Religion, Faith, and Spirituality : Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😼

Re: Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Agree w/George Carlin

There have been many atheist prophets.

Uh, look man. Make tool! Caveman. No fool!
I GameBoy - H. superior

Name one, Billy Bob.

Easy, Friedrich Nietzsche.

I GameBoy - H. superior

Fair enough, Billy Bob. Just wondered who you considered to be Atheist prophets.

PS It was a joke.

Yes, I get the joke.

Atheists get angry when they're compared to religion. But if you look at it all as just various philosophies, atheists had their wisemen who foretold the future as well. Marx is another atheist prophet. And Sartre. I dunno, Ayn Rand as well?

I GameBoy - H. superior

I knew you did, but your response was so serious.

Oh well. I try to work with the material I'm given, keep things moving.

I GameBoy - H. superior

Fair enough, carry on.

Marx was the ultimate atheist prophet.

I wouldn't wanna live under Communism. But I think Marx outlined history, the fundamental war between the classes, and how best society can be organized so everyone benefits equally. It's the most practical efficient solution.

One can even look at despots like Stalin or Mao as being mere stewards of the dictatorship of the proletariat. Eventually that dictatorship will devolve into truly egalitarian communism.

I GameBoy - H. superior

Aren't those ideologues who simply happen to be atheist, among other things?

After all, atheism is merely non-belief in God(s), with nothing else attached. It has no other propositions. No laws, no liturgies, no leaders, no prophets.

§« The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters. »§

The same can be said of "theism". That encompasses everything from the Pope to an animist witch doctor.

Belief or non-belief in an infinite and creator god is rather pivotal to one's view of the universe.

I also think it's fair to say that atheism was fundamental to Marx's, Nietzsche's and Sartre's philosophies.

I GameBoy - H. superior

The same can be said of "theism". That encompasses everything from the Pope to an animist witch doctor.
Not really, precisely because it encompasses everything. In terms of belief, atheism could be characterized as 'nothing,' and theism as a very definite 'something,' including the 'everything' you listed.

Generally speaking, no one calls themselves a 'theist'; it pretty much always comes affiliated with one's particular god-belief.
I also think it's fair to say that atheism was fundamental to Marx's, Nietzsche's and Sartre's philosophies.
In what way?

It would be interesting to see you argue how their philosophical systems were natural or inevitable outgrowths of mere non-belief in god(s).

If atheism is primarily a belief in "nothing", that's mainly because history has been dominated by religion. We'll have to wait a few centuries when the existence of god is only an ancient memory before atheism can stand alone and not as a negation of theism.

Marx was the ultimate rational materialist. Nothing was left to supernatural wrangling. His was an analysis of the material and how it defined history. His revolutionary concept was that labor can be assigned a value, just like cheese. It's impossible to reach such a conclusion with a reliance on god.

Nietzsche is obvious. If the individual will is the ultimate authority, then there is no higher authority such as a god. An imaginary god's will becomes irrelevant.

Sartre's "existence precedes essence" again puts the human will at the center. "Essence" is some divine purpose for which there is none. That's subordinate to the carnal being's needs.

I GameBoy - H. superior

atheism can stand alone and not as a negation of theism.
But atheism is a negation of theism; a-theism. When theism is gone, it will cease to be. It will have served its purpose.

The word atheism itself will always have the unintended effect of keeping the concept of theism alive. Perhaps a new concept, a new nomenclature, will need to be coined in order to be truly rid of theistic baggage.

Isn't your icon the god Pan?
Marx was the ultimate rational materialist. Nothing was left to supernatural wrangling. His was an analysis of the material and how it defined history. His revolutionary concept was that labor can be assigned a value, just like cheese. It's impossible to reach such a conclusion with a reliance on god.
You seem to think highly of him.

But the argument does rely upon 'god'; 'god' serves as a concept to be opposed.

It's why I've always opposed the claim that people are born atheist. In order to choose to become an atheist, one must first have met theism and rejected it.

What do you even mean by "prophet"?

It's just a joke, La'Shaunda.

Like Frank Zappa and George Carlin