Religion, Faith, and Spirituality : Churches bully non believers

Churches bully non believers

I cannot remember one instance in the bible where Jesus bullied anyone.

Yet Christians going to church are always bullying non believers.

God was the bully though. God bullied and murdered his own creations.

https://youtu.be/iPUwtyZglQI

https://youtu.be/QRTNm6GLJYI

Re: Churches bully non believers

Wrong. So incredibly wrong.

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😼

I cannot remember one instance in the bible where Jesus bullied anyone.
I can.

There's the time he called a foreign woman who had the temerity to speak to him a "little bitch" (Mark 7:27, Matthew 15:26).

There's also the time he attacked the money changers in the temple (Mark 11:15-19; Matthew 21:12-17; Luke 19:45-48; and John 2:13-16); in the latter account, he made a whip of cords and actually struck both they and the animals.

(To be clear, the gospel authors crafted the 'Cleansing of the Temple' story, not because money exchanges or animal sales were unlawful, but to narrate material derived pesher-style from the Septuagint. It was extracted from Malachi's messenger of the covenant purifying the sons of Levi (Mal.3:1-3; cf. Mark 1:2; 9:3), as well as the oracle of Zechariah: "And there shall no longer be a trader in the house of the Lord of Hosts on that day" (Zech. 14:21b). Jesus' pronouncements were derived from Isaiah 56:7b, "…my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations," and Jeremiah 7:11, "Has this house, which bears my Name, become a den of robbers to you?" It's literary composition, borrowing piece by piece, like a mosaic - not anything which actually happened. But it's worth citing in answer to instances of Jesus bullying, not least because the latter three gospel authors thought enough of it to steal it from 'Mark,' so that it's repeated four times. And of course, fundies like it precisely because of its violence; they like to imagine that, had anyone held a same-sex wedding in the Temple, Jesus would have made a whip of ropes and angrily driven everyone out, and whipped and whipped and 𝑤ℎ𝑖𝑝𝑝𝑒𝑑 the gay wedding cake until the whole scene was painted with cast-off frosting spatter. )

Then there's also the time Jesus sought fruit from a fig tree (Mark 11:12–25; Matthew 21:18–22), and cursed it because it had none. The original account, 'Mark,' notes that "it was not the season for figs," which made the whole thing unreasonable. 'Matthew' removes that explanation. In Luke 13:6–9, the story is made into a parable, rather than something Jesus was supposed to have done, and the tree is offered the chance of another season in which to produce.

The reason the three accounts differ is because none of them are actually talking about a fig tree. The tree is a metaphor for Israel, the Jewish people, and the differences represent the stances of the three gospel communities towards them, both in terms of Christian eschatology and in terms of Christian policy towards them. All have in view the results of the Jewish Wars of the then-recent past, that Jerusalem was sacked, and the Jewish people ultimately banished from Judaea, thence re-named Syria-Palaestina. The withering of the tree is a metaphor for these events; the stories commentary upon it. All three accounts are unsympathetic, although Luke's version leaves the tree alive, to see if it will bear fruit (that Jews will have another chance to become Christians).

Now that's bullying.

§« The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters. »§

Democrats are bullies too
▲ Top