Arrival : One of the most boring movies I have ever seen

One of the most boring movies I have ever seen

Hat is this movie about? It is boring from start to finish. Is it trying to be intellectual? The actors seem bored. Forrest Whittaker for one seems to be just going they the motions. The aliens look like octopus. Can anyone explain to me how your man is the kids father? Where was he when the kid died?

Re: One of the most boring movies I have ever seen

Only boring people get bored.

Any chance you might answer some of the questions I pose rather than trying to be smart?

Any chance you want to try thinking a little instead of expecting answers to be handed to you?

Or any chance of actually paying attention to the movie when watching it?

"Only boring people get bored." - One of the dumbest statements ever uttered in an attempt to sound profound. And every bit as pretentious as Arrival.

One of the dumbest statements ever uttered

I agree, as the first people to get bored are the 'interesting' ones who need constant stimulus and excitement.

Everyone gets bored, and different people find different things boring...but that doesn't make for a very neat meme!

"Don't you hear that horrible screaming all around you? That screaming men call silence."

Just remember, the future is tomorrow.

only boring people get bored. that's why most movies are utter trash. there are just too many boring people!

Thanks for that! I needed a laugh today...

"Phase One...in which Doris gets her oats!"

Maybe you thought it was boring because:

1. There were a bunch of people and they talked alot.

2. That woman scientist just knew about science s**t and didn't have no laser blaster.

3. S**t don't constantly get blowed up.

4. The people didn't react (based on how they reacted the last time aliens really came here) as they should have.

5. Them alien guy things didn't fly around and blow s**t up.

6. There wun't no Predators in it killin people and blowin s**t up.

Guess she didn't like the cornbread either.

I love dialogue movies. I hate action movies or any movie that uses explosions or special effects to compensate for a lack of story. Though occasionally there are movies that have explosions and big special effects that are great nonetheless.

And I was fairly bored by Arrival. It wasn't a terrible movie but it certainly was not great.

Oh, and I hate pretentious people and pretentious movies. I love people and movies that don't pretend to be smart but rather are actually smart.

I agree. This movie screamed THIS IS ART so loudly, it was deafening. It was the boring version of 'Interstellar'. This could have been a short film, had it not been for the glacier like pace of the movie. I really wanted to like this one, since I love Prisoners, Enemy and Sicario, but it's a dud and it's about to bomb at the box office as well, even if the critics seem to love it.

Too Old to Rock n Roll: Too Young to Die!

Why do you say it is about to bomb at the box office when its already made more than double is production budget back? Add on the revenue streams of TV rights, VOD, BluRay and its going to make a very healthy profit.

"Don't you hear that horrible screaming all around you? That screaming men call silence."

A movie usually has to generate at least 2 to 3 times its budget if not more, to have even a chance of making a profit. Interstellar, in comparison had a budget roughly twice the size of Arrival, but made more than $700 million worldwide at the box office. That's a hit. Arrival will maybe crawl to 100 to 120 million at the box office tops. Not a complete disaster, but far from bing a hit.

A movie usually has to generate at least 2 to 3 times its budget if not more

nope, I will explain it to you, but i suspect you will not recognise the truth when its told to you.

the rule of thumb in the movie business is double the production budget to be in profit. Thats it. That is the rule of thumb for a reason...because actual budgets and profits are never told to the public, we think they are but the real figures are a very complicated thing...there is often not a bottom line as costs are mixed into other productions, and profits can be manipulated so they avoid certain tax thresholds or avoid paying out percentages to actors and producers. The info we have is at best half the story, so the rule of thumb is double the prod budget and thats it...you don't add marketing, you don't add distribution and you don't deduct product placement income or tax credit income.

Movies used to make all their money from the box office, and a bit more from video sales. Now its flipped, they make more from the other revenue streams of Bluray, VOD and TV rights...even airline rights to show movies are worth hundreds of millions to the studios each year. Less than half their films total profit is now from the cinema run.

This film was filmed in Quebec, and just look at the tax credits Quebec offer film makers and you can see Arrival made a ton of its budget back before it even hit the theatres...

- 20 % cash-back on all expenses
- 16 % Labor-based computer-aided special effects and animation & Shooting of scenes in front of a chroma-key screen activities.
- No minimum spend, no caps

YOUR TOTAL EFFECTIVE TAX CREDIT COULD REACH UP TO 38.4%.

http://www.qftc.ca/tax-incentives/information/

Arrival will make a very healthy profit...certainly not 'dud' as you previously claimed.

nope, I will explain it to you, but i suspect you will not recognise the truth when its told to you.

You smarmy, *beep* arrogant *beep* I tried to talk to you as an adult and you gave me this!?

You smarmy, *beep* arrogant *beep* I tried to talk to you as an adult and you gave me this!?

Oh dear, i guess some people just can't stand being talked to in a direct manner. So i will try to explain in a softer way so as not to upset you again...

Most people i have tried to explain my small bit of movie finances knowledge to, just tell me i am wrong, although its clear to me they don't have a clue about the subject. I have a close family member in the movie business, its a topic discussed often and laughed about. SO in my experience people like yourself with completely the wrong idea about movie finances (you made a statement that was wholly incorrect) seem to dismiss my attempts at some education about the topic...usually as it goes against their already held views and bias against certain films.

So here we have the reality of the matter...you didn't comment on the rest of the post so my suspicion that you won't recognise the truth seems quite well proven.

This movie and "Suicide Squad" just further illustrates the fact that "Sicario" was by far 1 of the best movies in recent years. Hollywood, there is no need to remind us.

there will always be pseudo intellectuals jumping at every chance to defend boring arthouse crap just so they can feel superior.

Yeah, exactly you wimp.

I don't go to the movies to watch 90 minutes of Amy Adams trying to communicate with an octopus.

Hell, I'd take another stupid planet sized death star over this lame crap.

Have a nice day. That's all.

"I'd take another stupid planet sized death star over this lame crap."

One of the oddest things about posting in IMDb is how often you come across people who aggressively and negatively react when a film does not meet their insistent demands as to the kind of films and genres they prefer. I suppose it is part of the social and cultural conservatism of our times. I can't help get the impression the point is not only saying "this is not a film of a sort I prefer" but "I HATE this movie for not being what I prefer!" And even "I wish they did not make movies that are different from a type I insist upon!" You see it come out all the time, when a film not of the sort they want is labeled boring, or pretentious, or awful, over and over without explanation. Or in fact with an explanation that amounts to "I wanted to see a different kind of movie!"

Then go watch your different kind of movie, and having moved on, STFU.

Maybe the person thought it was boring because:

1. There were a bunch of people and they didn't talk that much, and when they did it was inane pap.

2. That there were no women scientists at all. There was a female linguist, who could learn alien languages by magic which gave her magical abilities.

3. Nothing happened at all for the first hour of the movie.

4. The people didn't react in any reasonably realistic way.

5. Them alien guy things didn't do anything.

6. There wun't no nothin cept people gettin ludicrous magical abilities.

It was boring because of the terrible writing and character interaction. The lack of action has nothing to do with it.

I agree. While I usually tend to like films like these, this one just didn't spark my interest. I didn't care for the daughter too much, I didn't care that the Chinese were going to attack the aliens. I think Intersteller was a much more entertaining film that examines the idea of alternative reality or looking towards the present one through another dimension etc. overall Arrival just didn't entertain me the way I hoped it would.

This film has an 8.4 rating currently, so the negative views expressed here are in fact outliers. Some may well feel they do not like the writing or the characters, while other explicitly admit they did not like it because in effect they were expecting yet another film in the broad Sci Fi category that was loaded with CGI explosions, violence and loud volume.

And what exactly was wrong with the writing? It's not every day you see a film that takes a different tack on the relation between linguistics and the nature of Time. This film was not primarily one concerned about character development. Guess what? Not all films HAVE to proceed along conventional lines of character development.

I would of course not be so stupid as to suggest say a classic Sci Fi film like 2001 is devoid of character development. But that the same time 2001 is not primarily about character development.

And then we have such examples as rocker's stated preference for his old favorite Interstellar. He found it more "entertaining"! How nice for him!

Does that amount to a persuasive argument against Arrival? I wonder why anyone would think so.

Ftr I liked Interstellar.

I m sure a new transformers movie comin. Hang on there buddy...

I agree with the O.P. Movies like this should go straight to internet download. This bomb was not worth the time it took to watch. Paying audiences should demand a full refund and free tickets to see real movies.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

boring for people like fast food.
they did not made this movie for people like you.
this is need higher level of thinking

this is need higher level of thinking

Dude, you may rethink that!

The nature of your questions suggests you weren't paying attention to the movie and didn't understand the point of it. I don't mean that to sound condescending but anyone who did get it would probably agree with me; there definitely is a story that you clearly haven't understood.

I gave the movie a 10. It is the first story in a long time that surprised me without relying on a plothole. Apart from that, the combination of the directing style and the discordant sound track gave it an edgy uncomfortable feel that made it easy to empathise with Louise Blake and understand the choice she made. I will undoubtedly watch this again and have ordered a copy of Ted Chiang's Stories of Your Life and Others which is an anthology of short SciFi stories including the one the movie is based on.

Maybe it's just not your cup of tea? I like reading SciFi but find the really popular movies, e.g. the Star Wars, Star Trek genre quite uninteresting and predictable to a large degree. For me Science Fiction is about ideas and Arrival definitely had those.

Anyone that gives this thing a 10 needs to grow up.

This movie should be voted worst movie for 2016.

Wut my name is....

This movie should be voted worst for 2016.

Wut my name is....

It's a great movie for people who think they're intellectually superior to others, but actually are not.

Truly intelligent viewers see through this nonsense at about the midway point.

It's not a question of "not understanding" it. It's understanding it, then realizing that it's nothing but a giant hunk of Oscar Meyer.

I agree completely. I like intellectual movies, and I like movies that take their time telling the story. I am not a fan of Marvel nonsense. That said, this movie was just an empty hole posing as an intelligent film. As far as the "twist" is concerned, I had that figured out by the midpoint.

Great acting, very good production values. All style, and no substance.

Perhaps the movie is more suited for those who are more emotionally experienced than those who are not. When you look back and realize the decisions you make in life, for both the good and the bad, are all part of your experience and make you who you are. Not just the selective ones that feed your own ego.

There is the representation of Hinduistic symbolism of non-linear spiritualism. This might explain why some do not find the show interesting since they may be void of this understanding.

That's it really. This movie has more to do with EQ than IQ

No it has to do with a lack of both.

Hang on, on the one hand you say that this movie is not for the emotionally inexperienced, and then imply that it might be for the least emotionally mature people of all, those with a spiritualistic bent. You contradict yourself.

Personally I think it is a movie suited to those whose emotions are easily manipulated by pap.

***SPOILERS***

Wait, you truly did not understand that the visions of her daughter are not flashbacks but visions of the future? And that the baby's daddy is Ian, the "science guy"?

Right after she sees the heptapods' writing for the first time, she has her first vision of her with a little girl. Someone ask if she's alright and she says "it's hard to explain...". The two main characters discuss in the movie how learning a new language re-wires your brain and affects or even dictates how you think. This is what the heptapods' language does to her.

I agree. This movie feels empty and pretentious. Like it's trying too hard to win an Oscar. This is the case with most movies nowadays that get released around this time of year.

Oh snap, yous about to get buddy. Some people just can't face it when their favorite movie is boring to others.

It's not "boring" but it's a not a movie for cinema. It's a movie for home viewing. There is nothing spectacular or impressive visually. I usually only go to cinema for movies that are special and driven by good visual effects and I regret going to see this one. It's not a bad movie but one should probably go see Fantastic Beast, Doctor Strange or Star Wars instead of this.

To one person what is boring to another is interesting - context is everything - when I read a comment such as this, I go look at what movies they watch and comment on - it gives me the context to the comment. You are what you consume, that includes fast food both for the tummy and the mind.

I thought this movie took a while to take off but once it did the underlying premise was so interesting as an idea that it captivated me. I've seen it twice and the second time around it was even better. It's one of those "kind" of movies. Course I thought Spotlight, Bridge of Spies, etc were excellent as well and many many commenters (I suspect younger) were also bored by these movies. They don't move along fast enough to keep them "hooked". Short attention spans. Attention deficit disorder perhaps. Lots of that going around these days.

Note that the OP account is now deleted. Again very telling.

The film had far too many plotholes and too many convenient discoveries. Look, we have shared the planet with cetaceans since the first human ancestors climbed down out of the trees. We know cetaceans "speak" to each other and yet despite nearly a century of serious scientific study we still can't converse with whales, dolphins and porpoises. So in this film we have a completely alien race with a frame of reference that is not of this earth and in the space of days the scientist has begun to decipher their language. Sorry...having studied linguistics myself I know it's not that easy. Yes, you could say it was a necessary plot device to keep the movie rolling but it destroyed any veracity for me.

I found the film to be pretentious, confusing (because of the non-linear "flash forwards") and nothing, really, to be awed about. If, as the ending suggests, the aliens understood human language then why go through all the rigmarole to establish basic communication?

Sorry...this is an art film with science fiction overtones. I found it to be confusing, not uplifting and the "music" did nothing for me. When will Hollywood go back to hiring people who can actually write a theme and use leitmotif? I think I could have produced the same tones on my kid's synthkeyboard and I can't play a note!

Go watch the new independence day and leave the serious movies to the grown ups.

You're being a little pretentious, yes? The original "Independence Day" was a reasonable movie...not uplifting or thought provoking but entertaining, none the less. The new one...yuck!

One man's meat...and all that stuff. If you liked "Arrival" good luck to you but it's not a cinematic masterpiece by any fair judgement.