Sherlock : Well crap. Just when I was enjoying this board IMDb is pulling the plug

Well crap. Just when I was enjoying this board IMDb is pulling the plug

I have a few shows I watch and a few actors I follow discussion about here, but IMDb has apparently decided to pull the plug on their message board and private messages system. As of February 20, this board will be no more. :(

http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

Re: Well crap. Just when I was enjoying this board IMDb is pulling the

Shame! How can they make such a decesion suddenly?

Re: Well crap. Just when I was enjoying this board IMDb is pulling the plug

This is terrible! Discussing movies and tv shows does enhance my experience on IMDB. Message boards is what I mostly use this for.
How or where else are we going to discuss Sherlock?

Reddit?

Exactly! Facebook is the only other place I discuss my favourite shows. Are there any fan groups on Facebook that aren't the official page? I'm on Twitter but rarely post anything there and don't really use it much. I'm on Instagram but only use it for my knitting.

WTF? This happens to be one of my most favourite ways of communicating with other movie lovers. I loathe and do not take part in any of those social media sites they mention, such as facebook or twitter or snapchat or whatever. I do not want to be a part of those communities.

It's quite a sad state to think they're taking away our IMDB movie family connection. These message boards have been such an integral part of my exchanges with other movie fans.

I really wish they were not making such a horrible move. This is quite sad.

Many people are like you and their interactions are also exclusive to the IMDb boards. I've been a member of one board since I joined years ago (the NCIS board). The long time members of those boards have formed a true online community within their boards. Lots of show discussion and debate yes but there are also friendships that have been formed there. Seems to me those may be lost for those who only use IMDb.

It's a lousy lowdown move on IMDb's part if you ask me. :(

I completely agree with you! My tastes are very eclectic and so the wide range of movies I watch is pretty extensive. IMDB has allowed me to be able to connect with such a wide array with people.

I did sign the petition, and because I do not engage in any of those other social media things, I cannot "share" this petition (for if I could, I wouldn't be upset by this move on IMDB's part because I could just swap right on over to their other social media hookup sites). As it is, this is what I've got.

I am so bummed out. I've "met" (ie: had some fun and exciting discussions and debates) with so many people from here. This blows.

I don't use social media and I avoid places like Reddit and Tumblr so for me I won't be able to discuss stuff anymore.

The message boards are pretty toxic and miserable though, so adding that to the fact that many are using social media, I guess I can see where they're coming from.

dang! I am just finding this out right now.

this is a very regressive move in my opinion.

We need to find alternatives to discuss shows. Despite the negativety, I find IMDB users are less mild than other medias.

I love inside jokes (Michael Scott)

There's a "Sherlock" forum on Rotten Tomatoes that's already up and running and available for more discussions:

https://forum.rottentomatoes.com/forum/45294

Thanks.

I also found this one on a site (Previously.tv) founded by former Television Without Pity creators. There's been healthy discussion of the most recent "Sherlock" episodes.

http://forums.previously.tv/forum/76-sherlock/

IMDB message boards were never moderated. Maybe not in there but many of them were invaded by trolls. The Game of Thrones forum was a total mess since a long time for example. There is plenty of other message boards you can go to. I'm not saddened by this news personally. I started to avoid IMDB because all the of topic and idiotic post made by troll and sometime truly unhinged users. It's sad for all of those that enjoyed coming there but frankly it was bound to happen. IMDB was to lazy to moderate properly its message board and here the result.

IMDB message boards were never moderated. Maybe not in there but many of them were invaded by trolls. The Game of Thrones forum was a total mess since a long time for example. There is plenty of other message boards you can go to. I'm not saddened by this news personally. I started to avoid IMDB because all the of topic and idiotic post made by troll and sometime truly unhinged users. It's sad for all of those that enjoyed coming there but frankly it was bound to happen. IMDB was to lazy to moderate properly its message board and here the result.
QFT

I've never had an issue with trolls. Every time I found one I just added them to my ignore list and moved on to the interesting discussions.

That's really bad. Imdb boards provided perfect platform for discussions and for information about movies/actors/etc.
Twitter is useless for any real discussion. So is facebook.
Tumblr? Not really, also.

There are no reasonable alternatives. So fight: the game is afoot!

Jeff Bezos public email:

jeff@amazon.com

Colin Needham's (IMDB CEO) IMDB profile (private message):

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur1000000/

Sign the petitions as well.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going
https://www.change.org/p/imdb-stop-imdb-from-disabling-the-message-boards

Also, if you can, share these links with people outside this board.

For those unaware of all of this:

http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Re: Well crap. Just when I was enjoying this board IMDb is pulling the plug

this is what happens when they start feeling they have a de facto monopoly on something all of them, google, facebook, twitter, amazon, you name it so young and already bigbrothery dinosaurs

what they need is new fresh meteorite of competition that wipes out these soul sellers (as the insiders say - advertising companies with a bunch of hobby projects yep, no tech, no innovation anymore, sorry)

Stupid decision. The primary reason I visit this website is for the discussion. They're going to lose a lot of visitors when they shut the message boards down.