Surrogates : Why not use a crazy surrogate? Like a WEREWOLF or stuff like that.

Why not use a crazy surrogate? Like a WEREWOLF or stuff like that.

This movie was nice. I like movies in the near future, like Minority Report, A.I., I Robot. It's always fun to see how it's depicted and the little details of the future.

Anyway, the only thing that really annoyed me was the following: why wouldn't people use crazy/weird/bizarre surrogates, as they do in games like Second Life and World of Warcraft and stuff.

I BET it would be like that, if this sort of thing existed. Who would want a boring surrogate if they could be a smoking hot woman, a werewolf, an ORK, a POLAR BEAR, you name it. Hehe. It could be heaps fun.

What would you like to be? I'd like to be a platypus (not very useful, but very funny).

Re: Why not use a crazy surrogate? Like a WEREWOLF or stuff like that.

Going out on a limb and supposing it would be illegal to have non-human surrogates.

A smoking hot woman was done in the film - the first hot woman surrogate who was killed was manned by an obese dude.

Im going to say, before Surrogates "swept the globe" so to speak, they needed to be human-like in order to function in the real world, i.e. the work place, dating etc.

Why WOULD people use "crazy" surrogates? Remember, these surrogates are supposed to be the perfect version of the operator(as far as the majority is concerned). If you always dreamed of being a hot chick, when your whole life you were mostly pretty average, if not homely, you're going to go for the "hot chick" instead of a dolphin or whatever. Not only that, but in order to have your surrogate do your tasks, and attain a paycheck to support your lifestyle, they/you have to do a job. A Cheetah or a Werewolf doesn't really cut it in the work place.

Finally, you can't live out your fantasy human life as an animal, that defeats the purpose.

"Adultery makes a party go such a swing!" Naomi——Skins.

I'm certain the furries of the world would sorely disagree with that last statement.

I'm a sexy squirrel. The world must know!

Well, maybe on casual Fridays?

So, do you suppose it would be illegal to have multiple surrogates? THAT would be cool. I'd have a "business" surrogate that I'd use to go to work in and see my family in and it would look mostly like me, only my face would be shaved every day, my hair would be cut and I wouldn't have about a thousand scars from various misadventures like I do now. For my second surrogate, I'd have like a hammerhead shark surrogate (you know, massively muscled torso and legs with a hammerhead shark head) that I'd use when I went out drinking with my friends. To round out the set, I'd have a gigolo surrogate. I'd let a team of smoking hot women design it. Maybe, just for kicks, I'd get a Christopher Walken surrogate that I wander around in and use to threaten people, and make corny jokes. Anyway, that's my two cents.

aura.gif"We deal in lead, mister"aura.gif

"For my second surrogate, I'd have like a hammerhead shark surrogate (you know, massively muscled torso and legs with a hammerhead shark head) that I'd use when I went out drinking with my friends."

I lol'd

---
kirkface

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2059/249/53/789508634/n789508634_1325357_1630.jpg This would be my secondary surrogate. With legs, of course.

I only get this: "Invalid Request"

It would become really boring really soon. not everyone wants to be a werewolf anyway. also imagine the cost of costum-made surogate. human ones were pretty much stamped.

----------
In this universe, there's only one absolute... everything freezes!

Would you like to know why?

CAUSE IT'S A FREAKING MOVIE

Oh god i just had a horrible thought.

FURRY SURROGATES

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but dude, A.I. wasn't set in the "near future".

It takes place 2 millenia from the present. That's 2000 years. Maybe that's the near future if you're, i dunno, the MOON?

there's a big difference of time between the first (and longest) bit of a.i. and the end, where he "meets his dead mother". that's far, far away in time. but the first bit still holds some similarities with the world we live in, right?

The end of A.I. was 2000 years in the future. The bulk of it on the other hand, as it clearly states at the beginning of the film, is the near future.

Wasn't there a blue guy on the subway? And next to him a punkish person (not remembering a clear gender) with horns or spikes coming out of their head? Maybe they have to be at least humanoid but they can go a little crazy with skin color and protruberances if they have the money.

That's what I was thinking. Surrogates probably have to be humanoid, like you said, but you can add different "accessories" to the body to make them more unique.

Plus, maybe that's the only type of model they ever made, because I imagine there would be more demand for human-like androids than for random animals, which would a) cost a lot more to produce [custom molds, electronic parts, etc] and b) be much more difficult for the users to handle because most animals are not bipeds like humans are. If anyone talks about biped leopards and wolves and stuff, then you're in mascot territory, and that would basically be a furry's dream world.

Give pop pop your hair.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Whose to say they wouldn't have such fantasy type places to go while on vacation? You know arrive on an island and rent your werewolf surrogate. Now that would be fun, especially after watching the FBI robot chasing the guy threw the no go zone. Super strength indeed.

Post deleted

If you go back to one of the subway scenes you'll see a surrogate with weird spikes on its head. I do believe it would sort of be like Second Life. The Really Surreal World.

I agree with you on this one. And the thing is there is a product out there called Real Doll which makes realistic sex dolls. Most of them just look like hot women, but they know there is a market for anime lovers so they have custom ones that you can get for that fantasy. It would make sense that with this technology they would do the same thing.

As far as being able to go to regular jobs using this technology, I know companies that are so relaxed in dress code, you can come to work looking all Punk or Gothic so going anime wouldn't be that much of a leap.

You could also have a basic human design that can have add on attachments for the furry look.

A man can change his stars

Post deleted

that would be pretty weird and also is there a limit to how surrogates you could create

Or make a surrogate that was 7'4" and a coordinated basketball player? NBA

I always win, Jack. One way or another.
-Cal

Post deleted

cost prohibitive.

My surrie would be bi-polar . Lol

My guess is that this would be common when surrogates first became popular, but in the society in the movie, most people use surrogates and people are only allowed to use one at a time. That means the furries could have their fox surrogate, but they would have to use it for job interviews. This would get old fast.

Personally, I don't think more than a third of the population would resort to using surrogates on a more than a recreational basis.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Speak softly and carry a sakabatou."

Yeah I thought about that too.

Personally I would think there would be people who would want to look like their favourite movie characters. I could see a lot of surrogates who looked like anime characters or the blue monkeys from avatar :P

Post deleted

I think there will be half of the Blacks will disappear, they will use a white surrogates...

*eyeroll*
only those with serious self-image issues. I think with all the weird ones walking around race would become more of a non-issue. Bigotry is based on fear. Being in a Surrie eliminates fear of physical harm. No one would know what anyone looked like anymore. I would guess discrimination would be focused more on ideological differences.

You mean like Steinberg. A stubby middle aged white guy who chose a tall, athletic black man to be his Surrogate.

I hate to bust your fantasy bubble fishmaw but billions of humans on the planet are OK not being white.

No two persons ever watch the same movie.

Maybe there were rules about the type of Surrogates you could have, maybe it had to be similar to you in physical appearance at least, the world of Surrogates was not so much as a virtual world to be whoever you wanted to be, but as a precaution to prevent the spread of disease and contamination

Source:Movie Review For Surrogates
http://moviereviews.noskram.com/2009/11/movie-review-for-surrogates

They probably do, but it would be distracting in this storyline.

===
This comment was typed in front of a live studio audience.

I coudl see people having a few surrogates.

One respectable one for work and then the alternative ones for play

There would have definitely been more variety other than supermodel types. Believe it or not, not all of us want to look a Victoria's Secret model. There would have been goth types, skateboard, emo, steampunk, rock, gangster etc etc types all over the place. That was one of the things that ruined the movie for me a bit, I don't think it's believable in the slightest that the majority of the human population would all want to look like models.

They should have looked at Blade Runner or even The Fifth Element. Actually scratch that, why not just look at modern times?

Also, the surrogates seemed to have just normal human abilities, yet Greer and his partner's body (when occupied by Canter), both exhibited superhuman jumping ability. If they can have such ability it should be OK to also use temporary bodies (hired at a shop, custom made, or used at a fun parlour) to simulate animal bodies, etc. Imagine if they wanted to make an Aliens or Predator movie, the actors could use surrogate bodies built to be like the alien creatures. If they wanted to make an historic movie the actor could whilst playing his/her role have a surrogate body based on the historic Napoleon, etc.
Imagine what LARP players could do, etc.
Or costume parties where people can not simply dress as an historic or fantasy character but have a surrogate that looked like the chosen person or entity.

Also, an issue that wasn't dealt with, as outside the scope of the action plot of the movie, was identity theft due to illegal body sculpts to imitate other people.
What most people were doing was legal imitation of their own bodies, with some choosing to have legal surrogate bodies different to their own bodies.

You people lack imagination.

Okay, so you got a surrogate that simulates all your feelings, right?

So obviously you are able to tap into a data-stream that gives all those feelings to you?

SO, OBVIOUSLY, the data-stream doesn't have to come from SURROGATES, it can come from anywhere, just as long as the data is there.

SO OBVIOUSLY, you can experience the surrogate experience in a fully virtual world. Meaning you can be as much a werewolf or a night elf or whatever the hell you want. Even slowpoke.

I agree. I wouldn't want my surrogate to look like a weird fairy-tale creature or anything, but I would go for an edgy robotic looking surrogate. Not covered with fake human skin or hair.