The Intern : That Bed Scene should have been cut out. what was Nancy thinking??

That Bed Scene should have been cut out. what was Nancy thinking??

That scene was subtle, but there was definitely some weird vibe in that scene.

firstly, they were both wearing gown. this is what I don't get.

I know why they were wearing just gowns, but it felt kind of forced.

alarm rings at that point? convenient...

and Jules definitely looked seductive when she invited Ben in.

actually, she was forcing Ben to come in.

secondly, Jules said she would sit on the chair and lied on bed instead.

what was that about?

and they both were not wearing socks. (showing barefoot is not something you would do in front of other people unless you feel comfortable with them. I mean, some people get turned on by feet)

thirdly, Jules was vulnerable at the time after she had found out about matt's affair.

okay okay.

I get why they had to have private and intimate conversation, but it could have easily done with there clothes on. Jules could have simply invited Ben to come over and have conversation at a sofa or on the floor.

it looked like Jules hoped Ben to make advance to her.

kind of like "I will not do it so you will"

the reason why this scene made us feel so uncomfortable is this.

audiences didn't want their sweet grandfather-grand daughter relationship to end.

that would make this whole film's point very very weird.

so. I ask again. what was going on Nancy's head????

Re: That Bed Scene should have been cut out. what was Nancy thinking??

No. He was like a father to her. She really wanted to curl up next to him and put her head on his shoulder and have him say, "it will be ok." Having him say, "you can be buried with me and my wife" was almost as intimate and as much an indicator of their family relationship. It also didn't infantile her.

I completely agree with horsenbuggy's comments. There was tension in the scene because he had been waiting to tell her about her husband's affair and Jules wanted to talk about it, each wondering if it was too intimate of a topic for them to discuss.

I did not get the feeling that there was any sexual tension, whatsoever.

You lost me at "showing barefoot is not something you would do in front of other people unless you feel comfortable with them. I mean, some people get turned on by feet"...
I couldn't give a rat's ass if I happened to show my bare feet to a foot fetischist, there are people that are turned on by noses, chins, legs and hair. Perhaps the most decent thing would be to just cover the entire body in a big paper bag, so as not to turn anyone on, unless they happen to be paper bag fetischists (there are people that feel sexual attraction towards inanimate objects such as builtings and bridges, so someone feeling the need to hump a paper bag wouldn't be all that surprising).

I'm guessing your point is that people who are friends (especially if those are mixed gender people) should not be in bed together. Even if they are both covered up...laying on top of the covers...on separated sides...just talking.
Because that - to you - is suggestive.
You know what, that says so much more about you, than it does about the characters in the movie.

I was like what country/religion are they from? I can't stand socks for the most part. Though I wear them when I'm at others if I stay over cause of some wierd things happen when I was younger (stepping on stuff in the dark). But if I'm at friends or family they are off half the time (or I have flip flops on). I wear boots so much for work I want my feet free. Don't even look at other folks feet like that....I take it the OG prob has a foot fetish lol

It makes you wonder how they handle going to the beach or a swimming pool.

More importantly what is going on in your head.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Same

It was very heavily implied that she and Robert Deniro did have sex on the trip and thats why she was able to forgive her husband.

Wha.... ?

Uh, no it wasn't.

The scene was non-sexual and a beautiful friendship and yes father-daughter type relationship.

Her getting into bed and not the chair was trust. His staying there too was trust. Neither of these characters wanted to have sex with the other, just be there for them.

Trust and emotional connection. Definitely.

Funny how people project themselves into scenes.
I saw the film, twice, and the scene has nothing wrong with it. It was daring and well done.
(and I consider it a bit of a nod to "Lost in translation"... but that's a different discussion).

I have to admit the bed scene left me a little uncomfortable. I kept thinking. . ."oh no, pleeeeeeeease don't let anything happen." Thankfully it didn't.

Yeah, me too, exactly. I thought, "Oh, no, please don't go there. Pleeease." After a couple of minutes, though, it seemed okay.

I want the doctor to take your picture so I can look at you from inside as well.

I would agree with you that the scene felt awkward. I am certain that there was no real or implied sexual tension (which I will explain momentarily), I thought that a number of factors (male-female, boss-intern, that one was an angry cuckold spouse, the age disparity, on a business trip to a romantic city, privacy of a luxury hotel room, in dressing gowns, reclining cozily on a bed, at night) might make that situation seem questionable to an outside observer regardless of how innocent it really was.

I saw that scene as a re-creation/tribute/reference to a similar and much better set-up situation with a young Scarlett Johanssen and an older Bill Murray in Lost in Translation, which in turn was inspired by a similar situation with Sophia Coppola and her father. The hotel fire alarm, the bathrobes, hanging around platonically on a hotel bed having deep conversation.

and they both were not wearing socks. (showing barefoot is not something you would do in front of other people unless you feel comfortable with them. I mean, some people get turned on by feet)

This is exactly why I wear socks when I go to the beach. It makes me uncomfortable to know that my feet may turn someone on. 😛

You should have died! You should've just laid down and died!

Who is Nancy?

Don't makes judgments about what makes sense in my culture and I will refrain from judging yours. Take your hangups somewhere else.

Yeah it was odd for those reasons you described, but then I was relieved to see that she was yearning for emotional, platonic intimacy so she could talk about her husband's affair. Being comfortable, lying on the bed, wearing robes, all contributed to that.

I agree.
Of all the times to sit together and have a one-on-one serious conversation, I could not understand why the two of them chose that awkward (robe wearing, after the alarm, in the gal's hotel room,on her bed) time!??

Regardless of any other potential angle mentioned ("she wanted Ben to make a move," bare feet, bathrobes, etc.), this scene is out of character for the role portrayed by Ben.

Any gentleman that is from his era, from a long term marriage (evem widowed), and has many clues of in depth gentlemanly training (e.g. Carries a handkerchief) would not enter another woman's hotel room, as it is inappropriate for him to do so. If you don't know this rule of proper gentlemanly behavior, you don't grasp the character and his motivations.

I actually consider this error by the writer/producer to be a "goof", as his entry into her hotel room is totally inconsistent with the character.

No, I am no moralizing here, or placing a value judgement, nor am I saying that there is any superiority to it. I am just opining on the integrity of the gentlemanly arts espoused by the character otherwise.

You seem to miss the point that when she invited him in he politely declined, but then she insisted that he come inside.

I assumed it was staged that way because the writer and director wanted to create some sexual tension. "Will they or won't they?"Especially since her husband had been cheating on her, she might have wanted a payback.
It wouldn't be out of character for Hollywood to have them start hugging, then kissing, then have sex. Hollywood loves to have old guys sweep girls off their feet. (I think it's a projection fantasy on the part of the middle aged almost always male writers and directors). I was glad that it didn't fall into that cliché and he instead just remained her "Dutch Uncle."
Earlier posters were right, it was a lot like the bed scene in Lost in Translation, the same kind of tension and resolution.

I haven't seen "lost in translation" yet. Gonna see it since you guys have mentioned it. Thanks!!

Given your "take away" from this scene, the better question is: What's going on in YOUR head??

Mostly love.

The love story with Rene Russo was put in for us NOT to have any romantic associations in any of the scenes with de Niro and Ann H. Their story was a different one - becoming very close friends regardless of gender. So this scene was "safe" - not gonna happen.

But jules looked very disappointed when she found renne at ben's house at the end. It was subtle, but she seemed to be surprised in a bad way to find ben?renne relationship.
Well. I am not saying that she was yearning for ben. All i am saying is that even though that wasn't director's intention, it did look that way.

Best scene in the movie. They did have clothes on, and they WERE comfortable enough with each other to be barefoot... There was nothing sexual about it; it was just informal. It didn't change their relationship. People can lie on a huge bed together without jumping on each other, and neither made a move to do so.

"Your mother puts license plates in your underwear? How do you sit?!"

You're nuts. There were no sexual undertones. She just felt comfortable with him there and didn't want to be alone.

I agree with you. It seemed inappropriate, I kept thinking "Oh god no, they're not going to have sex are they..."

The other scene that was pointless was the burglary scene. It was completely out of character; as a father figure I imagine he would have said, "we all make mistakes, just go talk to her and apologize". Rather than break into someone's house and try to access their laptop, with the backup option of destroying it...