Science : Why dust collects on fan blades

Why dust collects on fan blades

As the dust molecules pass through the air and interact with the leading edge of the fan blade, they become attracted to the charged edge, and thus stick there. The leading edge of the fan blade develops and maintains the most charge as a result of frictional forces, and thus pulls in the most dust.

Airflow and fluid dynamics are other reasons for dust build up on your ceiling fan blades, especially if they are metal blades. While it may sound complicated, the explanation is quite simple.

While the blades move through the air continuously, the air that resides directly above the fan blades does not move. In other words, all the air surrounding the fan blades will move, except the air between the fan blades and the ceiling.

Re: Why dust collects on fan blades…

Thanks! I've wondered about this for a LONG TIME. yes.gif

"THAT'S SOME BAD SHIT, HARRY!". wink.gif

Re: Why dust collects on fan blades

And all this time I just figured it was because I was too damn lazy to clean them!

That's what I always thought.

smile.gif

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤨 Let's go, Brandon! 🤨 Try that in a small town.

laugh.gif

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

Yeah, don't blame ya because you have any idea how goddamn hard it is to clean them when they are moving?

"Please vote to preserve the unique character of Warren…" - Robert Duvall

I have the bumps on the head to prove it from the last time i tried.

Yeah bro.
And I have a reattached right hand.

That’s what you get for using a metal plane propeller instead of normal fan blades.

Well, ya know, when you get a Cessna that crashes through your roof you gotta make lemonade out of lemons.

I love the Swffer extended duster. So easy to reach to dust them. If you do this once a week. No dust will accumulate. And you should damp-wipe them once a month if you can. I know some ceiling fans are very high, but a damp cloth on an extension pole does the trick.

I let ours go for too long. I had to stand on top of the kitchen table to clean them

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

That's not safe. You should have gotten your mom to do it so you wouldn't fall and get hurt.

I managed 👍