Ghostbusters : GB2 Fans

GB2 Fans

The original Ghostbusters is widely regarded as a classic and is still a highly beloved and cherished film to this day and rightfully so, but the sequel doesn't share the same reception and is often the subject of much hate. I always found GB2 to be just as enjoyable as the first and while I'd never say it's better, I also feel it isn't worse and for me both films are equally entertaining and compliment each other very well.

Any others here who love GB2 and feel it's unfairly hated on and maligned? I can understand finding the original to be better but I still think the second is great in it's own right. It's got the same great balance of scares and laughs as the first, the main cast are all back with the same winning chemistry and it has some of the most memorable moments of both movies and is just as quotable. While I understand some of the criticisms like it being too much like the first movie at times with the plot structure and the Vigo showdown being anti-climactic, I think the strengths easily make up for any shortcomings. It's looking likely it'll be the only GB film sequel we ever get and I think it's a damned good one.

Re: GB2 Fans

This exact topic was made awhile back, maybe by someone else. O_o

Anyway I agree. GB2 is a good sequel.

It was actually me IIRC, it was long ago and the old thread disappeared in the daily IMDB board purges.

I disagree. it's not awful but GB2 is flat, low-energy. Furthermore, it's shameless in its imitation of the first. After all these years however it is surprisingly watchable. The dialogue is funny and clever (which almost redeems it).

The only problem with GB2 is them having to restart the business. No matter what damages were made, more than enough people witnessed Marshmallow Man and knew Gozer was real. Being shunned from the public made no sense.

I'm not sure about the Gozer part. The Ghostbusters witnessed him (it?) because they were standing in front of the portal looking at him. The rest of the general public however may not even be aware of his existence. From the general public's point of view, ghosts, then giant Marshmallow Man that explodes, then nothing until the second movie. I didn't get the impression the Ghostbusters ever got a chance to explain themselves and put in context wtf was happening between movies either.

That is definitely more than a little on the strange side of things as to why nobody would believe them after the events of the first movie. But I guess you can chalk it up to simple ignorance and people not being grateful for their actions despite the events.

I saw both films at a young age, and have always enjoyed both. The first is better, but I do think the second gets more crap than it deserves. As I grew older, I did notice it suffers from the "rehash curse" as do quite a few sequels I've seen, but it's not really a reason to dislike it.

http://www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

i have a lot of affection for the film. i was a kid at the time it came out, so i was obsessed with the cartoon series and toys. and i think GB2 was the first non animated film i saw in the theater. so while i'm well aware of the problems with the film, i still enjoy it.

http://fanholespodcast.blogspot.com/

I hear you. I grew up with the movies and the cartoon series and had quite a few of the toys, including the Proton Pack and the much rarer Ecto-Charger, which was the toy version of the Slime Blower.

GB2 is pretty good continuation of the original story for me))) GB2 is good movie)))

I agree. Both to me are infinitely rewatchable.

It's probably not likely to get a re-release as GB2 has always been much lesser-regarded than the first, but if the re-release of the first movie does well enough could GB2 maybe see re-release later this year for it's 25th anniversary? Would be a great way to mark New Year's since the movie is set during NYE.

Can't wait to see GB2 in 4K this Tuesday when it's out with the first movie. I'm sure both look amazing.

Honestly, I think Ghostbusters II is awesome! Granted, the first film will always be a classic, but I thoroughly enjoyed the sequel just as much as the original.

As I grew older, I could understand why some people were trashing on it, but to any kid who originally viewed it in the movie theaters back in 1989 (like myself) wouldn't have cared about the plot. We were more into the special effects like the proton streams and the ghost traps, as well as the flashing lights on the Ecto-1A.

The only thing that I really ask myself whenever I view the sequel is how in the world the Ecto-1A didn't tip over with so many lights on top, LOL! I mean, they make sudden sharp turns and accelerate at blazing speeds, but it still manages to stay on the ground. It must have a heck of a suspension system. I can't imagine a 1959 Cadillac being able to handle something of that weight.

BTW, how come the movie theater in your area is showing it in the middle of the month? I thought it was suppose to be a Labor Day weekend only type of deal? They stopped showing it in my area around September 5th.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

The news of the reboot is awful to me. Best to leave it at the two films IMO, but if anything good is to come out of the reboot maybe it'll have GB2 looked upon in a more positive light than before.

I was for years completely unaware that this film was considered a bad movie. And it's still one of my favorite sequels, honestly I still can't believe how much people hate it. I was definetly sad to hear the next movie would be a reboot, a sequel would have made a mostly female cast make more sense. A sequel would allow for original characters, if you reboot the movie then you should reboot the original characters and I'm not a fan of gender changing the orginal foursome. At least in my opinion.

-That was so terrible, I think you gave me cancer!

Definitely agreed. The hate for it is always surprising to me, I find it as enjoyable as the first and I never watch them seperately, to me they feel incomplete if not watched together.

I also was surprised when I found out it's maligned. I was born in 1987 and was really into the whole franchise as a very young kid. I saw both movies, the cartoon, even the juice as one magnificent entity. I really didn't distinguish the first and second movie in terms of quality.

More kid-friendly? I actually found it much scarier than the first, with the painting coming to life, the pink slime in the bathtub, the corpses in the abandoned subway and when Janoz kidnaps Oscar with his long stretched out arm.

Janoz was a great character. Very weird and funny and also creepy.

There were some classic moments, like the toaster dancing to Jackie Wilson. Viggo was an epic villain ("On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!"), and The Ghostbusters really seemed truly heroic and moving at the end, inspiring the New Yorkers with the Statue of Liberty breaking the slime and all that.

Maybe if I had seen the first one in theaters and then it was five years later before I saw the second, I'd have a different opinion. I don't know. I still love them both pretty much the same.

I was born in 1987, too

I agree with everything you said. To me the two movies are just as enjoyable and they go together really well, and I agree GB2 is far scarier than the first one. I notice people who tend to deride it as more kid-friendly just look for something to nitpick. I find both movies have their share of scary moments and a lot of innuendo that would fly over most kids' heads, and GB2 certainly had plenty.

You were a kid, that movie was made for you. I was born in 80 and while I didn't mind it at the time, it wasn't something I watched on repeat. I went back to it recently and it's unwatchable.

Unwatchable? Huh? It is one of very few sequels that actually retains the same character chemistry as the original. I get the impression a lot of fans just take that for granted.

"If it seems too complicated, make it easy on yourself: just send money."

Yeah, there's much worse sequels out there than GB2 and it's nowhere near being a bad one.

What's funny is, the whole point of GB2 is how an over abundance of negativity ends up threatening to destroy humanity. There's a parallel here somewhere with fandoms...😋

"If it seems too complicated, make it easy on yourself: just send money."

So true. And the message seems more relevant these days.

Which reminds me how GB2 is one of the most modern-looking 80s movies ever. Other than some of the fashion and being pre-cell phone, it still looks and feels pretty contemporary.

Can't believe I didn't mention Janosz before. He's so funny, easily one of my favorite characters from either film. So many priceless moments from him.

I don't think it is "just as enjoyable" as the first one. The first one is a classic. I did, however, see it for the first time a few years ago and it was pretty funny.

For my latest movie reviews and news: http://www.hesaidshesaidreviewsite.com

I understand thinking the first is better and don't even disagree with that, I just find them both very entertaining and in that regard pretty equal.

Agreed. I love them both. In fact, I had no idea that some people liked the 1st one more than the 2nd until I visited websites like IMDB and rotten tomatoes. To me, they're both excellent.

Rotten Tomatoes is absolutely FULL of people who hate this film :/

Another criticism of GB2 I never got was the claim it's more kid-friendly than the first and usually because the characters don't smoke nearly as much (they didn't exactly do it a lot in the original, either). I always felt it was far darker and scarier than the first in some instances and at times kind of feels more like a straight-up Horror film than the first.

I wonder if this reboot ever gets made if people will back on GB2 more fondly. If anything good is to come out of it maybe GB2 will finally be respected more and looked upon better.

With the reactions people are having I bet this is already happening.

I loved the sequel. It came out when I was 12 years old. Old me resents people who crap on what I loved as a child.

I honestly think this reboot won't even come close to touching GB2 let alone the original.

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/ghostbusters2/

Thought I'd share that, it's a little older but still a fun retrospective of GB2.

I find ghostbusters 2 underrated and yeah first one a classic but ghostbusters still held the charm from first one.

Lara Croft Himiko! The First Sun Queen! This is Yamatai.

It definitely did which is a big part of the reason I think it's such a great sequel, it still had the same feeling and the charm of the first. There's just no way this reboot will re-capture that same flare.

I, too want to jump in the GB2's defense. Not a classic like the original but totally stands on its own and as a worthy sequel. The 5 year timeline was right and had a solid storyline and the laughs and scares were still intact. I think the criticisms were mostly with the sillier than usual moments and the walking Statue of Liberty which I didn't mind at all.

Most of the criticisms I've seen are it being deriative of the first one's plot structure (which I can kinda understand though I think it still has enough unique qualities to it to differentiate it from the first) and being more kid-friendly than the first (which I never understood at all and still don't). Usually people cite things like the Ghostbusters don't smoke and don't swear as much, which they didn't exactly do a whole lot of in the original to begin with.

Looking back, am I the only one who also feels there kinda wasn't a need for a GB3? Much as I would've liked it I've always been happy with the two films we got and feel the duo is fine as is. Sometimes it's best to quit while still ahead.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game(2009) is part three for me. Regardless of what transpires, it was the last time we'd had Harold Ramis as Egon.

Groovy.

I accept the game as GB3 as well. For me it was a nice cap-off for the fans.

I didn't even know that fans of the original hated part 2. It was a fantastic sequel. One of the best sequels of any film in my opinion.

Sadly an internet search will yield a ton of hate against it :( It seems lately there's more and more of a turnaround on it though which is great. I bet next year when the reboot is out people will look at it a lot more fondly.

A very good sequel.

Only criticism would be the failure to acknowledge the cartoon The Real Ghostbusters, which was too popular to ignore and worked hard to fit in with the movies. To have certain aspects of it make it into the film (Janine's appearance & Slimer being non menacing) was good, but the fact that having them banned from busting since the events at Central Park West and having to start over completely disregarded some really great Ghostbusters moments.

I've always thought the franchise has so much potential for stories and varied antagonists (as proved by the cartoon) and that in a perfect world we'd have had season after season of Ghostbusters: The Series with a few potential disasters of biblical proportions made into movies. I understand that the original stars were probably too big to commit to such a thing, but Venkman even mentioned in the first movie about the franchise rights, which surely suggested that other teams in other cities was always the long term plan.

It's a shame we never got to see more out of this series, it still feels like it has some untapped potential. I largely blame Bill Murray who was always reluctant about doing another.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.