Sherlock : In defense of Molly

In defense of Molly

It's surprising to see a lot of the negativity directed at Molly and the "I love you" scene. She's been described as emotionally manipulative, passive-agressive and a lot of other unflattering things.

She can't possibly have guessed why Sherlock wants to hear "I love you". Yes, he said it was for a case, but it's a long jump from that to "your apartment is about to blow up." She might think, for example, that Sherlock wants to hear how a woman in love would say the words, so that he can judge if a suspect is lying.

She cruelly manipulates him, some say. Forces him to say "I love you" to satisfy her own pathetic needs. Yikes, harsh. I think Molly's trying to make Sherlock realize that it's not an easy thing to do, not a casual thing to say. And perhaps there is an element of "okay, buddy, you want to use me for something? Fine, but you give me something back."

This is a guy who's deliberately manipulated Molly's feelings in the past; remember him complimenting her hair so she'll show him those bodies?

And then there's: "Molly is pathetic for carrying on a one-sided crush for so long." Well, sometimes these things aren't in our control. She deeply loves him and when you're truly in love, it's not just a matter of shrugging and saying "oh well, I'll move on."

Molly probably realizes on some level that Sherlock can't give her a conventional relationship. That's why I loved Loo Brealey holding the phone with both hands like she wanted to catch sherlock's "I love you" like it had physical form. Like she could hold it close to her heart always.

Re: In defense of Molly

Are you talking about people on Twitter? Or some other social media?

I don't see people complaining about Molly at IMDB. Most people complain about the writing. But yes, I agree that Molly is not at fault here.

I love inside jokes (Michael Scott)

I've seen a few posts on this board, criticizing Molly's behavior in TFP and other Sherlock episodes. Mostly as parts of wider-ranging threads.

Also saw Loo Brealey's defense of Molly on her Twitter feed. Nice to read there that many people had posted in support of Molly and about how much that TFP scene moved them.

Ah OK. I guess I miss those threads then.

I'm glad that Loo Brealey's defends Molly.

I love inside jokes (Michael Scott)

Totally agree. She wants Sherlock to knowingly lie to her and see how painful this is for her. She's not doing it out of a desperate need to hear Sherlock say he loves hershe knows he doesn't.

Early on the series points out that Sherlock has never had a real girlfriend. Aside from Irene(who he knows is alive and never responds to), I always thought he was infatuated with Molly. His personality is very childish at times. He treats her the way a teenage boy treats a girl he likes because aside from him being oblivious to others emotions he doesn't know what to do with his own emotions. He called Jim gay immediately after encountering him and I saw it as him being jealous, as opposed to his usual rude remarks. When he faked his death he told her that she wasn't insignificant, but actually really important to him.

He ignores people he doesn't like or thinks are unintelligent. When he decided to let her fiance say his idea about the invisible knife at the wedding just to immediately shut him down, it seemed like out of general dislike of Tom, most likely just for dating her. In fact, he criticizes all of her boyfriend's. While the only other person's relationships he made a remark about were Watson's simply because he dated so much it was hard for them to keep track. He wouldn't of destroyed the coffin if he didn't care for her. He proposed to a girl just for a case. If he didn't care he wouldn't of gotten so upset that he hurt Molly to solve a case.

Sherlock cares deeply for Molly, but not necessarily in a romantic way.

About Irene, he later admits to John that he does text her back sometimes, even though he tries not to.

"She deeply loves him and when you're truly in love"
How can one sided feelings be a true love? I think Molly is in love with her own idea of Sherlock.

I do think it's possible to love someone very much even if they don't love us back. And Molly knows Sherlock too well, I think, to be in love with any fantasy image of him. She knows him up to and including all his faults, and cares for him anyway.

"I do think it's possible to love someone very much even if they don't love us back."
It is and it leads to bitterness and loneliness. You become bitter and lonely. Maybe angry? This piles on your unrequited love. The 'true' part of this love is her masochism.

"And Molly knows Sherlock too well, I think, to be in love with any fantasy image of him."
The fantasy image is of Sherlock loving her back romantically and sexually.

"I do think it's possible to love someone very much even if they don't love us back."
It is and it leads to bitterness and loneliness. You become bitter and lonely. Maybe angry? This piles on your unrequited love. The 'true' part of this love is her masochism.

"And Molly knows Sherlock too well, I think, to be in love with any fantasy image of him."

What Alexesi said.

Molly is in love with her idea of who Sherlock is and what she expects him to be, not what he really is and does. And every time he disappoints her and doesn't respond the way she wants him to, she gets angry and if she can, takes it out on him.

He can do without her kind of 'love'.

She'd also be a lot happier if she moved on.

"Can you keep a secret? Can you know something and never speak of it again?"

Molly is in love with her idea of who Sherlock is and what she expects him to be, not what he really is and does. And every time he disappoints her and doesn't respond the way she wants him to, she gets angry and if she can, takes it out on him.

He can do without her kind of 'love'.

She'd also be a lot happier if she moved on.

I would appreciate it if you would find some specific examples where Molly exhibited this behavior. Not generalities, but quoting dialog. Because I am positive that you won't be able to find it.When did Molly ever get angry and take it out on him?

I agree. When Molly has lashed out, verbally or otherwise, it's always been in response to self-destructive or hurtful behavior by Sherlock.

He was always the instigator, not her. I see that as standing up for herself, not "taking things out" on him.

delalluvia is a Sherlock fanboy who believes Molly is to blame for emotionally manipulating her poor innocent victim. In other words, he is full of sh!t.

delalluvia is a Sherlock fanboy who believes Molly is to blame for emotionally manipulating her poor innocent victim. In other words, he is full of sh!t.

LOL

And TRinzier is a Mary Sue who identifies so much with Molly - probably acts the same way - that they're embarrassed that other people aren't going to always support their sad fantasies of men who aren't interested in them.

And TRinzier is a Mary Sue
I don't think you know what a Mary Sue is. Infact, I don't think you know a lot of things you claim; Instead, you just talk about them as if you do Clearly, I chose my words well.

Anyway, while it's been amusing, I tire of your bvllsh!t. Welcome to my ignore list! Bye.

I would appreciate it if you would find some specific examples where Molly exhibited this behavior. Not generalities, but quoting dialog. Because I am positive that you won't be able to find it.When did Molly ever get angry and take it out on him?

She slaps him when he's doing drugs. HER Sherlock should NOT be a drug addict wasting his talents.

Sorry Molly, that's who he is and no amount of physical abuse from you is going to change him.

She brings him Christmas gifts when he has shown absolutely no interest in her. When he misdeduces them, obviously they're for another guy, right? He's not given her any sign that HE's interested in her, so why should the gifts be for him? But she gets upset and makes him apologize for HER presumption.

Sherlock calls her under duress from Euros. He's trying to save her life. He asks her to just say 3 words. "For a case." She immediately makes the entire phone call about her, and her feelings and takes it out on him and FORCES him to pretend feelings for her.

I can probably keep going on

Delalluvia is making some good points in regard to Molly- to me she is extremely dull character. Her one-sided SAD SAD pining is awfully annoying at the end of 4th season. And dear lord if creators become totally senile on top of all the cheap melodrama of season 4 and make Sherlock "see" her in a "new" way and decides a romantic something with her in the future series if any?! / he would be bored out of his mind with her/. Unrealistic and pathetic. Glorifying unrequited love as in /where exactly?/. Emphatising with Molly's unhealthy and self loathing pattern is disturbing.

Really? Please site for me the scenes in which Molly was ever bitter? Or angry with Sherlock for any long term? Sure, she was pretty mad at him when she slapped the crap out of him (and rightly so!) but Molly is consistently portrayed as an upbeat woman who makes awful jokes ("Stop joking, Molly")(Phone message-"dead in the center of London!"), wears remarkably cheerful clothes, loves her friends (all of them!), and gives of herself (caring for Rosie). She happens to be in love with a man who in the past has been dismissive and unkind while still taking advantage of her. I agree that Molly doesn't see Sherlock as a fantasy but a real person. She's been his bolt hole, his confidant and his moral compass. I think there's absolutely no doubt that in addition to loving him she considers him a friend and also no doubt that he considers her to be his friend as well. And I think he meant it when he said he loved her.

Molly truly loves Sherlock, meaning her love for him is genuine and sincere. She knows his faults and weaknesses, she's seen the ugly dark side of him, but she has also seen the good and brilliant side of him. Molly genuinely loves and cares for Sherlock.
I think that is why his drug abuse upsets her so much. She loves a man who nearly kills himself with heroin.

I'm so glad you wrote this because I try to defend Molly on this board, especially the phone call scene.

When I saw the scene, I thought Molly was thinking it was a prank; that Sherlock was being cruel to treat her feelings as a joke. She almost hung up on him. He cruelly joked about her examining him in the ambulance the episode before ("tell me when to cough, Molly" or something like that). It made sense to me why she wanted to be more guarded about saying aloud she loved him.

I totally agree as to why she wanted Sherlock to say it first. It's difficult to admit something so true and deep. When I was dating my now-husband, I almost struggled telling him for the first time I loved him. It was a real emotion and I wasn't going to take love lightly.

Everyone did great acting in that scene. I'm so glad Louise Brealey defended her character's love for Sherlock and how the call would affect Molly.

It's just sad a resolution wasn't written to clear things up. I would have been fine with Sherlock paying Molly a visit and he says he'd like to talk about what happened, so he asks if she wants coffee. She slightly smiles and says, "black, two sugars" (because that is what Sherlock said to her in the first episode when he blindly ignored her interest in a date). That way everyone is satisfied they talked it out, even if we don't know what they said. The season can end with shippers hoping they love each other and other viewers can assume they reached an understanding and are good friends.

Terrific idea with the coffee connection! That would have been narratively neat, and gently heartwarming at the same time.

Agree. I love the Molly character and would like to see her with the 'new' Sherlock. Maybe he sent the 'you know where to find me' text to Molly! Posts about Molly being manipulative towards Sherlock just to get him to be nicer to her is so ridiculous! And Molly's love for Sherlock didn't stop her from getting involved with Jim. She has a life AND is in love with Sherlock.

Sherlock is not the same as he was even at the beginning of TFP. Even without dialogue, the montage at the end of the episode shows that something has changed, some sort of emotional element has been reawakened that had been dormant since childhood. He seems rejuvenated, happier, interacting with Rosie (since when has Sherlock ever wanted anything much to do with babies?), etc. I'd like to see how he'd be with Molly now as well.

Maybe he sent the 'you know where to find me' text to Molly!{/quote]

No, he sent that to Lestrade. It's a reference to him sending the same text in the 1st season 1st episode.

Maybe he sent the 'you know where to find me' text to Molly!

No, he sent that to Lestrade. It's a reference to him sending the same text in the 1st season 1st episode.

Your title is "In defense of Molly" yet you call her needs "pathetic".

Wow. are you serious?