La La Land : Yet another celebration of Hollywood's own power

Yet another celebration of Hollywood's own power

Sure, the movie is well made, lovely colors, beautiful LA, John Legend and has a glimpse of JK Simmons but for God's sake, did we need another Hollywood's masturbatory celebration?? especially in a time when a masterpiece like Moonlight contains necessary messages?

This movie really pissed me off and made me hate Hollywood. Both characters are arrogant a%*holes, overbearing white guys whining about how no one gets jazz (which was and still is a black people's music - another form of veiled discrimination and racism.) Gosling spends the entire date mansplaining the music he supposedly gets better than anyone else. They are both solipsistic and pretentious who happen to be attractive. And by the way she was skeletal, it looked like she would shatter if any object hit her.

Such a pretentious movie, set up to be adulated by a masturbatory industry and culture and all these pseudo-liberals whose lives will never ever be affected by Trump's policies swallow all the jizz. Argh!

Re: Yet another celebration of Hollywood's own power

You really have a way with that masturbation reference. I fear he doth protest too much... Freudian slip?.....not that there's anything wrong with it.......and your clueless as well.

Regardless of whether one agrees or disagrees with your assessment of the movie, your tone and language advertises a severe lack of perspective.

BTW, no one owns music of any kind. Jazz never was and is not "a black people's music."

"You must not judge what I know by what I find words for." - Marilynne Robinson

Agree with your statement about jazz music not being a black man's music...kind of reverse discrimination. I never got the impression Seb was acting in a way to assist African Americans but simply out of his own personal passion for jazz. He was color blind.

Even if Jazz comes out of black musical traditions, it isn't owned by black people, any more than black people can't make Country Western music.

Agreed.

History lesson:
Black people created jazz for black people. Just because white people play and enjoy jazz as well, doesn't mean it's not black music.

I don't think the statement said or intended to mean jazz, at its origins, wasn't created by African Americans. My understanding of the post was that anyone who is inspired by the roots of jazz is entitled to create and appreciate the genre.

Although mistaken, let's suppose your assumption about history is true for the sake of argument. Conditions at the earliest stage of an art form's development do not dictate who owns it forever after.

It would make just as little sense to claim that just because Asian people are among the best classical musicians it doesn't mean that classical isn't white music.

"Black music" is merely an abstract label that describes how you choose to frame it. You've equated that framing with reality. Jazz as "black music" doesn't exist in a practical sense, which is the only meaning that matters.

Music is cultural. A music type can have a racial identity. That doesn't mean only that race is allowed to perform it or create it but it is that culture's nonetheless. Classical music *is* white/Anglo music. Your analogy was not actually comparable. A better one would be to say that what the OP says is like saying Salsa was not Latin music because non-Latino white people like and create it too. Or to claim that Kabuki music wasn't Asian or Japanese because it becomes popular in America.

I met Cinderella once... She's actually kind of a bitch.

A music type can have a racial identity.

You're right, and I stand corrected: my analogy lacked context.

The OP and Luprki's rationale extends the meaning of "identity" beyond cultural roots to a kind of moral right to ownership, so that white guys can't whine about how no one gets jazz because it's not their music to speak on behalf of. I may not like whiny white guys, but not because they can't share ownership in the music they care about.

A music's cultural identity doesn't mean "for that group only." Classical is white/Anglo music in the sense of cultural origins, and that's meaningful historically. But when Yo Yo Ma plays Bach, or Kiri Te Kanawa sings an "Ave Maria" the idea of "white/Anglo" music has little practical relevance. It's a music for humanity.

Emma Stone was an overbearing white guy? I went in wanting to like it and wanting it to not just be a Hollywood falling over itself movie, and was a little disappointed. The characters were hollow and the love story unconvincing. The musical elements were good, but not enough to overcome the pretty weak story and characters. I'm not sure you mean solipsistic, I think you mean narcissistic, and yes, they were both self centered.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Post deleted

But that wasn't really consistent, since she had to be dragged to the parties and was uncomfortable there. I think they were both obnoxious people who wanted the material success/fame and wanted to be holier than thou at the same time. If the movie would have gone farther either direction-make them plucky and lovable, a la Singing in the Rain, or awful and despicable, I would have liked it more.

Post deleted

I'll have o let an anglo celtic friend of mine who is a jazz pianist in France know he cant possiblyplay jazz.

kyboard playing up. sorr

Post deleted

The critique of LA in this movie is such a gentle critique it seems more like praise when you are watching it. Hollywood is a hundred times more predatory and exploitative than it seems in this movie.

Post deleted

I think you are assuming a lot. How do you know it wasn't her money that set them up in the Château and the car? They didn't use each other. Using is when producers make desperate actors suck their @**(#%. When casting directors make 15 year olds show their tits. When studios enable teen drug using because they would rather coddle stars. La La Land is a love letter to Hollywood. The characters are unlikeable because they are either transparently fame mongers (Mia) or they are hypocrites (Seb). But instead of making an actual comment, like Black Swan, La La Land just wants you to look at the pretty primary colors and listen to some kind of enjoyable songs.

Post deleted

>>Hollywood is a hundred times more predatory and exploitative than it seems in this movie.

Agreed. its not called "La la" land for nothing :)

It's hypocritical to moan about racism when you are racist yourself. Your dislike for Hollywood is clouding your judgement of the movie. It's a movie. It's not politics. They didn't come across as arrogant to me.

What are you going to achieve from envying Hollywood? Try being happy for them instead. They worked hard for it, they didn't sit at their computer all day wishing to be something.

I loved it! In these dark times troublesome times this is the kind of uplifting positive movie we need.

I don't necessarily agree with OP. I found the movie exquisitely made and perfectly directed, the acting was excellent and the chemistry was palpable. However, reading your unfiltered review, I can't help budge away the feeling that you're onto something. I don't know what though. Maybe I am pissed at Hollywood too.

As an older man, I found this film mediocre. Recently, I heard the opinions of about other 10 older people, 60+. Some parts were liked but not much. I'm wondering if there's an age difference here.

I think its positive regard isn't so much related to age. A recent matinee screening I was at was mostly seniors, and the comments overheard afterward were all quite positive. Lots of smiles. I recently read a blog entry analyzing the film's traditional aspects and its innovations by one the film world's most renowned scholars, a retired professor, who found it "stirring." Doesn't mean he, or people in general, believe it's the best ever, only that they found it a positive experience overall. Which is worth something.

"another Hollywood's masturbatory celebration" YES....!! I AGREE...!

Oscar
Hablo mejor español :)

Morgan Leigh Davis notes in LA Review of Books that “Sebastian’s ... is the author of their relationship: he comes to ask her out at work; he introduces her to jazz; he takes her to see Rebel Without a Cause for research (despite the fact that she is the actor and supposed cinephile).” ... Chazelle’s filmography is full of scenes in which men teach jazz to women. As Sebastian watches a live jazz performance with Mia, he explains to her: “It’s conflict, it’s compromise, and it’s very, very exciting.”

He might as well be teaching her about life, which is essentially what he does over the course of the film.

i found it boring story yet i appreciate their dedication to golden era and that is awesome. i felt tingling sensation seeing that old cinemascope logo at the start. that was great