Religion, Faith, and Spirituality : Jesus dying for our sins? Not impressed…

Re: Jesus dying for our sins? Not impressed…

Floridian
BlogSpot

He was a criminal, this is true. But one man’s criminal is another’s Vlad.

I'm cumming.

Jesus was a criminal and thus was arrested and executed. That's all there is to it.
In composing the narrative of Jesus, the authors felt they needed to depict him as a criminal because they'd read it in Isaiah 53:12c: "he was numbered with the transgressors."

This wasn't a 'prophecy' about Jesus, mind you. It was simply a text that they picked out and applied to the character they were developing. The same was true of all such "prophecies."

§« The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters. »§

It’s possible his sacrifice shouldn’t be taken at face value. Perhaps it’s significant because the act caused some permanent repercussions for JC/God (they’re essentially one entity, right?). I’m thinking it’s bigger picture than any negative effects experienced by the god, however.

I’ve always found it an interesting story. I’m not very religious in any traditional sense and don’t care to read scripture, but I’ve always interpreted “his sacrifice” to he that he sacrificed godhood to become a mortal, albeit a special one, subjected to the trials and tribulations man must endure.

His sacrifice was not so much supposed to be for him, anyways. It is a symbolic gesture to notify mankind of his divinity and, therefore, signal to them whose creed is the right one. As a consequence of this, a portion of mankind would thus “know” that the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth are a pathway to salvation following Original sin. Through the sacrifice, man is shown “the way” to salvation; his death allowed us to discover how to cleanse ourselves of our sins, our impurities of mind and action.

It’s simple. Christ, man.

I'm cumming.