Manchester by the Sea : Deserved a Best Editing Nomination

Deserved a Best Editing Nomination

The way it would go from Past to present was seamless

Plus I was never bored. It was well paced

Re: Deserved a Best Editing Nomination

Completely agree, the 2 hours and 17 minutes just flew by!

Seamless? I had no idea what the f( )ck was going on when Affleck was sitting with the lawyer and they kept going back and forth between the house fire and him sitting there. Was it a flashback? Was he imagining it? No idea.

Lol, the editing was among the worst aspects of this film. Absolutely no rhythm to it and full of random shots that could have just been cut all together. For example, we have a shot of the back of Lee's Jeep as they're leaving the funeral parlor. Then we get an unnatural cut to Lee's driver door shutting and then another unnatural cut to Patrick's passenger door shutting. There was no reason to cut away from the rear of the Jeep. There were plenty more editing mistakes like that throughout that completely took me out of the movie. They definitely needed a better editor and it makes complete sense that it didn't get a nomination in that department.

"There are too many of them. Can't kill the world."

Was edited by a chick named "Jennifer Lame," hahaha.

I too have to agree with you that the editing was a major let down to this almost flawless film. The cinematography is beautiful but I was completely taken away from that by the bad editing and not the best use of music. I understand the non linear timeline is hard to express clearly and they probably have tried really hard to edit it in the best way possible. Perhaps the best result was what was achieved. However, with the acting so strong it's hard to believe that they didn't have better footage to work with and should have enough coverage. If editing was better, the film would have got more Oscar noms and make it a stronger contender for best film.