Harper's Island : Will anyone admit they didn't know?

Re: Will anyone admit they didn't know?

At first henry was not even in the conversation of possible suspects until JD death scene. two reasons
first- Henry is already covered in JD blood meaning he was near him, why would he leave him if he wasnt dead yet? id be in a little shock. (i mean yes maybe he was looking for help but still)
second- JD says to abby "it was you" (abby says right after to henry, he said it was me) we obviously know it wasnt abby so it had to have something to do with henry.
I will admit i didnt see the whole john wakefield had a kid and they were half siblings and henry wanted to get it on with abby thing though.

I didn't knowI thought maybe Trish.

I just finished Harper's Island on Netflix and it was amazing!! So sorry I missed it when it originally aired!

I will not go so far as to say I suspected Henry from the start by any means but I eventually began to wonder about him. Henry's reaction to JD after Thomas Wellington's death and JD's own death were the first things to raise suspicion in me about him. Plus he was glued to Abby in a way that just didn't seem normal, even in a protective way. After that, it was still just an idea in the back of my mind that I dismissed. Still a little surprised when it turned out to be him but not shocked by any means.

I did think from the very beginning that John Wakefield was still alive though.

So now onto the people I suspected from the start

Jimmy- I thought he was a scorned lover who was seeking revenge on the girl who abandoned him and all of her friends (including Henry, who I thought I was jealous of due to his relationship with Abby, marrying a rich Wellington even though he was just a marina guy like him, etc.) I was sure that it wasn't him however, when Charlie was encouraging Abby to get off the island and make a life with Jimmy right before Wakefield killed him. He wouldn't have done that if he really suspected Jimmy and he had quite a bit of knowledge compiled up in his attic that made him a bit of an authority on the matter.

Thomas Wellington- He clearly didn't like Henry or Uncle Marty. He certainly didn't want his daughter marrying "beneath" herself so to speak. I thought maybe he went off the deep end trying to prevent the wedding from happeningPlus the whole sending Hunter off on a boat with a check only to have his face blown off seemed a bit suspect. Of course, this opinion quickly changed when he took that head spade to the face

JD- He just seemed weird enough to do it all.

I occasionally suspected Cal, Sully, Richard, and Shea due to strange behavior but nothing ever stood out to me to make me sure about anyone

I had some friends that watched this when it was actually on, and they always tried to get me to watch it, and I just got around to doing it this week because I was home sick for three days and I found it on netflix. I remember my friends being completely surprised and upset when they found out who it was, so I knew it was going to be a huge surprise. I suspected Jimmy and Henry all along because of that, because they were the two people that I least wanted it to be. I realized it wasn't Jimmy when he became too obvious of a suspect, so then I knew it had to be Henry. I was looking for reasons that it couldn't be Henry the whole time, because I really didn't want him to be the bad guy.

If I hadn't known that it was going to be a giant surprise, I never would have guessed Henry.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I just finished watching Harper's Island on Netflix after about three days. I had minor suspicions over who it could be during the show- Chloe, Trish, and even more fleetingly than those two I thought it might have been Abby. But mostly I was convinced that Wakefield was alive.

I could tell from the start that both J.D. and Jimmy were going to be major suspects. Closer to the end I thought it might have been Jimmy and figured he would be Wakefield's kid and that the whole incestuous factor would be there. So I figured out the general idea I just pegged it to the wrong person. Around episode 11 I figured it would end up being Henry and switched my assumptions to his character.

I loved the creepiness with Henry in the end. It was so great. I know a lot of people thought it was intensely weird that he was in love with his half-sister but I happened to appreciate how twisted it was.

I tended to think the killer was Abby in some sort of split personality type thing; I know, cheesy, but that's just what I felt. However, I was always a bit unsure / suspicious of Henry; he seemed too perfect, too nice, too innocent, etc, like the show was trying desperately to deflect any suspicious from him. I didn't think he was the killer, but I figured there was more to him that met the eye.

I've read a lot on this board that people thought Henry was too nice. I never felt this way. Obviously, he came across as a pretty decent guy, but he had quite the temper and let out his agression fairly often. It wasn't psychotic agression, but still, he wasn't TOO perfect, TOO nice, or TOO innocent by any means, in my opinion.

I agree.

He wasn't TOO nice, because he did show a lot of anger and violence, but not ENOUGH to point the finger at him being a violent person capable of murder. Weddings can be hectic, and if things aren't going right, you're going to get pissed. He wants this day to be perfect for him, perfect for Trish, perfect for Mr. Wellington (who already doesn't have a good feeling about Henry) so if things are going wrong, it's completely justifiable to be angry. With dead deer showing up everywhere, and people going missing (then finding out they were killed) his anger was believable even if sometimes seen as excessive.

So I think his character was written really well. He wasn't the guy that was too nice to be above suspicion, but he wasn't the guy that was outwardly violent for no reason to be an obvious suspect. He also took the lead a lot in searching for people or a plan to go somewhere safe, so you could look at that as him feeling responsible for bringing everyone there and caring about their safety, or you could look at that as him leading them into a trap. But there's still enough vagueness in his motives where even if you suspect him, you can't be sure that's why he's doing it.

Even with things like Hunter's death, where some people claim they knew it was Henry because he was one of the few people that knew Hunter was even there, and Mr. Wellington was killed shortly after. I immediately went to suspecting Mr. Wellington when Hunter was killed, and even after Mr. Wellington was killed, I didn't go back and think about that death and start thinking of Henry as a possibility. The way I saw Hunter's death was that it was a red herring death, and that Mr. Wellington had Hunter killed aside from the Wakefield-ish murders going on at the time. Mr. Wellington seems like the guy that gets what he wants, he brought Hunter to the island specifically to get Trish to change her mind, not only did he fail at his job, but he then decided to blackmail Mr. Wellington. Guys with that amount of power and money don't just let things go when people fail, they pay for results, and I thought he was the one that killed Hunter separate from the real killer on the island.

Maybe it's because I watched them all over the course of about 2 days, within 20 hours or so, so I didn't have much time to really think about suspects and think back on old episodes and evidence, who was where, who was with who, etc. Maybe if I watched it when it first aired and played along with the stuff on the website, I might have suspected Henry earlier and with more certainty. But I think I started to suspect Henry about 2-3 episodes before it was revealed.

I think the moment when I was 100% sure it was him, was just a little bit before it was actually revealed. When he decided to leave Trish in the house and go investigate by himself. Leaving her alone at that point in the show was the last straw that moved me from 99% sure it was him to 100% sure. At that point, everyone is staying in groups, Wakefield is already locked up as far as they know, there's no reason to separate.

Just finished watching it on Netflix.

I eliminated Henry early on, because I believed there was only one killer. I suspected a bunch of people on and off (and came up with theories), but I was focused on Jimmy or the Sheriff most of the time.

Once I realised that there was a team of killers I gravitated to Henry. After all it has to be the last person you would suspect right?

I really didn't expect anyone, for a second I thought it was Cal because of when he shoved his girlfriend underwater and then that one scene where Cal and Chloe are in bed and he lays down with kind of a creepy look on his face. I thought maybe Jimmy but figured that would not make sense because Abby's dad made Wakefield promise him that he would keep Jimmy alive, so obviously even though the Sheriff had stuff on Jimmy he still thought he was a good guy. I don't remember expecting Henry at all. In fact, since the tagline said "one killer" and Wakefield was revealed to us, I just assumed "well I guess its Wakefield" again and just kept watching for the storyline and kills. So I did not expect Henry at all. I never thought it was Abby, she just seemed too good and innocent. Sully was a possibility but ehh, not really. I also watched it on netflix instant, and since its summer and I am doing nothing I watched it over about three days so I didn't really have time to mull over the possible killers. I think when the series was on tv a lot of people started to MAYBE think Henry after JDs death, as the episode left off with him looking so guilty, but since I just went right on to the next one and they did not focus at all on Henry killing JD I just forgot about it.

I really didn't know either. I think they did a great job at keeping it quiet. I heard even the actor didn't know the killer was his character until after episode 8. For a long time I went back and forth. I never thought it was Jimmy. I think I may have suspected Abby for a while, but honestly I thought it must have been one of the characters who had already died a la And Then There Were None. This show reminded me a lot of that book/movie. More of the movie because of the ending.

"Love means never having to say you're sorry."
"That's the dumbest thing I ever heard."

I thought it was the Sheriff until a scene on the dock where - I think it was after the explosion - Henry smiled at a really inappropriate moment. I had thought he might be the killer just because of the un-likelihood of his being the killer (and not because I had noticed any evidence that would lead to that conclusion). After that, I vacillated between suspecting Henry and Jimmy until Henry killed Trish and settled all doubt. Mostly I was just peeved that Shea didn't die. She was annoying and sanctimonious. I feel guilty about that, even though she's a fictional character. Poor smug Shea - I dislike you so.

Things as they are
Are changed upon the blue guitar

Up until the last episode I swore up and down that it was Trish (with maybe an accomplice). I openly admitted I was wrong to all the fans of the show that I knew.

BTW None of them knew who it was either.

I actually suspected Henry for quite a while, along with Jimmy and the Sheriff. I'm not going to say that I "knew" it was him cause I didn't , and no one could possibly say they "knew" who the killer was until it was revealed. That's the way a murder mystery works! I suspected Henry at certain times, like :

1-when they found Hunters body on the boat, he had a weird look on his face and was not surprised or scared at all.

2-When Madison received the note luring her away. Earlier on in the series Henry slipped a note under a door for Trish, now the killer is slipping a note under the door. Big red flag for me.

3-The obvious one when JD died, hello, he's covered in blood!

But overall I knew it had to be someone who has worked with boats, tools , and ropes. So I kept thinking Jimmy, the sheriff, or Henry.

Early on I thought maybe it was going to take a supernatural turn and be Wakefields spirit in the little girl! lol But I tossed that out the window early on due to the fact that she physically was a little girl and no way could of had the strength to do most of the things the killer did.

Great series, kept me guessing and second guessing myself!

My absolute honest to God instinct from the first episode was "How are they going to explain it when Wakefield comes back?" I didn't suspect anyone in the listed cast!

I never considered Henry, mainly because I expected Wakefield to come back and didn't view it as a mystery. (Or, mainly because I am dumb hard to say.)

I watched while it was airing, and basically all summer in between episodes I was trying to figure out who it could be (along with other people on teh internetz).

I knew that there had to be 2 killers (unless it was Booth) because everyone had an alibi for at least one of the deaths, but by the end of episode 8 I was pretty much set on Henry. JD's death was so suspicious, plus he was out alone in the woods just when Cole Harkin was killedhmmm Then in Seep, the whole Wakefield has a son thing was super suspicious.

So yeah, I knew. The reveal was still insanely awesome and chilling.

I just finished the series on Netflix..at about the 7 or 8 episode mark, I started to assume Henry. First, I just assumed it was Wakefield. But there were moments where Henry just had this look on his face were he just looked guilty. Still, right up until Trish was killed did I hope I was wrong.

The only thing I knew for sure was that Wakefield was still alive. I wasn't even sure if anyone of the wedding party was involved but the only one I ever suspected was Cal.

Just did a two day marathon from streaming on Netlix. I remember seeing promos for this show when it first came out, but never watched it.

I'll admit I didn't "know" it was Henry, but I did suspect him. So when he turned out to be the killer, I wasn't completely caught off guard. I really didn't want it to be him. I loved Henry. I'll never look at Auggie from Covert Affairs the same way again.

Why I suspected him . . .

It started when Trish and her father were walking in the woods and he said he didn't trust Henry. I felt like that line wasn't thrown in there for no reason.

Then, when J.D. died, Henry had blood all over him, but I wondered how since it appeared that Abby got to J.D. before Henry did.

Then when he was asked about how he got the scratches on his arm, he said he couldn't remember. That didn't sit right with me.

Lastly, he was the person seen originally holding the clippers that killed Trish's step-mom.

I felt like they were pointing at Jimmy too hard. If it was really him, they wouldn't have made it so obvious.

Lastly . . . and this was a point brought out by my husband . . . if the killer is her brother, it didn't seem it would be someone she kissed or was romantically involved with. So, there goes Jimmy. Of course, they could have gone that way, but it would have added a whole new ick factor to the show.

She shared a solid, plutonic relationship with Henry, which made for another reason to think he could be her brother. Their bond certainly seemed like a sibling one.

Post deleted

I'm not usually one to guess who the killer is until a really suspicious scene takes place. Like when JD was about to tell Abby who killed him, but bit his tongue when he saw Henry approaching her from behind. For me, that was the climax. But then the episodes go on with Henry still being portrayed as the hero, so I figured it was just to mislead us.

From then on, I suspected Sully, just 'cos it would really feel like a shocker if he turned out to be the killer. I even suspected him to be Wakefield's son.

He did didn't he? I never even thought about that. Good detail to point out.

I was about 90% sure it was Henry after JD's death. I just didn't buy that he just "found" him like that
Never thought it was Jimmy, thoughI assumed (and correctly so, I guess) that he was just the red herring

Technically, I suppose, I guessed him, because I suspected everybody hahah. Even that random janitor when Shea was looking for Madison.

From episode one I thought it was Jimmy and I was so set on that. Then when they actually started to point the finger at him I was like, great I'm wrong. They never point the finger at who is actually guilty. Then I thought it was Sully and I was so set on that. When it was Henry I was 100% surprised. Hahaha I'll admit that!

I never thought it was Henry.

I was thinking Jimmy towards the end. But for most of the time I was thinking it was John Wakefeild and Sully was kind of off even though he was one of my favorite characters. I thought it was possible

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sith3revenge?feature=mhee

Post deleted

I didn't know but I suspected Henry because 9 times out of 10, the killer is always the hottest guy. Jimmy made the most sense to me in terms of the plot, until they started suspecting him and I figured it must be Henry.

Da der der da, a der der da, a der der da

I had no idea! At some point I thought it could be Jimmy but otherwise I didn't even try to figure out who it was, just enjoyed watching it :)

Jane: What I want is a little smile.
Lisbon: Well, you can't have everything.

Back when it originally aired, I thought it was either Cal, or maybe Abby. I didn't suspect Henry until quite a few of the characters were dead, because the actor usually played the "nice, goofy" roles in most of the stuff I had seen him in.

But the other two characters were played up to be so creepy and troubled, I was genuinely shocked when neither one turned out to be the killer. Also, they should ave wrtten more scenes for the creepy little girl. She gave me the willies, lol.

I love it when networks try out shows with this format.Reunion, Glory Days, HIAny time I catch wind of a show that combines a weekly mystery/suspense format with the slasher genre, the results are usually pretty interesting.

I had no idea who it was.

I watched it when it originally aired, so I don't remember all of my thoughts, however I'm pretty sure that Henry never even crossed my mind. In the last few episodes I remember being suspicious of Trish and Jimmy, but up until the reveal episode I'm pretty sure that I never felt that suspicious of Henry.

I do get a little annoyed with people who say 'I knew it was Henry after watching the first episode'. I find it hard to believe that they ignored all the red herrings and never became suspicious of anyone else. I'm not saying that everyone who said Henry is lying, but having certainty after just one or two episodes is completely unrealistic. You might be suspicious, but I doubt Henry was your only suspicion.

There a few times throughout the series that I thought that Henry was acting suspicious, but those moments were brief.
Totally didn't guess it was him though! I thought it was Jimmy or Sully.

love1.gif
Bean Girl: Jacki Beanstalker

I began to strongly suspect Henry once he had Abby answer the phone call in which Madison said they can't leave the island. But I was never 100% sure.

After the first few deaths I was certain there were 2 killers on the island and other than Henry I suspected Jimmy and Madison's mom (forget the name).

I thought it was Richard until he died, then I had no idea. When JD turned up dying, and Henry was standing there covered in blood, I knew from that point on it was Henry.

Knew it was Henry, since Tom's death (Trish's father).

just before the church scene, when he and trish had the accident in the forest, and were hiding from the dog, he told Trish that he doesn't trust henry, that it's his instinct.

Knew the writers had written it for only one reason

The idea "Would/could it be Henry all along" did cross my mind pretty early, usually when watching something that you know there's gonna be a twist I tend to overwork my brain and think of every possible turnout while watching. So yes Henry did came up in my mind but I discarded the idea soon after and long before the final ep so the twist pretty much got me.

Most of the red herrings were a bit too obvious, mainly because you know they wouldn't reveal the killer so soon, but I did believe Jimmy was the killer.

On a sidenote, I liked how Harper's Island went against the clich. Characters who seemed like obvious goners stuck around for much longer then expected: the blond bimbo( chloe), the jock (sully), the stuck up brit(cal) Even characters who had minor roles, katherine, beth, danny stuck around. While important ones, trish's dad, JD, died rather soon. Because of this you never knew which ones were gonna die next( unlike the average slasher). Great show!

I didn't know it was Henry until JD died.

When he popped up behind Abby covered in blood, and didn't take a step toward his brotherI figured it was him and started looking for more clues to prove myself right. lol

I was just surprised by his "motive". Like, really?

Post deleted

I believed it was Henry when J.D was found dead, then for I while I thought it could be Abby. But in a murder mystery I dont think you can ever be sure, sometimes it feels like the writers just pick a random character and make him/her the culprit with a silly explanation. But I think Harpers Island did it well.

just finished the show on DVD for the first time - I avoided this site whilst I watched it and even though Henry was on my list (of about 6!) it was stil a shock when it happened as you kept moving onto another person. I did think Shea was a possibility as she did "fade" into the background a fair bit. I never suspected SHane of JD they were obvious red herrings.

I did think about Trish at one point but when Wakefield was revealed to be alive it and he had another kid it was more obvious it was either Henry or Jimmy.
Really enjoyed the show though. I wish they would do another storyline set on another location and new characters.
DIscuss all your favourite TV shows and films at:
http://fandomforums.com/forums/index.php

Just watched it on Netflix. I was sure it was Henry when he showed up bloody behind Abby when JD died. But then it didn't seem to make sense. When none of the characters brought it up, I discarded the idea as stupid. lol.

I had no clue after that, right up until the reveal. Nobody seemed to have a motive. I still don't really buy Henry's motive. But then what motive would make sense for killing all your friends and family, anyway?

Henry was the first one I suspected lol. But that suspicion did not last long.

I thought it was Jimmy then I thought it was the blond guy

Well of course no one actually knows until it's finished. Hell, often a good writer won't fully known until the story starts to unfold and changes directions ;)

I suspected several people. I suspected Henry when JD was killed because of the way he was looking at him. Until then I had only a passing fancy that he could be it because the idea was marvel, but then dismissed it. Once re-suspected, I began to eliminate my other choices systematically.

Basic deductions for a series like this is that it's either the most obvious choice or the least obvious choice. So I assumed both: Wakefield since that was most obvious, and Henry since he seemed to suffer the most losses thereby making him the least obvious. Then everything was deliberately set up to draw attention to others.

Once Wakefield revealed himself to Abby and the Sheriff revealed he was her father and not Wakefield, I was 100% looking at only Henry. She was the key and though Jimmy was set up to take our suspicions, I knew Henry knew her longer making him the one to reveal the most secrets to her past.

Damn you Miss Marple! Twists are always lost on me :(

Just finished watching on Netflix and had no spoilers given to me. It was very well played and they definitely got me. Going through it in the early episodes, I knew it had to be someone major or it would be someone hidden in the background that you would forget about. The obvious red herrings were there in the bride's father, Shane, the Sheriff, J.D. and Richard. And the bridesmaids and groomsmen were clearly there for victims.

Early guesses: (Figuring they would use a woman)
Katherine - playing the S&M game for real
Nikki - good candidate as she was a background character that disappeared for long periods.

Mid to Late guess:
Jimmy - Began to suspect him about Ep5 and never believed he was dead and was looking for someone who might have been killed off and then reappear when needed. Everything seemed to point to him.

Late guess:
After they started to throw too much suspicion on Jimmy, I thought it could be Abby. Did not expect Henry.

i didnt, because i thought it would be away too obvious, i was surprised but pretty disappointed

From the get-go I knew it was Henry. They just tried too hard to make him appear innocent, but they did do a decent job at times to try and make me believe it was someone else.