Poldark : S02E10 Previews

S02E10 Previews

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04dqjqz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7hKuxhbj4A

-Seeking perfection in life is dangerous because it makes the less perfect less than enough-VPBlamey

Re: S02E10 Previews

Thats the clip they showed after the episode finished last night.

So now he is abandoning Demelza to go to war ... what a husband 😒

In Oldark he was recalled to his regiment. He didn't abandon her.

He said he was thinking of reenlisting.

Could they just call you up again? I thought it was voluntary and many bought a commission?

I just watched episode 10 of Season 2 and this time it looks like Ross and Demelza did reconcile, Ross did declare that Demelza is his one true love, that Elizabeth was just an abstraction, never a satisfying relationship for Ross. Also Ross came back to stop the riot and to stop the village people from burning down Elizabeth's home and lynching George. To me it looked like he also decided to stay home with his family, although I don't understand yet how he can do this after he re-enlisted and also signed the contract with the army (or navy--not sure which).

He did'nt sign you only saw him lift the pen from the paper'

Are they purposefully not showing any hint of reconciliations (R&D and/or C&D) to make it more poignant?
Oh DH, I pray you stuck with the book.

-Seeking perfection in life is dangerous because it makes the less perfect less than enough-VPBlamey

Demelza in the BBC clip still seems bitter, and even contemptuous. Obviously, we don't know how much time is supposed to have passed since the VBT, but after a while (a few months in the book) her worst feelings are softened, and Demelza and Ross reach what I call the cordial but loveless phase of their post-VBT relationship. She is not at his throat in every single conversation. Episode 9 was the Slough of Despond; shouldn't Episode 10 show the beginning of a detente? Also, the contempt directed at Ross seems off-target for Demelza's personality. Righteous anger when called for, sorrow, despair, and even some well-timed sarcasm, yes, but not outright contempt.

the contempt directed at Ross seems off-target for Demelza's personality

I agree.
I'm hoping they'll make up halfway through the episode, after Demelza is insulted (assaulted?) by Warleggan's groundskeeper. And that the cliffhanger will be something different (perhaps E's pregnancy.)

And that the cliffhanger will be something different (perhaps E's pregnancy.)

That's what I've predicted. Not sure how happy people are going to be if we have to wait until next season for Ross to get around to apologizing - thinking now that he won't!!

Plus going the way this adaptation is going might even have Ross going back to Elizabeth and everyone knowing about who the baby's dad is! If that happens I'm giving up ...

The thing is, Demelza does seem to soften a bit when she asks Ross to just be honest, with her, with himself. She even includes the other woman in that consideration. Because she knows Ross hasn't been honest with anyone. He's been tiptoeing around the issue. Oh, he's been honest about filling Demelza in on mine business - like she even cares about that at the moment - and telling her where he's been. But when she calls him on his lack of true honesty about the one thing, the only thing, that matters right now he blusters and side steps the hard question. And still no apology is forthcoming. THAT'S when she shuts down again and her contempt is evident...and well deserved IMO.

I love the way you put things in words, Joseph.

Episode 9 was the Slough of Despond; shouldn't Episode 10 show the beginning of a detente?

It should, and as far as I, and the majority of posts I've read on this subject - MUST!
The thing is, the Slough of Despond as you put it, was the culmination of the first 8 episodes of mostly a picture of the-end-of-marital-bliss. It's exhausting!

An excerpt from next week's Radio Times:

As we reach the final terrific e;pisode (hang around after the credits and POLDARK WILL RETURN FOR A LITTLE TASTER OF THE NEXT SERIES), it looks like Ross and Demelza are fractured forever. Though Ross is puzzled by his wife's fury at his faithlessness. "It was one night! How long will it take for you to forgive me?" Buckle up Ross, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

S02E10 Synopsis BBC1

Dwight enlists in the navy to forget Caroline, and Demelza visits Verity to spend some time apart from Ross. While Ross considers rejoining his regiment, Elizabeth and George settle into married life, but George's plans provoke the locals to riot.

"It was one night! How long will it take for you to forgive me?"

Maybe when you actually say, "I'm sorry", Ross. Just a thought.

That's the biggest bone of contention I've seen on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and Tumblr. People are waiting for him to apologize.

I hope the program doesn't have Ross saying, "It was one night! How long will it take for you to forgive me?" Book Ross at least understood that he had to apologize and actually ask for forgiveness before he could expect to receive it. Even Oldark, which generally handled the VBT aftermath maladroitly, showed Ross explicitly asking Demelza to forgive him.

No one has been more critical than I of Ross's post-VBT behavior in the novel, with his initial icy indifference to Demelza's feelings, his 6.5-month delay before apologizing to his wife, and the barbed comments he makes along the way (partially catalogued by me in a separate post). I admit, however, that Graham at least imposed a plausible structure on the slow movement of the couple's relationship:

1. Freeze -- Demelza furious and desolate; Ross aloof and confused. The future is unentirely certain: Will Ross decamp to Trenwith? Will Demelza abscond with Jeremy to preserve her dignity?

2. Thaw -- Demelza's anger eases, and Ross's "Warleggan with Elizabeth!" psychosis abates. Conversations about household matters, the mine, and friends can be conducted amicably. Cordial but loveless: intimacy and tenderness are absent, but D and R are functional as cohabitants of Nampara. For different reasons, both of them wish to avoid discussing the VBT directly.

3. Warming -- The actual reconciliation at Christmas. Partly bungled by Ross, and almost disastrously counterproductive, but in the end, apparently effective. I say "apparently" because that's where Warleggan ends. It's not until The Black Moon, which leaps forward halfway into 1794, that we learn whether the reconciliation has truly succeeded.

If the current program depicts Demelza as trapped in a perpetual "I hate you, Ross" loop, and Ross as blithely unconcerned about offering a serious, heartfelt apology, then any progress will be impossible, or at least implausible.

2. Thaw -- Demelza's anger eases, and Ross's "Warleggan with Elizabeth!" psychosis abates. Conversations about household matters, the mine, and friends can be conducted amicably. Cordial but loveless: intimacy and tenderness are absent, but D and R are functional as cohabitants of Nampara. For different reasons, both of them wish to avoid discussing the VBT directly.

I will be content if even this is achieved in the season finale.

When Ross arrived from London after his and Demelza's joint effort to bring Dwight and Caroline back together, he kisses her ('-it was just a formal salute between them'). It had gone beyond 'thaw' at this stage for Demelza to allow Ross to kiss her, and I imagine not just this once, but in his comings and goings as they did in S01, even just out of force of habit.

Really pressed for time now, but who knows, DH might still surprise and indeed give us the Warleggan ending most of us want just as she did with the VBT.

It would seem from the previews that DH has gone completely off the rails with regard to any attempt to stay true to the book for this last episode. This would take the trend she was on for Ep 9 to the next level. I am totally sick to death of her meddling with the character of the Ross of the books this season. I have really disliked much of this season due to it, and am incredibly disappointed with much of this season's adaptation.

I couldn't agree more. In the first season my gripe was the characterisation of Elizabeth and Francis, now it is of Ross and Demelza. Don't know if I will continue watching.

Also, the contempt directed at Ross seems off-target for Demelza's personality. Righteous anger when called for, sorrow, despair, and even some well-timed sarcasm, yes, but not outright contempt

By the episode 10, especially with the speed of time in the modern Poldark adaptation, I would expect less bitterness and contempt. Like you said, hurt, anger, sorrow, despair is in keeping with Demelza's fundamental nature, contempt is not.

Obviously, we don't know how much time is supposed to have passed since the VBT, but after a while (a few months in the book) her worst feelings are softened, and Demelza and Ross reach what I call the cordial but loveless phase of their post-VBT relationship. She is not at his throat in every single conversation

Exactly! I suspect this is an interjection of modern feminist viewpoint. A lot of the comments I have seen seem to state that 1) Ross is irredeemable, 2) Demelza can do no wrong, 3) Ross needs to suffer at Demelza's hand/tongue for a very long time, if not forever, and 4)Revenge s** is perfectly acceptable if not desirable.

I am still hoping for the beer scene as the trailers are skillfully edited and can be somewhat deceiving so maybe it will be included in the adaptation.

If someone has nothing but contempt for their partner and it does seem that Demelza is more bitter and contemptuous than anything else, will a sincere apology suffice to regain a forgiving (not forget) loving relationship. And would the wronged party even want too? It seems as most viewers want Ross to beg, grovel, and state in no uncertain terms a sincere and thorough apology. That kind of apology is not in Ross' nature, neither is begging or groveling. I do think Ross feels remorse, guilt, confusion etc on how his night of unguarded passion has affected Demelza. But he does not have the emotional intelligence or interpersonal skillage to self analyze his own feelings or to know how to make amends to his wife or to Elizbeth. Elizabeth, he avoids and with Demelza he is awkward, misguided, and falls into offering bridges in comfort areas he can control i.e. benefit from mining. It takes him awhile to understand what he must do to move forward as a husband and not just a cohabitant and then it takes longer to figure out how to apologize as it is a new behavior and skill for him.

If someone has nothing but contempt for their partner and it does seem that Demelza is more bitter and contemptuous than anything else, will a sincere apology suffice to regain a forgiving (not forget) loving relationship. And would the wronged party even want too?

That's the crux of it. Long ago, I wrote here about how one of the tricky aspects of dramatizing the VBT is clearly showing the vileness and devastating impacts of the deed, yet also conveying, after a while, that Ross's love is still worth having. Without satisfying that condition, there can be no worthwhile reconciliation, and certainly no continuing story involving these characters -- or at least not the story told by the novels.

Having Demelza spit out a withering line like, "What it is to be married to such a great man!" indicates that Horsfield may be having trouble bringing Ross back from the moral depths to which she has consigned him. A Demelza who is now convinced that Ross is nothing but a dishonest, pathetic twerp with delusions of grandeur is not a Demelza who would want to reunite emotionally with him.

I agree, but what has Ross done so far to show Demelza that his love is still worth having? The onus should be on him to demonstrate that, not on Demelza for divining it out of the wind. So far, Ross hasn't tried to reassure Demelza that his love for her is still deep and true; he hasn't apologized because apparently the "he's just a stupid man" defense exempts him from engaging in such common courtesies. Or did I blink again and miss him telling her he loves her since the VBT happened? Oh wait, Demelza should just know that's how Ross still feels because he's still camping out at Nampara and she's a mind reader. Never mind that Ross isn't expected to likewise read Demelza's mind and know that she's craving words of apology and reassurance, especially after he basically told her on the beach that the E/G wedding is likely still going forward so apparently his option to pursue E is being taken out of his hands. Being the default option is a fulfilling thing, Demelza, so despite the fact that your husband has said and done nothing to alter your belief that this is the case, you should be thankful and make every attempt to put him at ease. Oh, and stop hurting his precious feelings, which are worth so much more than yours. Good grief. Have I stepped into bizarro land?

And I disagree that every encounter with Demelza has been laced with anger, though I agree that most have been. She's pretty civil here, where she seems more sad and resigned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5_BTxEN08

That's her being patient while Ross let's things play out.

All Demelza wants is some honesty from Ross, even if it's not in her favor.

"I don't know why you're still here, Ross!"

So far, she hasn't gotten it. Ross claims he's being honest in the clip and he's right...up to a point. He's been honest about the mine business and that he wants another woman enough to risk his marriage. But what in that speaks to Demelza herself? How can Demelza determine whether or not Ross' love is still worth having when she's not even sure he's offering it (as opposed to, "well, let's just continue cohabitating because my plans with the other woman aren't working out given that's she's marrying the other guy")?

I certainly agree that Ross's blockheaded failure to apologize is the flipside obstacle to Demelza's static bitterness; either or both will prevent any reconciliation. See my post further up in this thread. However, Demelza's derisively mocking Ross's community ambitions and his professions (mining, soldiering) is something we haven't seen before from her, even in episode 9. Not caring about the latest news from Wheal Grace while her heart is broken is a perfectly normal response from her. Accusing him of being a cruel bastard is normal. But heaping scorn on even the nontransgressive, nonadulterous parts of Ross's life doesn't seem like Demelza to me.

My reading on it is that Demelza is mocking Ross' stated motivation for rejoining the military - "I'm a soldier and if my regiment requires it of me...". Demelza seems to believe that Ross' true motivation stems more from a desire to go and hide from having to deal with his marital troubles. In that I'm not sure she's entirely wrong. She's basically throwing up her hands and saying, "You don't want to have an honest conversation? Fine. Go off and play the noble hero to everyone else." It's pure frustration IMO.

I agree with you on this one. Even if he is a soldier and had some kind of an obligation; he still has a choice to go and fight or stay and organize the men in Cornwall. I wouldn't fault her for thinking that the option of going to war (especially when the marriage is going through so much stress) is really an option to leave the troubles of the marriage behind and abandon his family.

Except that Demelza also mocks the alternative of remaining at Nampara: "... or stay home and save all of Cornwall. What it is to be married to such a great man!" Ross appears to have gone from husband (love) to cheating husband (anger, sorrow) to buffoon (contempt). Book Demelza never buffoonized him! If those are now her true feelings -- I realize we are judging from a tiny clip -- there shouldn't be a real reconciliation.

Quoting a youtube comment on this preview clip (emphasis mine):

Linda Vellucci 1 day ago
He wants to "save the world" and be a hero, but he doesn't put in that kind of effort with his own home. Out in the world, he obtains adulation, at home, he gets contempt because of his own selfish behavior.

Now, I don't agree that Ross cares about being seen as a hero but I do agree that Demelza might see it as Ross being willing to give 100% for other people but not being willing to do the same hard work at home.

Now all that said, I don't really doubt that whenever Ross finally gets around to actually apologizing for the grievous and permanent wounds he's inflicted on his wife, that Aidan will make it sound sincere. He's got the acting chops to do it.

I do agree that Demelza might see it as Ross being willing to give 100% for other people but not being willing to do the same hard work at home

In Oldark, when Ross is heading back to France to try to rescue Dwight, Demelza is pregnant with Clowance and she says he has money now so he could pay someone else to go, but he says he's committed to going, he doesn't want to go, but he's promised Caroline. She then says, very exasperated, that he'll do anything for anyone else, but never what she asks.

What if we ignore Oldark, the books, and the director of this series in order to focus on the evidence in from of us with our Poldark family as we get them in 2016?

Since this is our window on Ross and Demelza as they are this week, regardless of what is happening in the episodes ahead of us or behind us, the people on the episode we are watching are the only ones providing evidence with their words and actions. What I see and witness are two people who are desperately afraid of telling each other their bottom line. It is too intensely scary because the other person may not care.

I believe that it would take Ross dying for Demelza to stop loving him, yet she finds it impossible to end her defense because of the pain he has caused her. This is why she has never told him the truth that he has broken her heart, her faith in him has been severely damaged, and that she believes he no longer wants her.

I believe that Ross has so many emotions woven and melded together in his heart and stomach that are impossible to untangle. He loves Demelza to his distraction and believes in her to a place that is incomprehensible for her to turn away from him forever, yet he has a genuine lack of understanding of how simple words cold change their situation and their future. He apparently has no ability to translate the feelings he has inside to address what he is seeing of his wife slipping away from him, yet he senses that if she leaves him emotionally it will be a death of what he values the most in his life.

For me, the saddest words so far are ones from posts on this board of a scene from Episode Nine, which we have not gotten yet in the US. When he is burning with excitement and she accepts it as wonderful news for him, he looks devastated in realizing how far away she is to him.

It helps me in pinning down these characters to here and now without the clammer of the past and the misguidance of the present creators lurking above them. All I am seeing are the two people who love and need each other, yet who do not have each other's language. No one is there to help them share what their basic fears are, which clearly shouts of emotional abandonment even if their bodies were to remain in a legal agreement with the other.

Fear is the killer of love, desire, commitment, and most blessings we experience in life. It is the opposite of love and when it dominates us, our ability to act in a positive manner is silence and paralyzed.

Their feelings are so muddled that they automatically and unconsciously focus on their anger since it is a simpler, safer, more actionable feeling than dealing with fear. Isn't it bizarre how saying "I am angry" offers us a sense of security in a conflict while how telling another, especially a beloved, "I am afraid" when the fear of losing that beloved is destroying us?

Well, I am speaking from my own experience with the one person whom I loved in this same way. So, I felt safer with acting in similar ways to Demelza script and lost everything. I could not get the words about my fear into the open. Now, it is ancient history, yet at the time it was living with well-lit coals of fire. The loving does not end and the person has been forced out because anger provided its own powerful walls.

The intense feelings of loss with the relationship cooled long ago. The love and appreciation of the man I loved remained and gratitude for having shared time in his life remained. Watching Poldark again certainly engages me in enjoying the circle of life.

A Checkered Life speaks of myriad diverse adventures being the rewards of endless curiosity.

This is why she has never told him the truth that he has broken her heart, her faith in him has been severely damaged, and that she believes he no longer wants her.

Demelza told Ross all three of those things in episode 9: points two and three explicitly, and point one clearly enough for any husband truly paying attention.

Agreed. Ross may not be the most emotionally sophisticated man around but he'd have to be brain dead in order to not get the message when Demelza has been clear about what her perceptions of the situation are. That or he's a sociopath who is just so disconnected from the realm of human feelings that he doesn't care - and I don't think that's the case. Ross was pretty good at expressing his emotions and feelings to Demelza in the first season (the whole "you have redeemed me" speech) so it's very hard for me to believe that he is so unequal to the task now. Even if he's confused about what he wants, or even if he's decided he wants Elizabeth, that doesn't preclude him from apologizing for hurting Demelza.

Someone theorized on another forum that perhaps the reason Ross hasn't apologized yet is because he doesn't think he did anything wrong...which raised a whole other level of ire amongst the posters. I don't buy into that theory myself. I believe Ross knows he did something wrong. What I'm not sure of is, is he more sorry he did the thing or that he got caught and now he's having to deal with a difficult Demelza?

Just say the words, Ross!!! You'll make us all believe you!

Ross was pretty good at expressing his emotions and feelings to Demelza in the first season (the whole "you have redeemed me" speech) so it's very hard for me to believe that he is so unequal to the task now.

Yes, I agree that the "Ross is emotionally inarticulate" excuse has been greatly exaggerated. That may be true of the Ross of Oldark, who never even bothers to say "I love you" to Demelza until after Julia dies. But it's not really true of the Ross of the novels, who tells Demelza that he loves her and is her servant as soon as the feeling first comes upon him (the night of the pilchards in Ross Poldark), and gives Demelza a very nice little speech about his commitment to her (even if he fudges on the Elizabeth question a bit) right before Julia's birth (beginning of Demelza). It's also not true of the Ross of this adaptation; as you point out, his declaration at the end of S1, ep. 4 is quite heartfelt and dramatic, as are the "I'm already a better man because of you" (S1, ep. 5) and "No, my love, she will never take me" (S1, ep. 8) pledges. All those statements from Ross are exactly what Demelza wanted and needed to hear at the time. Yet he doesn't know how to express remorse after betraying her in the worst way? Not plausible in terms of his character.

All those statements from Ross are exactly what Demelza wanted and needed to hear at the time. Yet he doesn't know how to express remorse after betraying her in the worst way? Not plausible in terms of his character.

I think this is what made me mad, even more so than the VBT itself. That was bad enough but if an apology had been forthcoming in #9 it would have taken the sharpest edges off for me. That he didn't manage it by the end of the episode doesn't mesh with the Ross we've known since the start of the season 1.

I wonder if they'll publish the scripts for this season like they did for the first. I'd appreciate the insight into Ross' emotional and mental state in these episodes.

That he didn't manage it by the end of the episode doesn't mesh with the Ross we've known since the start of the season 1.

Your diagnosis is accurate. The etiology is a flaw in the source material. I must return to my "two Rosses" critique of the novels. Graham tried to cram two separate novel-worthy storylines into a single saga, generating internal contradictions. The Ross who marries Demelza and loves her, and who fights the good fight against all manner of Cornish injustices, absolutely would have apologized sincerely and quickly. But actually, that Ross wouldn't have perpetrated the VBT in the first place. The VBT is the work of "Stalker Ross," a case study in obsession whose fixation on a woman who rejected him drags down himself and everyone around him.

Stalker Ross was almost entirely absent from S.1 after episode 2. But he's returned with a vengeance in Series 2.

It's a puzzle.

Stalker Ross... . Yeah, nothing attractive about that.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I hope they don't turn Ross into a Don Draperesque character here, which Oldark did to an extent. His wife hates him for cheating on her; his mistress hates him for quitting her. Solution: Run away! Book Ross was a coward for not settling with Elizabeth and not facing up to his offense against Demelza far sooner, but he never contemplated running away and hiding. As I mentioned in another post, the army received only the briefest of mentions as an option for Ross, and then only if Wheal Grace didn't pay off, which it did.

Like you say,it's just a little clip. It may be that Ross has no intention of leaving. His face when he walks in saying "it makes me wonder if I should go" looks to me like he's wanting to see if Demelza will ask him not to go. The man may just be fishing.

A ll Demelza wants is some honesty from Ross, even if it's not in her favor.

"I don't know why you're still here, Ross!"

So far, she hasn't gotten it. Ross claims he's being honest in the clip and he's right...up to a point. He's been honest about the mine business and that he wants another woman enough to risk his marriage. But what in that speaks to Demelza herself? How can Demelza determine whether or not Ross' love is still worth having when she's not even sure he's offering it

That's my perception in a nutshell. Thanks for articulating it so well.

By the episode 10, especially with the speed of time in the modern Poldark adaptation, I would expect less bitterness and contempt. Like you said, hurt, anger, sorrow, despair is in keeping with Demelza's fundamental nature, contempt is not.

This is what makes me fear that the gradual book reconciliation (as so well chronicled by Joseph), may not happen, as it has become incompatible with series Demelza's book nature/character.

Why would she change the main storyline?? she know's she would be lynched, she's just agreviating it to make it more thrilling when it does happen

Maybe not change, but delay, which if she did would upset a lot of viewers. Myself - I'm exhausted from this rollercoaster ride.
We only have these teaser articles and previews to base our speculations on and not the whole of episode 10 itself, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't think it's fair to say that. Demelza is very much entitled to her stance while he continues to make outrageously offensive statements about the affair. I'm thinking that a big chunk of the audience thinks in the same way. I suspect that she will only soften once he takes responsibility and gives her a heartfelt apology. Unfortunately I am very doubtful that he has the insight and emotional maturity to do so.

I don't think it's fair to say that. Demelza is very much entitled to her stance while he continues to make outrageously offensive statements about the affair. I'm thinking that a big chunk of the audience thinks in the same way.I suspect that she will only soften once he takes responsibility and gives her a heartfelt apology.

Agreed. My only question is when? I want it to happen in the last episode and I think a big chunk of the audience would too, but the RT spoiler, preview clips and pictures of E10 don't seem to indicate that. That said, to put it in perspective, those clips total a whopping 1 min 33 secs of a 57-58 min full episode, so I might just be fretting about nothing.

Maybe I should join the maybe-it's-a dream-sequence crowd. 😉

Lots of pics from ep 10, too. Très Spoilerish.
http://tinyurl.com/horrxbh

Torches and pitchforks. Demelza is there too?
George and his henchmen pointing pistols at Ross. I assume that's Sid Rowse with the gun?
Ross with a bloody nose.
Lots of Ross in his regimentals.

Man, this looks terrible. Oldark redux, as I worried. Determined to smash all Elizabeth's vases in revenge, Captain Poldark -- that is, Captain Demelza Poldark -- orders Sergeant Paynter and his unit to commence the assault!

Maybe it's just a dream sequence. :)

Man, this looks terrible. Oldark redux, as I worried.

My thoughts exactly.

Lots of Ross in his regimentals.

Wow! Do you think this might be the cliffhanger ending? Ross going off to join the army? But why would he do so now that Grace is profitable and he also has a stake in the shipbuilding business?

I'm not clear on how much time has passed since the VBT on the show. I know it's a month to the Warleggan wedding but other than that I'm just not sure. From a purely visual standpoint, it feels like it's only been a couple of days since the VBT. I know that's not the case but that's what it feels like.

It was at least a few days -- maybe a week -- from the VBT to Elizabeth's letter to George asking to postpone the wedding. Then it was a month to the wedding itself, followed by the honeymoon in London. I would guess they spent at least two weeks there (otherwise, it's hardly worth making the long trip). So, adding in travel time as well, probably at least two months are supposed to have elapsed between the VBT and the end of episode 9. As for episode 10, who knows?

Surely she will know she is pregnant in episode 10 then, she may have been able to tell at the time of the wedding