Hell or High Water : The Ex-wife didnt seem all that grateful

The Ex-wife didnt seem all that grateful

After all Toby did for her and his boys she could barely look at him in the eye. Wanted to slap her. Her brother in-law died and I bet she could give two $h!ts.

You're move, creep

Re: The Ex-wife didnt seem all that grateful

Well tanner did describe her personality so it fits into that, some people no matter what you do for them they'll never be thankful.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions"

Well, they are divorced and he had hardly been around his boys.

"If Mad Max Fury Road is an 8, then I'll use 8 for OK, 9 is better, 10 is best."

That was mainly because he owed her heaps in child support, also was was the main caregiver for his mother. So it's not like he didn’t care about them or he wouldn't have risked prison/ death to give them a better life.

And he may have told her about how he arranged for all this (eg setting her and the boys up financially) and it just pushed her further away.

"If Mad Max Fury Road is an 8, then I'll use 8 for OK, 9 is better, 10 is best."

I really don't think she had a problem with that. She seemed genuinely concerned about Marcus (Jeff Bridges) being there the way she kept eying him as he was leaving and then glancing at Toby. After all, they are her kids, too, and she was going to benefit greatly from Toby's gift to the boys. Toby is the one left out as he has to depend upon what, if anything, his ex-wife encouraged the boys to give him. The ranch, after all, now belongs to the boys.

I personally don't think he would have told her anything he probably at most told her he won the money. Remember the trust is secured for the boys no matter what happens to toby it can't be touched or taken away from the boys. So if he were to tell her all she had to do was go to the cops and give him up.

I personally don't think he would have told her anything he probably at most told her he won the money. Remember the trust is secured for the boys no matter what happens to toby it can't be touched or taken away from the boys. So if he were to tell her all she had to do was go to the cops and give him up.

She knew. Toby told his son "You're going to hear some talk about things me and your uncle did." If his son was going to hear, his wife would as well, not to mention the fact that Toby gave her $4,000 in cash after not holding down a job for a couple of years. When news broke that Tanner was killed after robbing the bank in Post and they were still searching on for his accomplice, she knew.

The look she gave Marcus (and she seemed to know exactly who he was, I imagine his photo was shown on the news or was in the paper because Toby knew who he was as well) was one of suspicion. Toby's actions benefited her boys, and therefore her as well, as the land and the oil now belong to them. Toby paid her the back child support money when he told her about the trust so there wasn't really any reason for her to be angry with him any more. Why would she turn him in?

Why would she turn him in?

I don't think she would turn him in either. But I do understand why she was such a b!tch to him. Here's a guy who is never around and doesn't pay his child support while the wife is dirt poor and has to take care of 2 boys. Then he goes and becomes a criminal hoping money will fix everything.

I'm sure she was grateful but it doesn't make love happen. It's like having an estranged father who was never there for you then one day out of no where gives you a free car. Yeah you might think that's cool but he doesn't suddenly become a father.

Maybe in time he'll mend their relationship but it seems like him and the retired cop will eventually kill one another anyway, based on the ending conversation.

Here's a guy who is never around and doesn't pay his child support while the wife is dirt poor and has to take care of 2 boys. Then he goes and becomes a criminal hoping money will fix everything.

You don't seem to understand the reality that ex-wives refuse/deny contact with children when fathers are late with child support payments. Fathers tend to stay away when they can't make the payments as well. But work seemed to be scarce in West Texas. There was no evidence that Toby was a deadbeat dad otherwise and it had only been 1-years since he'd spent time with his boys. Most of that year was spent taking care of his dying mother.

It seems to me that you've missed elements in this film and might benefit from seeing it again once it is out on DVD or Netflix.

SHE'S A *beep*

Women's nature.

it's typical for west texan boys to beat their wives and kids. he has a violent streak as shown in the gas station scene. his son was afraid of him. I'm sure there was an incident or twelve.

Here's a guy who is never around and doesn't pay his child support while the wife is dirt poor and has to take care of 2 boys. Then he goes and becomes a criminal hoping money will fix everything.

Toby's son wasn't afraid, he was just disgusted. Toby hadn't been around for 1-year by his own admission because he was behind in his child support payments and he'd been taking care of his dying mother. His ex-wife and his sons didn't know about his mother's death so they wouldn't have known that's what Toby had been doing.

It's apparent that Tanner, Toby, and their deceased mother had been physically abused by their father, but Toby's character was shown to be compassionate and considerate (he asked his brother to take it easy on the bank tailors). He was violent with the punk in the green car because that idiot was pointing a gun at his brother.

It's apparent that Tanner, Toby, and their deceased mother had been physically abused by their father

That actually makes the theory even more plausible as abused kids are more likely to turn into abusive husbands than those non-abused. Kids follow the example of their dad. The incident at the gas station clearly shows that Toby was unstable and easily got violent. The reason doesn't matter - this time it was a guy pointing a gun at his brother, previously it could have been a dinner not ready in time. Yes, he was smart and wasn't a complete cold-blooded monster like his brother but that has absolutely no connection to the way how he treated his wife. I knew a guy who was smart and nice but occasionally he would get absolutely insane outburst of rage and scream at his wife (and one time even beat her) and after that he would apologize in tears and actually mean it.

So after all I think the theory that there may have been physical abuse involved in their relationship is very likely.

I don't think he was an abusive husband she wouldn't let him near the kids if he were. But i do fully get what you mean, but toby is the other kind of result from an abusive family. His closed off quite and emotionaless he doesn't express emotion or love he has trouble with that. I think that's the main reason for their marriage ending, just look at the way he interacts with his son he just doesn't know how to talk to him or his ex wife. The seen where tanner tells toby " i love you" toby struggles to respond.

The violent act it does show he has it in him but it doesn't mean he ever hit or followed in his fathers footsteps.

I agree with all this. Also, his son turned down the beer implying he didn't want to be like Toby. The two brothers drink a lot. A beer or two in the afternoon may not SEEM like a lot. But that's just the daytime. Anyone who has a beer or two before dinner is going to have 3 or 4 after dinner. And that's almost a six-pack a day. That's a lot of alcohol. These guys are probably functioning alcoholics.

Takes a while to get over a dead-beat dad. Maybe if we works at it, he can gain back her trust. But expecting it all to be ok instantly is not realistic. THIS was realistic.

***So I've seen 4 movies/wk in theatre for a 1/4 century, call me crazy?**

Who said he wanted her back?

Who said he wanted her back?

That's a good point. I didn't really consider that she might of always been a b!tch and maybe THAT'S why they divorced. Maybe Toby was the good guy trying his best while the Mom just drank and was a deadbeat. Only getting custody of the kids, not because she's the better parent, but because courts usually favor the Mother except in extreme circumstances.

Toby was very adamant about making sure HIS KIDS inherited all the money in case something happened to him. I interpreted that as if he was killed or arrested, but it also meant to make sure his ex-wife couldn't touch it.

When I re-watched the movie (it's been out digitally for a while now) she acts pretty cruel when Toby tells her his Mom died. I get not loving or liking you ex-husband but most people, even to strangers, will show some empathy over death.

Also from the interaction of Toby with his kid (giving him a beer) it seemed like he was the cool parent. The Mom was probably the taskmaster, or maybe not even there at all. For all we know she could of been like those ex-wives who spend all the child support on themselves and just use the kids as a cash cow.

"Common sense is not so common"