Science : Geogravitic trivia

Geogravitic trivia

Ok. Time to see if there are any geniuses among us. If you are standing on a beach at the edge of the surf on a Californian shore line, why would the distance from you to the visible horizon be shorter that if you were on a small boat in the middle of the pacific?

Beware the sound of one hand clapping.

Re: Geogravitic trivia

the Earth is flat, you stupid faggot

My password is password

I believe that you would believe that /.

I believe that you would believe that I would believe that sigma

My password is password

Oh, it's not just me. I am fairly certain that most of the board would agree that /.'s are that dumb or dumber.

We're not all laughing with you, we're all laughing in your face, sigma.

My password is password

Because you are higher on the boat?

My password is password

Since you gave an actual answer I am going to assume that you are a different /. user from the jackass I dealt with above.

Actually the answer is that you are lower in the boat. Some 50ft lower. The reality is related to something called the Geoid. Fact is that since everything with mass exerts a gravitic force landmasses pull water towards them. This is why there is actually no such thing as 'sea level'.

psych! the Earth is flat, you stupid idiot

My password is password

But wouldn't the horizon be further away on land if you are elevated compared to the middle of the ocean? If you were on a mountain for instance you would be able to see further than if you were at sea level.

My password is password

👆

My password is password

no

/.

Actually yes. The higher you are the further you can see. This isn't rocket science.

My password is password

And the lower you are…

If you are lower in your boat, which you claim in the geoid post above, then you would see less distance to the horizon, which is the opposite of what you claimed in the original post.

why would the distance from you to the visible horizon be shorter that if you were on a small boat in the middle of the pacific?

You got confused somewhere.

My password is password

The reality is related to something called the Geiod.

My password is password

🤣

My password is password

This is why there is actually no such thing as 'sea level'.
next time you fly, make sure you inform the pilot and FO of this so they can deactivate the altimeters, since if there's no sea level then what's the point in relying on instruments calibrated against sea level references. exactly: no point at all

But Geiod !

Game, set and march

My password is password

Because Donald Trump will be spending the rest of his life behind bars, where the entire Republican party should be.

My password is password