about a movie is the only thing I think I would come back for.

To make a great film you need three things - the script, the script and the script -Alfred Hitchcock

You can do the same thing on RT, make multiple accounts and as far as critic ratings LOL they're as reliable as Hillary's email server.

Of course. On this website with 250 million users, there will not be ANY other person that stops using it after the 20th.

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Same for me. I might rate movies and just check up for info but that's all I can think of.

Whatever you are, be a good one.

Yes I am, I absolutely hate these boards I rarely use them.

Two horror movie hating idiots= Siskel & Ebert

They're even disabling private messages, which makes no sense at all, UNLESS the primary motivation is snowflakes whining about being trolled and has nothing to do with usership.

The proof is in the pudding, as the idiom says.

Heck, this may actually make RT's message boards active again!

I'm going to miss the message board as well.

Col. G. Stonehill: Most people around here have heard of Rooster Cogburn.

Who cares about RT.

They have their message boards still up, even though only 10 or so people seem to use them.

So, might as well go where discussion is still permitted.

I think everyone from here will go to the thematic forums since Feb, 20. People will be somewhat afraid to use general forums from now.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating

No, I definetely won't. IMDb is a great site with a lot of into about films.

The opposite, as the message boards have been trash and a home for trolls for some time, so I won't miss them at all. I have always used IMDB to find details that seldom show up on Netflix and theater site summaries. It's so easy to forget that the boards exist that I rarely waste my time with them.

lol a majority of people come here for the movies not for the chat idiot

I didn't know they were shutting down the message board until I read this post so that shows I only come on here for movie info!!!

Oh, I must be planning on posting more if I've created this .....

Have to say the message board is my main reason too for visiting Imdb.

Without it, I might come to see review here, then again I might not. That would be my only reason, as you can now google the release dates for movies.

What the *beep*?

Now where am I going to go to ask questions about a show that just aired? I'll have little left for this site now, otjer than to vote on content.

Damn homos.

Not only will I stop using it, I plan to boycott Amazon!

You can make fun of it, but as someone who (a) watches a lot of movies and (b) likes to get the pulse of public opinion and occasionally share an idea or ask a question or two, the off-hand decommissioning of the board here is a massive case of closing down the forum because a few people can't stand free speech and/or the nanny state can't stand what it can't control and manipulate with its own talking heads (including the film academy, professional critics, and the self-anointed "trend setters" in our society.)

Sorry, but those are exactly the things that Internet populism thumbs it's nose at.

If you feel as strongly as me, consider signing my petition:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-imdb-boards