House of the Dragon : Rewatching S1 before next week

Rewatching S1 before next week

Just done the first episode and it's infuriating to see Rhaenyra's heir naming ceremony. Damn those Hightowers 🤬

Re: Rewatching S1 before next week

I can catch up tomorrow with a rewatch….

Have you rewatched since it was first out? I only watched the one time. It's so good but so frustrating to know how she gets screwed over. It's funny how initial thoughts are:-

Daemon = bad
Viserys = bad (why you do that to your wife???)
Otto = damn schemer
Ser Criston Cole = *swoon*
Rhaenyra & Alicent += bffs 💞

I will do ep2 tomorrow.

Nope, surpringly enough. But I want to before s2 airs.

Ryan Cor as Lord Strong is a hottie.

My password is password

Otto's hot. Sorry. 😅😅😅 Haughty af suits him.

Rewatching S1 before next week
better you than me. i watched ep1 and went the distance and then promised never to watch anything more GoT related

then promised never to watch anything more GoT related

why tho? House of the Dragon, at this point, is up there with the best seasons of GoT. you're really missing out when you give yourself stupid promises like that. you are only sabotaging yourself with this

then when it will turn to **** you will bitch and moan. whats the point of watching something that will be **** in the end?

Y wots going on next week?

I think I’ll do the same! I only watched it one time through too and some stuff I forgot already

I was almost taking notes when the various houses were swearing allegiance at the heir ceremony so I could see who kept their word at the end of the season 😂

Well I'll be starting my rewatch this evening!

Just finished watching season one. I'm ambivalent about it so far and not even sure whether I want to see season two. Some great actors and superb acting but there's something a bit less than riveting about it, imo.

That’s how I felt. No way was it as good as GOT. I didn’t get the rave reviews either. I gave it some time and rewatched it. Now I can watch season 2. We already know who wins and how the HOD meets its demise eventually.

My password is password

Maybe that's the problem. We already know how it ends.

That may be part of the problem. It doesn’t hold up to the original. I did appreciate it more the second watch. I could pick it apart and have. Even though I am going to give season 2 a watch.

My password is password

Was that your first time watching or a rewatch?

That was my first time. Maybe I should give it another whirl?

I don't know, I mean if it hasn't left you wanting to watch s2 then that says quite a lot 😂 I really liked it but went in not knowing what to expect, having not read any of the books, and I thought it was up there with GOT.

I'm on episode 4 of my rewatch and not entirely sure where I sit with it. I love the intricate detail and references to the great and smaller houses (Dondarrion got a subtle mention too I again noticed), but it's a turgid watch. It has none of GOT's humour, it time jumps heavily which lacks narrative coherence and it's overly heavy on its reliance on Considine and Smith to carry it.

If GOT S1-4 was 9/10, this is probably 7/10 - just about.

Ballon d'Or winner 2025

On the second time jump now.

In its defence Ifans also stands out doing what he does.

Season 2 needs more though. I've no idea who's in it but if it was me I'd be going all out with Ben Mendelsohn, James Purefoy, Matthew Macfad whatever he's called and Ian McShane.

Ballon d'Or winner 2025

He usually does stand out. 🥰 But he was probably the most hunour to be had in HotD. His preposterous marriage idea alone had me howling. Then there are his micro facial expressions.

And by all accounts he was most fun on set.

I'm re -watching it now and I agree with your assessment. Turgid is the exact word to describe it. I also found the time jumps jarring and it took me a while to get used to the older versions of everyone. I know it's a drama but a little light relief occasionally actually makes the serious stuff hit harder.
I'll give season two a chance to hook me in, but season one failed to excite me.

Salient post.

It's almost similarly dry to Wolf Hall, which was stylistically excellent but dreary as hell

Ballon d'Or winner 2025

I hate the Hightowers and I hate Viserys too for what he did to his wife. That poor woman 😭

Same and same. Watching that birthing scene again was so awful 😭 At least Viserys does right by Rhaenyra eventually even though she does still get screwed over.

Every birthing scene is horrendous! 😱

At least Daemon didn't just sacrifice his wife like Viserys did ☹️

She chose her own way to die and went out like a hero.

Rather than what happened to Aemma which was beyond brutal sad5.gif I was actually tempted to skip that whole scene. After seeing it once, I felt no need to watch it again.

I agree!

He would have lost both anyway if he did nothing. Just turns out he should have chosen his wife…he chose the baby and lost both.

I know but he should have chosen his wife rather than have her held down and cut open like that. It was too awful 😞

C-sections in those days….killer.

😂

Started now. ☺️

LMAO at Otto's face when Alicent gets the favour to give Daemon at the tourney. 😅 He was not happy. His son just face planted too.

I forgot how brutal the tourney was.

I loved that! Daemon is so bad! And Criston Cole getting Rhaenyra's seeing as we know how that relationship ends up 😂

Where are you in the rewatch? All done?

No I have only watched the first two. I won’t binge, I’m going to watch one an evening to build up to the new season. Where are you up to?

Then I'm ahead of you. I have to finish before Wednesday!

You can do it! 💪

I'll finish this weekend for sure. Did 4 episodes last night.

Did you watch Under Paris yet?

Yes! It wasn't nearly as silly as I thought it was going to be. Enjoyed it!

It was high quality silly! When they first went to the catacombs where there were all the protesters and everyone was just pushing everyone else into the water 😂 And I loved the dumb girl getting eaten 😂

Same 😅😅😅 I did like that it was a new mutation of a mako, and not the usual great white.

And the crazy mayor getting her comeuppance 😂